General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How hard is charging your own A/C if there's no problem with it (just discharged)

Old 05-14-2017, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default How hard is charging your own A/C if there's no problem with it (just discharged)

Some youtube videos look like all you do is pull a vacuum on the system, replace the drier, and make sure you put the right amount of refrigerant in. Wondering if it's worth the trouble to buy the tools and do it myself or not...
Old 05-14-2017, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It can be done manually through an A/C manifold gauge. I myself would rather just have an A/C machine do everything in one shot. It all just depends on what you want to do. One thing to do, when you pull a vacuum, is after vacuuming for a while shut the pump off & seal the system through the gauge. Let it sit for a while. Keep checking the gauge to make sure it is holding the vacuum. If it slowly loses the vacuum there is a leak in the system. If the system wont hold a vacuum it will not hold the charge for very long. That's just another check I always did before recharge to help make sure the system is sealed. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How hard is charging your own A/C if there's no problem with it (just discharged)