Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lambo Clear Coat Polishing-Today's Photo Essay

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 05:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lambo Clear Coat Polishing-Today's Photo Essay

A little background:

Last weekend we set up our exhibitor’s display at the Dallas New Car show using a red Pontiac G8 as our demo car to show detail product performance and its effects. In one of the other vendor’s booths, “Car Toys” had this black Lamborghini Murcielago Spyder for their promotional use. A couple of their reps had come over to ask some questions about our products and wanted to know if we could look at the paint finish on how to remove the scratches and other blemishes. After leaving a card for the owner, he showed up about an hour later and we set an appointment by Sunday night for me to address the car.

I traveled about an hour to the owner’s location to get started on the car. We didn’t have great lighting early in the morning for our base line pictures but you’ll see what we had in front of us shortly.

After a quick spray down to get rid of any loose surface dirt and road grime, I started with a light swabbing of the paint and glass to remove the remaining surface dirt. Surface contamination was minimal during the use of the clay bar.

After finishing the body wash, the wheels, tires and wheel wells were saved for last using some of our white tampico bristle brushes to reach these tight areas.

Here’s an example of the surface scratches that are waiting for me to after cleaning. I asked the owner earlier who had been maintaining the surface. Prior to today, he said a local commercial car wash facility and the dealership.

After taping various perimeter sections, I marked off a section to determine what foam pad/chemical combo would give the best results.

To Be Continued:

Last edited by Steve@Tropi-Care; 02-27-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default Part 2

I taped off the rest of the car including emblems and other select pieces.

Starting with the new white ”KOMPRESSOR” pad on the FLEX buffer, I started by spreading the dime sized drop of Menzerna SIP on the work area at speed 3 before increasing to break the product down.

After finishing with the white pad, I stepped down to the softer blue pad to remove any micro-marring while increasing gloss and depth.

For tighter spaces and thin panels along the top rear deck and vent areas, a PC equipped with the 4” Lake Country CCS buffing pads comes in real handy.

After finishing with the buffing for today, I removed the tape before rolling the car back outside to rinse off the Menzerna product dusting.

Once I completed the second wash to remove any remaining product residue, I quickly wiped off the entire surface including wheels.

To complete today’s treatment, I hand applied our TC-2B “Crystal Black” Carnauba Crème with a 6” red LC foam applicator pad to all surfaces.

Part 3 to follow-

Last edited by Steve@Tropi-Care; 02-27-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default Part 3

While waiting for the black wax to dry and cure, I had a chance to do the interior clean up and worked in the Leather Conditioner by hand to the seats. This also can be done with a soft, clean foam polish applicator pad.

Now that the wax had dried enough to wipe off cleanly, removal by hand using the blue super plush polish towels was completed pretty quickly without too much trouble.

One quick reflection shot before the outdoor pics:

A second application of our water based tire dressing

Today’s completed project:

Closing to follow-

Last edited by Steve@Tropi-Care; 02-27-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

looks awesome, can't wait to see the finished product. nice work
Old 02-26-2009, 05:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default One last comment

One last shot before leaving:

It was easy to see why this car had so many circular and random scratches. This clear coat was finicky to work on and marred very easily in certain sections. Part of one day is definitely not enough to correct every defect in a vehicle of this nature. I look forward to the next visit.

Sorry for being so long winded.

All comments and questions welcomed.

Last edited by Steve@Tropi-Care; 02-27-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

You do truly wonderful work. Looks like you could jump into that paint now. But I have a question-Who would buy a Murciaglo (sp?) and have some 18 year old at a dealership wash it for you?
Old 02-26-2009, 05:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by ItsNotStock
You do truly wonderful work. Looks like you could jump into that paint now. But I have a question-Who would buy a Murciaglo (sp?) and have some 18 year old at a dealership wash it for you?
I think they call it holding down the bottom line on operational expenses.

Thanks. I just enjoy showing a customer or owner what is possible as a result of using the techniques on their vehicle. Reading about detailing techniques on the forums or talking on the phone is one thing. But seeing and experiencing the corrective action firsthand is completely another.

Yesterday I had an owner of '71 Plymouth GTX bring his car to the office here for advice on removing these same scratches as pictured in this thread. I explained and them showed him with the PC and FLEX buffer. He was speechless after I showed what his finish could look and feel like after buffing.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Another good job
Old 02-26-2009, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

Looks like a lot of work. But damn sure looks sweet!! What is the ballpark cost of that Lambo job?? Hopefully he'll pay you to keep it looking like that instead of the wash mart.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

NICE JOB, notice how Steve taped off edges and seems. That prevents accidents which cause big problems. I recently saw pics where a detailer charged $4000 to detail a Lambo and didn't tape the car and did $6000 damage to some window trim.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Excellent work!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Regular

looks good, but that is the ugliest convertible top ive ever seen
Old 02-26-2009, 07:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Take this action for example: This car is an exercise in taking your time and having a lot of patience. All the of body panels have hard angular edges. There are no rounded panels. The 4" buffing pad is your best friend in this area of the car. Try fitting a 6.5" pad into the flat sections. I would gladly buff your hard clear coat F-body cars all day.

Ask yourself about the soft top: If you own this car, woud you even want to have the top up?

All of your comments are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wowsers
looks good, but that is the ugliest convertible top ive ever seen
Just like women, it looks much better with the top off
Old 02-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Looks freakin' awesome. How much is a do it yourself kit??
Old 02-26-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

dang looks realy good!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Looks great. I bet they were thrilled to see it look brand new again!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks great Steve. Looks like I need to pick up the Flex buffer and the SIP. I detailed a black Bentley the other day and the paint looked like the Lambo. The PC and Menzerna IP worked but it wore me down. Car had 900 miles on it but, it had not been washed correctly.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Wow the lambo looks great, excellent work!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you are a very patient person, this thread just goes ontop of the cake. the fact that you detailed every process with pictures, then took the time to explain them, and answer questions really shows how confident you are about your work (as well you should be)

awesome work!

Quick Reply: Lambo Clear Coat Polishing-Today's Photo Essay