Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Making Dash Pad Cover Out Of Vinyl...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Making Dash Pad Cover Out Of Vinyl...

I bought a few yards of vinyl that looks a lot like leather today, only cost $14. I'm going to use my crappy fuzzy/carpet dash pad as a template and have red stitching around this new one. The dash is really cracked all over so I'm hoping the fact that this vinyl is thinner it won't be a problem, I'll have to tape the pieces of the dash down so they are more flush I guess. It's going to have red stitching as an outline.

What do you think about covering over the A/C vents too? I don't have A/C so I don't use them. It being thin like I said, I may have to remove the vents, and it would have to be wrapped tight with no slack to look good.

Here's a reference pic of how the dash pad I had looked and you can visualize what I'll be doing:

http://www.streettrendsinc.com/Merch...0002/24211.jpg

It beats $150+ for a new dash, and will look different.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds interesting, and anything would be better than the cheap plastic/cheap carpet one's. Who thought carpet on the dash looked good anyway? Outside of **** carpeted pimp cars.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe someone can photoshop without vents. i couldn't picture it.

also, post pics of results. this sounds like a pretty good way to switch from gray to black interior.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
I'll have to tape the pieces of the dash down so they are more flush I guess.

Honestly? I think you'd have an easier time if you reused your existing carpet dash cover as a heavy duty backing for the new vinyl.

I'm thinking that in every spot that you put vinyl directly over (two-sided?) tape, the tape is going to show through from underneath.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm working some things out right now.....jb weld spread over the cracks for smoothness, and upholstery foam and/or some other material where the plastic is gone for further flushness. Maybe even use the pad as suggested by you soundandfury, but I'd like it to be less thick.....maybe shave the carpet? lol.

I don't know when I'll be able to get back to this, probably not til thanksgiving, but I'm going to cut the pattern and leave a lot of extra material at the bottom so I can visualize how it will look covering the vents....I really can't visualize it either.

Pics this weekend.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about a layer of the woven fiberglass? Cut the fiberglass into squares or strips and barely overlap em. Once it all cures, only light (if any) sanding would be needed to take out any really high spots. This would give you the best surface to spray glue onto to hold your material down and ALSO smooth out the surface of your dash. Depending on how cracked your dash is. If it's just a couple spots, then the JB Weld will do OK, but if it looks like mud dried and cracked in the desert, the fiberglass will be your best bet.
Either way you go, good luck and I hope it turns out great! I really want to see how it looks with the stitching! Maybe you could use the first one as a template and make several for some profit!

Swat
Old 11-25-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm working on it, playing it by ear....

If you can see, it's actually going to be two pieces, sewn together, w/ red stitch outline. I'm having a bit of trouble with the second piece that goes above the gauges.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

that dash is horrible!!!! just buy a new one (or used).
Old 11-25-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-94...Q5fAccessories

$212....and that's on ebay....wanna buy it for me? I'm so broke I shouldn't even have bought the vinyl, and work is slow lately in body shops.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think I'm going to have a Z28 logo embroidered above the glove box. Maybe something like this:

http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/z28-floor-mats.html

Or "LT1" and then Z28 below that, but definitely the 4th gen emblem, I think it fits best. Possibly the 1st gen style though...
Old 11-30-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you search on camaroz28.com there are a few guys who did this with good success. But i think you just should consider buying one totally new. Yours is bad. But anyways, do a search, you ll find plently.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

what i want to try with mine is take the dash out, tight wrap and glue a piece of vinyl to it, and reinstall it
Old 11-30-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've already considered it, it's ridiculous. I have much more important things I must pay for and I'm having trouble with those things, I don't make a lot of money.

I'm almost done and I've only spent $14. . My dad thinks he can do the embroidered "Z28" too.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$212 on ebay! That one was a rip off. I've seen them on e-bay for $20! No lie. I think before you put down your cover, epoxy the pieces back together so you won't have these cracks showing. Really tho, do a better search on e-bay you can get better.

Well, here's one after a quich search. $35 free shipping! Act quick, 1 available. : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-94...Q5fAccessories
Old 11-30-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

^dude, that's a cover, it's not the dash itself. It's the same one I just took off in fact, only mine had the proper holes and covered the entire dash, not just the upper half. I thought it was the upper dash for a second too. Thanks though.

They used to be $160.....still too much.

I already epoxyed everything down.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:18 AM
Banned

i would buy black vinyl cloth and have the edges stitched in. I wouldn't cover the passenger air bag IMO

Quick Reply: Making Dash Pad Cover Out Of Vinyl...