Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Can someone clear up this "myth" for me.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can someone clear up this "myth" for me.

Correct me, please, if I am wrong.

I thought that more stroke generally gave more low end torque. It always seemed that way when I saw these motors with less stroke end up with less torque and all the motors with more stroke end up with more torque.

Say you take two identical motors with the exception that motor B has more stroke. Would motor B be making more torque because of the stroke or simply because it has a higher displacement?
Old 11-13-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

longer strokes deliver power for a longer duration as they are simply moving downward farther. That makes for more TQ. Shorter strokes make for higher revs and more top end. The strokes in mst diesels are retardedly long. Hence the extremeloy low rpm band. GL man

John
Old 11-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Diesel torque has more to do with where in the stroke the fuel injection and combustion occurs than it does with extraordinarily long stroke.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by adillhoff
Say you take two identical motors with the exception that motor B has more stroke. Would motor B be making more torque because of the stroke or simply because it has a higher displacement?
From what I know you would be correct, the longer stroke should make more tq down lower. In fact I think you could make 2 motors identical, except stroke one a little and then overbore the other one so that they had identical displacement, and I would still think the longer stroke motor would edge out the other in tq down low.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Very helpful stuff... for me at least.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Longer stroke always = more torque

Why, can't help ya there.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Diesels make alot of torque mainly because of the extremely high cylinder pressures they get running high CR, and utilizing compression ignition.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:45 AM
Staging Lane

CR is not a dominant factor in determining the torque of either a spark or a compression ignition engine.

Here, let C.J. Baker explain diesel torque in the Banks Engineering tech talks:
... Now let’s discuss effective cylinder pressure on the power stroke of a diesel as compared to that in a gasoline engine. We’ve already mentioned that higher turbocharger boost raises the effective cylinder pressure, but let’s look at what else comes into play. In “Understanding Today’s Diesel” elsewhere on this site, the way fuel is introduced into the cylinder is thoroughly discussed for both gasoline and diesel engines. Gasoline engines mix the fuel with the air before it enters the cylinder, so when the intake valve closes, the power potential of that air and fuel charge is set. The timed spark ignites the mixture and cylinder pressure rises to a peak at roughly 15º after TDC. Because the combustion process takes time, combustion may or may not be complete by 15º after TDC depending on engine RPM, but for all practical purposes, we can say that the process of combustion is concluded early in the power stroke and that no more heating of the working fluid (the gases in the cylinder) occurs. This means the force acting on the piston top is highest at a time when the connecting rod has very little leverage on the crankshaft pin. As the crankshaft continues to rotate past TDC, the leverage the piston can exert increases, but the pressure on the piston top is dropping quickly. This, too, is discussed in the aforementioned article.

Once you envision when combustion occurs and the relationship between cylinder pressure and leverage on the crankshaft, it becomes obvious that if we could continue the burning process longer into the power stroke, additional cylinder pressure could be generated to push on the piston top as connecting rod-to-crankshaft angle improves for more leverage, and hence more torque. This is exactly what happens in a diesel. Because the fuel is injected into the cylinder after the intake valve is closed and the air is compressed, the length of the fuel injection pulse, called pulse width, can be extended well into the power stroke. This means the average effective cylinder pressure acting on the piston is higher in a diesel than in a comparably sized gasoline engine. The higher turbo boost pressure, high compression ratio, and greater heat content of the fuel all add to the generation of cylinder pressure that is substantially higher than in gasoline engines too, but it is this continued injection of fuel that really makes the big torque numbers for diesels. And all of this taken together makes it apparent why diesel engines have to be built with such robust parts to withstand this high cylinder pressure and torque.

Last edited by LILS; 11-14-2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

It has more to do with the displacement. If you had two engines with similar displacement, and one
engine had a larger bore as opposed to the stroke, the results would be very
close.

The larger bore in this example would also breathe a little better because the
valves would be unshrouded.

Where the torque peak occurs has to do with the depression created by the
piston at a certain RPM. The longer stroke would normally place the peak
lower in the RPM range as the shorter stroke requires more RPM to achieve
the same piston speed.

Diesel engines make more torque because of fuel energy, and compression.
Comparing the two motors is a far stretch. Diesels are normally boosted as welll.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:21 AM
Teching In

If the peak volumetric efficiencies of two identical engines occur at a mean piston speed of 2000 feet per second,
the longer stroke one will reach this speed at lower rpm.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/enginetheory.htm

Paul
Old 11-14-2006, 08:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adillhoff
The latter. The "stroke gives torque" thing is a myth. It's because of the displacement. Aside from ability to rev and valve shrouding, displacement is displacement. All the top engine builders will tell you the same, and several magazines have done back-to-back tests verifying this.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure where I read it (maybe MM&FF or something) but they built two motors of identical displacement, one small bore long stroke and the other big bore short stroke.

The Long stroke motor did make more low end but not by as much as was thought, however due to the long stroke it didn't like the high rpms so made less PEAK hp.

Also another thing to remember is the rest of the configuration of the motor. Most DOHC setups are big bore short stroke motors, this is beacuse it suits the valvetrain for higher rpms.

Most OHV motors don't favour high rpms due to limitations in the valve train, so to maximise potential a long stroke motor is often the better answer.

A victim of getting it WRONG is the Ford Modular SOHC 4.6 2v unit as found in the sn95 Mustang. OHC valvetrain ideal for high revs but they give the motor a long stroke, this of course gives it the American style low end grunt but totally voids the advantage of running OHC. Combine this with only a small bore and the breathing abilty and that's why in stock trim they aren't very powerful and feel breathless as you close in on the red line.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Regular

I see. Thank you very much. There are some good replies here.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

The simplest way to think of it is with leverage. The same force of the piston on a longer moment arm from the stroke means more torque. Of course you can't just change stroke without either changing displacement or bore.

Same thing applies to bore, since the force on the top of the piston equals pressure times piston area, increasing bore increases the force of the piston on the crankshaft. More force times the same distance equals more torque. But also more displacement, just like stroke.

Maybe a better comparison would be, how does stroke affect torque/displacement? But that's already been answered.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Theox
If the peak volumetric efficiencies of two identical engines occur at a mean piston speed of 2000 feet per second,
the longer stroke one will reach this speed at lower rpm.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/enginetheory.htm

Paul

Bingo!!

This has to do with piston speed and thermal effiecency. Higher piston speeds can typically induce a higher VE.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

If you search a few pages down, there was a very detailed discussion on this topic a couple of months ago, with a lot of useful info.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow.... this is a hell of a thread full of BS. Longer strokes do not make more HP, given equal displacement and cylinder filling it's the same.

There was a good article in Hot Rod that dyno tested and verified this exact issue at hand and they found that the larger bore, shorter stroke motor made a few more ft lbs of TQ at the low RPM area of the test range.... either way it was within testing differences.

I think it was June 2005 pg 98-106

I suggest some of the posters on this thread read that before they go laying opinions on the matter down.

Bret
Old 11-14-2006, 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
I think it was [Hotrod Magazine] June 2005 pg 98-106
Yes, thank you. That is what I was referring to.

I suggest some of the posters on this thread read that before they go laying opinions on the matter down.

Bret

Waaaayyy too much of that stuff going on here at LS1tech. People, if you're not CERTAIN of something, don't post up. This is not a frickin' democracy. Too much misinformation here!
Old 11-15-2006, 01:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quickin
Longer stroke always = more torque

Why, can't help ya there.

This is a completely incorrect blanket statement.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
This is a completely incorrect blanket statement.
I've seen radical 346 engines with more hp than my 436 stroker and it had 50 less RWTQ. Every 383, 396, 402 and almost all the 418's also have less torque. I've never ever seen an engine with less ci than my 436 and have the same or more torque. I'm talking about daily driver type engines, I have no idea about all out race engines, so maybe they do.

I'm talking about daily driver type engine builds.

Quick Reply: Can someone clear up this "myth" for me.