Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LED LS1 tail light project finally underway...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am now debating whether to order amber LEDs and do the front turn signals as well.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Heres a tip, got it from InfiniteReality. ( Great guy btw knows everything you need to know about LED's )

Noticed you couldnt see the leds when standing up looking down on them ( as mentiond in another post ). Grind the leds down flat instead of having the DOME on the end. You get more light in every direction instead of it being directed strait back.

Works wonders, i had a 74 LED tail light ( HAD ) and it was almost as bright as the front of my car lol. ( Had to take it off becase i was being harassed too much by the cops about it, i am thinking about putting it back on though )
Old 12-29-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it's cool that you did it but I think there spaced to far apart
Old 12-29-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had them spaced like that bcz i only had so many LEDs
Old 12-29-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks excellent man. i cant wait to see the finished product. congrats.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

got the electronic flasher put in today and rewired my gauge pod. still waiting on those white LEDs...
Old 12-31-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

gotta admit, i like what u have done so for. Normally not a fan cuz i think they look like pimples..urs just about look facotry. Hope i see the rest turn out the same. good work
Old 12-31-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks man if all goes well i will probably do the front turn signals as well
Old 01-01-2009, 05:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Great Job I like the new technology blended in with the OEM look. Very Nice. I absolutely hate the import look on our cars.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by italicizedsponge
thanks man if all goes well i will probably do the front turn signals as well
I'd like to see if you decide to do it
Old 01-02-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by enigmah
Heres a tip, got it from InfiniteReality. ( Great guy btw knows everything you need to know about LED's )

Noticed you couldnt see the leds when standing up looking down on them ( as mentiond in another post ). Grind the leds down flat instead of having the DOME on the end. You get more light in every direction instead of it being directed strait back.

Works wonders, i had a 74 LED tail light ( HAD ) and it was almost as bright as the front of my car lol. ( Had to take it off becase i was being harassed too much by the cops about it, i am thinking about putting it back on though )
I took your advice when ordering the orange LEDs for the front turn signals. There is a US seller on ebay that sells flat top LEDs for not much more than the regular dome LEDs. So i picked up 100 for just over $12 shipped with flat top. Couldnt justify saving a buck to spend forever grinding LEDs down. oh yeah they are 5mm also.

I was looking at one of my oem turn signals in my room and it looks very easy to cut and fit a big strip of LEDs across. I'll be doing roughly 50 per signal since i ordered 100.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

cant wait to see how it all looks.. love the way it loooks new style for the oem look... !! i have always loved how the tail lights on the 98-02 look.. but this is something i am gonna have to do too.. hopefully becomes a sticky!
Old 01-05-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So yeah i ordered some Flat LEDs from ebay saturday and already got them today!! from NYC to detroit. so wednesday hopefully ill have time to cut the front turn signals apart and get something started. i also finished the board for the other turn signal and should be all finished with the tail lights wednesday.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Finished 2nd tail light today! It was snowing all day so i couldnt get my car out of the garage to make a video since my car was backed in. it looks awesome though
Old 01-07-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

finished 2nd tail light today! It was snowing all day so i couldnt get my car out of the garage to make a video since my car was backed in. It looks awesome though
pics or ban!! :d
Old 01-09-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

you never said anything else about the turns working after you changed the flasher, but in what i experienced, i had to change BOTH flashers, and it kinda works, about 80% of the time now. did you ever get the turns to work?

also, how are the flat tops? if i end up keeping my car i might make some new LED tails, using some of your ideas and some stuff i learned from doing mine.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fast01z28
you never said anything else about the turns working after you changed the flasher, but in what i experienced, i had to change BOTH flashers, and it kinda works, about 80% of the time now. did you ever get the turns to work?

also, how are the flat tops? if i end up keeping my car i might make some new LED tails, using some of your ideas and some stuff i learned from doing mine.
yea both the turn signals worked fine after i put in the EL12 electronic flasher. the problem im having now is my brake lights are getting low voltage when they shouldnt but i think it doesnt have to do with the tail lights being LED because the 3rd brake light uses a separate positive feed and that is getting voltage too.

today i only had about a half hour to myself so i pulled out the front turn signals and cut them open with the dremel. later tonight or tomorrow i will cut a perf board and mount the flat LEDs inside the lens. so i dont know how they are yet but ill post up once i get those hooked up.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Rai
TECH Enthusiast

looks great!

i agree with enigmah
Old 01-10-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just finished boards for both front turn signals. I did 30 LEDs a piece. I tested one and it worked and ill be tested the second one tomorrow. since the perf board is orange and im using black clear signals, ill be lightly tinting the front turns with VHT so the boards cant be seen in daylight. i see what you are saying now fast about the signals not blinking right. once i disconnected both front bulbs it seemed to act up. if i need to ill just order those little load resistors they sell on ebay for cars without replaceable flashers.

Last edited by italicizedsponge; 01-10-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just finished boards for both front turn signals. I did 30 LEDs a piece. I tested one and it worked and ill be tested the second one tomorrow. since the perf board is orange and im using black clear signals, ill be lightly tinting the front turns with VHT so the boards cant be seen in daylight.
You shoulda painted the perf board black..

Quick Reply: LED LS1 tail light project finally underway...