Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Good fences make good neighbors

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good fences make good neighbors

I bought a set of TA door panels for my camaro and I wanted to get the center insert recovered in leather. I have a neighbor that has a custom shop (he also owes me a favor) and he quoted me $360 to take the door panels apart, recover insert, and put the door panels back together. The door panels are already off the car so he wouldn't even have to do that. This seems high to me, he has tried to gouge me before ($1800 for a set of wheels & tires that I can get from a sponsor for $1400, that was the "friend" rate). I was just wondering what the going rate for something like this is.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If all materials were supplied... $50-$70 a panel... maybe...

Probably better off to DIY...

-Rick
Old 11-19-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought he "owed you a favor" not an *** raping.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RickyMartinZ28
If all materials were supplied... $50-$70 a panel... maybe...

Probably better off to DIY...

-Rick
He would be supplying all materials, and I would do it myself, but the reason I bought TA door panels is because I "Did it myself" on my camaro door panels and totally trashed them and then couldn't bring myself to put that abortion back into my car. I was wanting somebody that knows what they are doing to do it. And yes, he (neighbor) is a bastard.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$360 is kinda high but you also haven't stated exactly what kinda work your wanting to get done. So $360 for both completely done might not be too awful bad considering what your wanting.

If just basic insert replacement I'd suggest doin it yourself & like stated the material shouldn't be more than $80. If thats all your wanting done he is definetly gouging you.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
If just basic insert replacement I'd suggest doin it yourself & like stated the material shouldn't be more than $80. If thats all your wanting done he is definetly gouging you.
Yup, Thats it. Just a simple recovering of the insert.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

More like $20 in materials, total...
Old 11-19-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most people get quoted around $125 a door, that's for a complete job with the shop supplying all materials. I had a very small, local shop do a quote for me and they said $50 a door. - I wish I would have went with them now. This wasn't a friend discount or anything; I've seen this shop do two tone seats (pair) for $200 including refoaming them. They are just in South Tucson and located right next to a few other upholstery shops, so they have to compete.

So that gives you an idea of how much he could really do it for, if he wanted to be a good neighbor.

I ended up just ordering the materials and doing it myself.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

More like $20 in materials, total...
More like $30-40 if you do it youself. The material will cost a little more than $20 (if you order online, it will cost ALOT more locally) and the glue you need is about $11.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh, By the way, you owe me 100 bux for the pic of my hvac with the ***** off for your measurement!!!!LOL! Do it yourself. Sounds like he's out to get your money!
Old 11-19-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

overpriced if you ask me just for the insert replacement. and really i thought he owed you a favor not an *** raping.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Woah, McNord, I just realized you're in Arizona. It mite be worth the trip to drive down to Tucson to get them done at $50 a panel. I've seen the shops work, they do good work.

Haha, I'm in the process of doing mine myself and also totally destroyed one of the panels. It was a pretty sad sight to see.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:34 AM
TECH Resident

does the ta door panels have to be modified to fit in the camaro?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by McNord
He would be supplying all materials, and I would do it myself, but the reason I bought TA door panels is because I "Did it myself" on my camaro door panels and totally trashed them and then couldn't bring myself to put that abortion back into my car. I was wanting somebody that knows what they are doing to do it. And yes, he (neighbor) is a bastard.

Sounds like you have you ansewer.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

You probably need one yard of vinyl, One can of adhesive... I did mine similarly in leather and used about that or less...
Old 11-20-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98MNBZ28
does the ta door panels have to be modified to fit in the camaro?
yes it does
Old 11-20-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

You probably need one yard of vinyl, One can of adhesive... I did mine similarly in leather and used about that or less...
All the Firebird write up's I've seen say 2-3 yards, but I can't say for sure.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, looking at the scale here, probably atleast 2... but still...
Old 11-20-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would pass on whatever your neighbor wants to offer you in the future. It sounds like he doesn't want to bother and if you happen to fall for his ridiculous price it will be worth it for him. I don't know anything about him as a person or his quality of work, but thats what those #s are telling me. Good luck with the doors and there are writeups to help you. Just think of the first set as a practice set and this try will be that much easier.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Counted Out
Most people get quoted around $125 a door, that's for a complete job with the shop supplying all materials. I had a very small, local shop do a quote for me and they said $50 a door. - I wish I would have went with them now. This wasn't a friend discount or anything; I've seen this shop do two tone seats (pair) for $200 including refoaming them. They are just in South Tucson and located right next to a few other upholstery shops, so they have to compete.

So that gives you an idea of how much he could really do it for, if he wanted to be a good neighbor.

I ended up just ordering the materials and doing it myself.
I may have to take a trip out there, I want to eventually get the seats done too so if I go that route I will wait until I have everything together and go out there once. I am still debating on doing it myself too.

Originally Posted by WS6Jim
I would pass on whatever your neighbor wants to offer you in the future. It sounds like he doesn't want to bother and if you happen to fall for his ridiculous price it will be worth it for him. I don't know anything about him as a person or his quality of work, but thats what those #s are telling me. Good luck with the doors and there are writeups to help you. Just think of the first set as a practice set and this try will be that much easier.
I don't think thats the case, I do his graphic design and he thinks I am overcharging him. I usually charge $50-$60 an hour plus 2 times printing cost (I need to be covered incase there is a problem and the printing needs to be redone) but I told him a long time ago that since we were neighbors I would only charge $35 an hour and put him in touch with my printer so he could take care of that himself. He said thats cool and he would "hook me up" at his shop. He later started bitching about my prices saying he can get the guy that works at kinkos to do it off the clock for $12 an hour-lol. I just told him "you get what you pay for" and I would be happy to give him all his artwork to take to the kinkos guy, but he still comes back to me for all his work and bitches about my discount prices. I think he is just trying to get back at me, but I think I WAS giving him a pretty good deal.

Thanks for all the good info, I have seen several wright ups and was wondering if there were any that were better than the others. Since I dont have a clue what I am doing on this kind of stuff its hard for me to tell a good wright up from an incomplete wright up.

Quick Reply: Good fences make good neighbors