Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Brake light with blinker wiring question

Old 07-19-2016, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake light with blinker wiring question

I did not see a section for wiring and this isn't a typical question so I thought this would be a good section to post in. Here is my problem, I am trying to wire up my blinker system. As easy as it should be, it is not. The front blinkers are not a problem but the rear are giving me a very hard time. My rear lights have both the parking light and brake light built in to one unit (and they are LED). Think of it like wiring trailer brake lights. I do not have separate blinkers. So I need a way to get the brake light part to work as a blinker and brake lights at the same time. So if I wire it up and use relays, I can get the whole system to work but only as long as I am on the brakes. If I do it another way, everything works fine until you hit the brakes. So I ditched those ideas. I went out and got a cheap trailer light conversion box as suggested on another forum. It was one that goes from a 5 pin input to a 4 pin output. It was supposed to mix the blinkers in with the brake lights. Well that didn't work either. I could get the park lights to come on but nothing else worked. Maybe this is due to using LEDs without a load resistor? I have a LED style flasher (Painless # 80230) that I am using as well.

Anyone know of something that would work for me? I don't care if it is a module that I need or a series of relays. I just need blinkers!
Old 07-25-2016, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using the same lights for running lights, blinkers and brakes can get I little complicated. You can do it with a flasher and double throw switch but it's a little complicated.

LEDs should only affect the blinking speed of the flasher. A load resistor is fine for this.

Running lights(low watt) tied to the lights. Brake lights(high watt) to the pedal. 1157 type bulb. I hope that makes some sense. http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/turn-signals.html. See the first diagram.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Exidous - thanks for the link. Sadly neither of the 2 first digrams will work. The first one is for a separate blinker. My brake lights are also the blinkers on the same bulb. Running light is separate. Everything on the second diagram is fine, except that the conversion box will not work with leds. Trust me, I tried. I did not try it with load resistors on it though. Do you think that would make the conversion box work?
Old 07-25-2016, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It should.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Well I am going to try doing an out of car mock up with some standard lights and the converter box. If it works that way, I will pick up some load resistors and give it another try. The front blinkers are standard bulbs so that might eliminate the need for load resistors. We will see.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake light with blinker wiring question