Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Water in black corners (front signal light)

Old 03-03-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Water in black corners (front signal light)

So I got a set of black corners on my car, the driver side one is perfect but the passenger side was getting water in it. So I pulled it back out, drained the water out, dried it, then put a fresh bead of silicone all around where the lens and housing attach. I still have moisture getting inside and fogging the lens somehow and looks like crap

I know some people drill a small hole in the corner to let any water out, but does that keep the lens clear as well?
Old 03-03-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem you had and even after drilling some small holes on the underside they continued. I hate those corners with a passion. I gave up on them and switched to smoked oem corners.

I even siliconed the bulb to the housing to not get any water in and it still persisted.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

I might end up doing that. I still have my stockers, though the driver side one was bad (one reason why I replaced them with the black corners) so I'd need a new one of those.

Spring break is in a couple weeks, I might try submerging the whole housing and seeing if I can find where the water is coming from.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

I've got the same problem as you guys...so I ordered these gaskets from autotrix.net. Hopefully, since they're neoprene, they'll keep moisture out, just like wetsuits keep water off your body.

gaskets

We'll see how it goes. Can't beat it for $5.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Teching In

When I installed mine i had condensation probably for a couple of weeks after that it went away. If you installed them when it was cold out you may want to wait and see if it gets better due to the rubber seals being cold and not sealing properly. just my 0.02
Old 03-03-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Damaro
When I installed mine i had condensation probably for a couple of weeks after that it went away. If you installed them when it was cold out you may want to wait and see if it gets better due to the rubber seals being cold and not sealing properly. just my 0.02
Well before I put the silicone on it wasn't just a little condensation, it was a friggin swimming pool.

I'll wait for a while and see if it clears up now that I've sealed them, maybe I didn't have it fully dry inside and when I took it outside it caused it to fog up and just needs time to vent out the little breather and equalize. I didn't think of that at first. Guess we'll find out.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Teching In

do you have any pictures of it? when i installed mine i didnt use any silicone to seal them.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

No I don't have nay pics of them right now. All I have with me is my cell phone and that wouldn't be the best pic quality. I haven't driven through any rain recently after sealing them up but most of the fog is gone inside, though there is a little left as of yesterday.

We'll find out when it gets wet outside again.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

This may make some of you mad but I did nothing with mine but take them out of the box and put them on my car and I've had ZERO issues. Not one drop of condensation. My buddy bought his from the same place and has had nothing but problems with his and he used silicone. I guess it's just luck of the draw
Old 03-07-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by waldershrek
This may make some of you mad but I did nothing with mine but take them out of the box and put them on my car and I've had ZERO issues. Not one drop of condensation.
Gahh I HATE YOU

Nah it's ok I knew going in that sometimes you got lucky and sometimes you got screwed. I was screwed one way or the other since my stock driver side was bad, it was cracked and the reflectors were all water damaged and shot.

Last edited by SparkyJJO; 03-08-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

It rained all last night was raining today while I was out, no water inside and no fog at first. I think I fixed the major leaking.

However, both got a little foggy on me later on. It got really humid and rainy today, then the temp has dropped about 10 degrees over the past couple hours so that might be the reason for them both fogging up? Maybe they need a little better vents. They have the same vent setup as the stockers but you can't really see inside those to tell if there is fog or not.

Maybe I'll tinker with the vent setup to see if I can improve it. If I end up breaking them I guess I'll buy a new set (or maybe buy a stock driver side and VHT the OEM parts) but if I can made these fog proof it could be helpful for others.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think ther is any way around it.. i have sealed the entire lense and sealed the part where the bulb goes in, but after one car wash and even avoiding that area with direct contact from the hose it will still fog up. Its my passager side as well.. Quite annoying

Search this Thread