Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Braided fuel line "Paths" to the motor: Anyone have ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Braided fuel line "Paths" to the motor: Anyone have ideas?

I'm trying to get my -10AN fuel line up to the motor (at which point I have to "T" or "Y" to (2) -8AN 's to feed the back of the fuel rails, but that's another issue!) and I'm having a hard time finding a good "path" up the pass. side to get by these large headers without them (Fuel lines) being exposed to too much heat. Anyone have ideas or pics of what you have done. Maybe through the pass. side fender well?

As a side bar, I ran my main fuel line coming from the cell to the motor as well as the return line going from the regulator to the cell along the "inside" of my sub frames. Someone mentioned this was not in-line with NHRA/IHRA rules and that the lines had to be on the "outside" of the frame rails. This ring any bells with anyone?

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WARDLAW `02 Z
As a side bar, I ran my main fuel line coming from the cell to the motor as well as the return line going from the regulator to the cell along the "inside" of my sub frames. Someone mentioned this was not in-line with NHRA/IHRA rules and that the lines had to be on the "outside" of the frame rails. This ring any bells with anyone?
im very curious about this myself... anyone know for sure???
Old 08-14-2006, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Default NHRA Rules

Quoting the 2006 NHRA Rulebook, p. 196:

Fuel lines (except steel braided lines) in the flywheel/bellhousing area must be enclosed in a 16-inch length of steel tubing, 1/8-inch-minimum wall thickness securely mounted as a protection against fuel-line rupture. Fuel lines may not be routed in the driveshaft tunnel...

That's the only reference that I can find.

My braided lines run along the outside of the passenger side frame and up inside the passenger-side wheel well.

c
Old 08-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cnorton

My braided lines run along the outside of the passenger side frame and up inside the passenger-side wheel well.

c
Thanks for the input.

Do you mean kind of following the path of an LT1 car? With the pump/cell combo I'm using, running up the pass side was the only real option. I'm good with the return line on the drive. side but getting the main fuel line up the drivers side wouldn't have worked. Part of the problem is the lack of flexability of the -10AN hose. It's tuff to snake around and make tight bends.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Teching In

While I'm asking I may as well try to pick up a few ideas as to splitting off fron the -10AN to the (2) -8AN's and feeding the fuel rails from the rear. I'm using the typical "post rail/injector" regulated return system where essentially you hit the rear of the fuel rails with your two lines split from the main "send" line, then you come off the front of the rails with two lines to the regulator, at which point it regulates pressure by how much fuel you send back to the tank. My problem is finding a spot on or in the pass. side wheel well to mount a "Y" block to split to my two smaller lines to feed the rails from the rear.

Anyone do a simular set-up?
Old 08-14-2006, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Default Y-block

Can't help you there. I fed my fuel rails from the front. The Y-block sits just above the water pump (LT1), below and in front of the TB. The return lines come forward under the plenum (sheet metal manifold) and connect to the regulator below the throttle body. The main return line then parallels the main feed line. I was advised to keep the #8 feed lines the same length and the return lines before the regulator the same length, side-to-side. It complicated the routing somewhat but it works well.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Makes sense with the equal length. I'm using a carb style intake which does have some room to route lines under the manifold but I would worry about heat soak issues with the metal braid, etc. I could be over thinking it a bit!
Old 08-14-2006, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Not necessarily. It depends on your intended use for the car. My car is a 100% drag car that only runs for a few minutes at a time. Heat soak into the return lines has little effect on my car because at that point the fuel is already past the injectors and on the way back to the cell. The cell gets refilled after every pass. My engine coolant temperatures rarely exceed 170 degrees. If you have a different application you may need to be very cognizant of fuel temperatures.

Good luck.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

10an is HUGE. Im sure you could go 8 an to 6an return. Look into it
Old 08-15-2006, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Smile

I'm using -10AN from the A1000 pump up to the motor where I'm splitting to (2) -8AN's to feed the rails, then (2) -8AN's from the rails to the regulator, then from the reg. to the cell with a -6AN return. Big plans call for a big fuel system! It may be a little overkill for my current set-up but.............

Quick Reply: Braided fuel line "Paths" to the motor: Anyone have ideas?