Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

anyone have there factory paint wet sanded?

Old 03-21-2002, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone have there factory paint wet sanded?

Thinking about having it done on my Fathers new
NBM Z.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Re: anyone have there factory paint wet sanded?

That's a coincidence, That's exactly what I wanted to know as well. When I had the dealer replace my T-bar, I had them wetsand and buff the T-bar. They left two very minor scratches in the paint from the sandpaper.

But damn did it look good otherwise. The guy who did it does it as a side job, but quoted me $500 to wetsand/buff the entire car. A local friend's father owns a paint shop, and he thought a more reasonable rate would be a couple of hundred. He claims our cars have two layers of clearcoat applied, and I'd essentially be sanding the top layer off. However, he didn't think it was worth applying more clearcoat after sanding/etc.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Id be weary of removing the clear coat with too much wet sanding. I had it done to my 97 v6 which had a stock paint job and it came out pretty nice. Very clean looking job. Then it got smashed and sold the same week. If you can get a good deal go for it, just be carefull they know what they are doing.
-dan
Old 03-22-2002, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i argree with dan you can have it done but be very picky on who yopu choose to do it. If they sand through the clear coat it is all over.I didn't see where you are from but inthe chicago suburb of lagrange there is a place that does a great job Custom Cars Unlimited.They do high end resorations 40,000 and up two to three year waiting list but they will do it they removed my spoiler and bumpers to get it done just right. looked great when finished.price was $800 and they would not garantte that they would not go through the clear simple put they do not know how thick the clear is and if it is the same thikness on the whole car.Rich P.S. That was on my 2000ss monte carlo which was blacker than black and I hate orange peel expecially on black. Now have 2000 SS convertable camero silver because black is too hard to keep clean on an every day car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone have there factory paint wet sanded?