Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Cryogenically treated rotors whats the advantage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cryogenically treated rotors whats the advantage?

I have seen alot of companys that offer rotors that are cryopgenically treated, whats the advantage of freezing a rotor? I have always know that lower temperatures slow down molecules in liquids and gasses, what effect would this have on metals?
Old 12-08-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it has to do with the alignment of the metal "crystals" at the molecular level. Before cryo treating, they are faced in many different directions, but when cooled significantly, the crystals algin and strengthen the part.

I think this is how it work. Hit up wikipedia if you want to learn more...
Old 12-08-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Grain size will change.. Its been a while but seems like I remeber the grains clump and from larger grains which means less grain boundarys which = less slip planes. It also relieves internal stress which can cause warping later. I feel like I'm wrong on this so someone correct me if you know otherwise.

one important note... cryo treating aluminum does nothing.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alvin@pcmforless.com
one important note... cryo treating aluminum does nothing.
The cryo place that I use has found about a 50% increase in durability of aluminum connecting rods from treating them. The other benifit of cryoing aluminum pistons is that it helps slip between the surfaces without scuffing the skirt as badly, just like a coating that is applied to pistons today. I also know for a fact that it helps your cylinder heads disipate heat much better than a non-treated head. When I had a set of heads powder coated it took 25-30 minutes for the powder to melt, where as a non-treated head usually only takes 15-18 minutes to melt. The other thing was that the powder coat had a very hard time bonding to the pore's of the aluminum and flaked off rather easily.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basically stated, having your rotors cryogenically frozen will make them stronger, and last longer, all while not storing as much heat during extreme braking conditions.

I have X-drilled and slotted rotors. The last set I had ended up with cracks between the X-drilled section after 10,000 miles. My new set I had cryogenically frozen, and I can already tell a difference as they don't seem to heat up as quickly. I am confident it will take much longer for my rotors to wear or crack as well.

IMO, its worth the money, and I will be doing it again.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can this be done to make other parts on a car stronger? I dont see why not
Old 12-09-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GMmexican
Can this be done to make other parts on a car stronger? I dont see why not
It sure can. Lots of people do this to other parts such as pistons, gears in the rear end, driveshafts, ect.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know of a cryo place here in Texas? I have more han a few tranny parts I need to deep freeze.

Mec
Old 12-09-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a explanation for steel

http://www.metalscience.com/techinfo_ASM.php

Last edited by DanO; 12-09-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Greaseymec
Does anyone know of a cryo place here in Texas? I have more han a few tranny parts I need to deep freeze.

Mec
There are a TON of places all accross the US. When I was shopping around for it, I found dozens just in PA alone.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

There are more cryo places back east than out here on the western half of the USA, its just a little harder to find them. This is the place that I have cryo all of my stuff. He will be more than willing to help you with any tech question you can think of. Here is the web site: www.cryogenictechnologies.com .

Last edited by 1997bird; 12-10-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1997bird
There are more cryo places back east than out here on the western half of the USA, its just a little harder to find them. This is the place that I have cryo all of my stuff. He will be more than willing to help you with any tech question you can think of. Here is the web site: www.crogenictechnologies.com .

Thanks! I give them a ring. (pssst...your link would work a bit better if you put the "y" in cryo)

Mec
Old 12-10-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fixed it.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cryo is the holy grail. It's finally been found and it makes everything last forever and make more horsepower. You will see entire Nextel Cup cars being treated just prior to shipping to a race.

Chrome moly? tool steel? maraging steel? titanium? unobtainium? You no longer need to invest in expensive, hard to machine metals. Just cryo everything!

Oh, yeah, sometimes it also helps transform retained austenite into martensite either in tool steels which might develop a lot of retained austenite during heat treating or due to less than expert heat treating.

Did anyone else notice that some of the "cryo houses" are not heat treaters, but just "cryo"? Why is that if "cryo" is a heat treating operation?

Jon

Last edited by Old SStroker; 12-10-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know that Nick properly heat treats all of his work, as in the amount of soak time in sub-zero temps as well as afterwards in above zero temps. He does heat treat(above zero) the materials in three seperate cycles in order to put the proper temper back into it. He works with a metallurgist in developing the best job possible with the current findings on different metals. You also have to be carefull with different companies out there that like to take shortcuts in bolth sub-zero & above zero temps. The parent company 300* Below recommends no less than a 24hr. soak time at -300*, Nick and the metallurgist he uses have found that better results come from a 30-32 hr. soak time. Nick has incorporated this into his standard prices, which are cheaper than other companies that I have got prices from. The other draw back that you have to be carefull about is not tempering the material being used properly. Nick is a car enthusiast and a mechanic as well, he has had some pretty good results from cryogenicly treating his parts. He has a big contract with Stanley* tools and does this other on the side for completetion loads with some of his leftover or smaller loads. Technically he doesn't need the side work per se, but a little extra here and there never hurts. I personaly believe the man, but call and talk to him and draw your own conclusions.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok this is going to sounds realy dumb, but why not just fit bigger brakes??

i wonder if race teams run cryo treated brakes?? guess there is little need with carbon ceramics!

Chris.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:10 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Few others threads:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=cryo
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=cyro
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=cryo

Originally Posted by chuntington101

i wonder if race teams run cryo treated brakes?? guess there is little need with carbon ceramics!

Chris.
Sometimes that's not always an option. Wheel fitment comes to mind.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Sometimes that's not always an option. Wheel fitment comes to mind.
awwww didn't think of that!

Chris.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by chuntington101

Chris.
I am thinking this is for people that are racing and can't change rotors in the middle of a race or are tired of changing them all the time.

Bigger means more mass and reduced performance.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:22 AM
Banned

The shortblock in my GN is cryo'd and girdled. I did it 10 years ago or so.

Molecules are always in motion, and not always perfectly spaced or alligned. Cryogenics slows molecular movent down to the point electromagnetic properties can realign the molecules into a more uniform grain or pattern. It permanently changes the structure of the metal.

Last edited by Asmodeus; 12-16-2007 at 04:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Cryogenically treated rotors whats the advantage?