Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Scratches in Stainless Muffler - Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Scratches in Stainless Muffler - Motorcycle

I laid my bike down and put some scratches on the muffler. What do you guys recommend to reduce the look of them? The only real rough spot is the end where it meets the mid pipe. Thanks!

Old 03-12-2009, 08:36 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

if its stainless it can be buffed/polished out. just not as easy as aluminum or other metals, but it can be done with the right equipment.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

what would be the right equipment?
Old 03-12-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

im in the middle of polishing my borla and im using this >http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...r-exhaust.html as a guide. I couldn't find a flapper wheel so its all by hand, for scratches like that tho I think you'll def want a flapper wheel.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

I've wondered if this could be done so I'm kinda curious too. I know any of my friends that this happened to just bought a new slip-on, especially if it was just the stock pipe that got scratched. If you have a stock pipe and wanted to keep it that way, you could also check some sportbike forums out. I know some people will almost give away their stock pipes if they replace it with aftermarket. Might be cheaper if you have to buy all of the equipment to fix the scratches.

I'll keep an eye on this either way. My yoshi pipe has a couple of small scratches (not from going down) so if there's something I could do to get it back to a nice finish, I might be up for trying it.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2k1bird
I've wondered if this could be done so I'm kinda curious too. I know any of my friends that this happened to just bought a new slip-on, especially if it was just the stock pipe that got scratched. If you have a stock pipe and wanted to keep it that way, you could also check some sportbike forums out. I know some people will almost give away their stock pipes if they replace it with aftermarket. Might be cheaper if you have to buy all of the equipment to fix the scratches.

I'll keep an eye on this either way. My yoshi pipe has a couple of small scratches (not from going down) so if there's something I could do to get it back to a nice finish, I might be up for trying it.
I've been on svrider (my bike is an SV650 S) and thats what a lot of people are saying, to just save up for a new slip on. I will get one eventually, but for now I want to make the best of what I have. I could even paint it, either black or silver. Black would match my trim and silver would match frame and motor. I'll be buying some simichrome polish anyway to shine up the mid pipe.

I think if I got someone elses stocker it would have to be welded on wouldnt it?
Old 03-12-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow those are some really deep scratches. Dont know if those can even be removed. Im sure they can be reduced. Good Luck
Old 03-12-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you take some more pictures?
Old 03-12-2009, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

I'm pretty sure you can get most of that out using hte method on SVTP. Just keep stepping up with the sandpaper. Could probalby even do it by hand since it's pretty small. I've polished up a few things and it's not really that hard.

Quick Reply: Scratches in Stainless Muffler - Motorcycle