Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Restoring my headlights.... SUCCESS so far!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Restoring my headlights.... SUCCESS so far!

I have tryed everything it seems to clear my yellow headlights. I have tried Meguiars Scratch-x and got decent results but in order to clear them it would take hours and hours of using this. I came across TurtleWax headlight lens restorer and used this system twice, then followed up with two layers of Meguiars Scratch-x and it produced a killer combination and the headlight looks 70% better than what it used to. I will still need to do this a couple more times but i posted some pics of what it looks like as of now. And i only applied it to the passenger side headlight and the driver side is still yellow (till tomorrow ) Hopefully this will help, it really worked for me, its not perfect but after a couple of applications it should look really good.

This is the Turtlewax Headlight Lens Restorer it was about 9 dollars with tax at Autozone Restoring my headlights.... SUCCESS so far!-1.jpg

This is the Meguiars Scratch-X Cleaner and Polish to finish up the headlight after the turtlewax application Restoring my headlights.... SUCCESS so far!-2.jpg

This is the Passenger headlight that is foggy and a little yellow before either application (pic doesnt do any justice, it looks worse) Restoring my headlights.... SUCCESS so far!-3.jpg

This is the headlight after one use of the Turtlewax application Restoring my headlights.... SUCCESS so far!-4.jpg

This is the headlight(top) after Turtlewax and Meguiars applications, verses the foggy driverside (bottom) Restoring my headlights.... SUCCESS so far!-5.jpg

This is the headlight again in the car, looks 70% better Restoring my headlights.... SUCCESS so far!-6.jpg

Passenger side vs foggy driverside Restoring my headlights.... SUCCESS so far!-7.jpg

You can tell a little bit of difference when the lights are on Restoring my headlights.... SUCCESS so far!-8.jpg

The car all cleaned up, just had to throw it in Restoring my headlights.... SUCCESS so far!-9.jpg
Old 04-25-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

look real good i did the samething to my BMW head lights i also use that plas-x on my tail lights all the time on my t/a . that stuff is the BOMB
Old 04-26-2009, 01:12 AM
formerly mystic-t/a (changed 02/05/2013)

Looks pretty good, but I've had better sucess with Mothers plastic polish... I've been able to make horrible ford headlights completely clear...
Old 04-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Looks like they turned out pretty good. But I would suggest you try using Novus plastic polish instead. My headlights were worse than yours originally. I also tried the PlastX, but wasn't happy with how they turned out. Tried it again with the Novus polish and they turned out much clearer. Compared to a new headlight I had sitting around, there was little difference. I'd suggest you give it a try.

Before:

After:

Old 04-26-2009, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I used the Novus products too. They work great
Old 04-27-2009, 12:36 AM
Teching In

I would try wet sanding the headlights first if its really bad. Start 800 grit then move up to 1000, and 1500. After that use Novus polish, to get rid of the scratches.

The headlights on my Camaro were yellow, and after this process they looked as good or better then they were from the factory. I believe there is a step by step guide to this somewhere on the boards.

Quick Reply: Restoring my headlights.... SUCCESS so far!