Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Buying products for first time good wash; need suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying products for first time good wash; need suggestions!

Okay, I just moved into a new house and finally have somewhere to work on and wash my car!!!

My car is in pretty bad cleanliness shape, so It's gonna need a very thorough and good wash. My car is an Artic White WS6 T/A

Here are the items I'm currently considering, any alterations, suggestions, flames, etc. are welcome.

1) Porter Cable 7424 Complete Buffing Kit
http://www.tropi-care.com/Porter_Cab..._p/tcpc-10.htm

2) Menzerna Super Intensive Polis
http://www.tropi-care.com/ProductDet...n-sip&CartID=2

3) "Sunburst" Sealant xP
http://www.tropi-care.com/ProductDet...TC-2W&CartID=3

Do I need the sealant before the wax if I'm already going to use the polish?

4) Crystal White" Carnauba Creme for light colors
http://www.tropi-care.com/ProductDet...TC-2W&CartID=3

5) Tropi Care Premium Car Wash (I know I can substitute this for regular home dish wash soap)
http://www.tropi-care.com/ProductDet...=TC-6&CartID=5

6) Clay Magic® Kit
http://www.tropi-care.com/ProductDet...=TC-1&CartID=6

7) ShMITT Car Wash Foam Mitt
http://www.tropi-care.com/ProductDet...hMITT&CartID=7

8) Microfiber towels

Any comments will be appreciated, thanks!

If I'm not mistaking the steps I would use is
1) Wash
2) Clay Bar
3) Wash
4) SIP
5) Sealant
6) Wax

Correct?
Old 05-01-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are going to want Menzerna Nano 106F polish to clean up the finish after the super intensive. It should immediately follow the SIP.

don't forgot a backing plate and CCS pads for the PC. You are going to need two different pads, one for the SIP and one for the Nano. Also make sure you get small pads with the PC, 5.5" at the biggest.

its going to take you a long time to do the car, I recommend doing it panel by panel if you don't have 8+ hours of dedication in your heart and schedule. Once you get done though, the results are totally worth it, you are going to be shocked at how nice it will look!
Old 05-02-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ThumperNC24
You are going to want Menzerna Nano 106F polish to clean up the finish after the super intensive. It should immediately follow the SIP.

don't forgot a backing plate and CCS pads for the PC. You are going to need two different pads, one for the SIP and one for the Nano. Also make sure you get small pads with the PC, 5.5" at the biggest.

its going to take you a long time to do the car, I recommend doing it panel by panel if you don't have 8+ hours of dedication in your heart and schedule. Once you get done though, the results are totally worth it, you are going to be shocked at how nice it will look!
The porter kit I posted comes with the following:

The kit includes:

* Porter Cable 7424 buffer with standard factory equipment
* 5-7/8” Lake Country Mfg. flexible yellow urethane backing plate for use with 6” and up hook and loop pads
* 3-piece set of 6.50” x 1.25” Lake Country Mfg. CCS foam pads (1 orange “cutting/polishing”, 1 white “light polishing” and 1 blue “final-finishing”)
* 1 pair of 9” reversible blue microfiber polishing bonnets for residue removal

Should I not get the kit and just buy a 3.5" inch backing plate and 4" ccs pads?

So, I should

Wash
clay bar
Wash
SIP
Polish
Sealant
Wax
Wash
?
Old 05-02-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tropi-care's sealant/polish are the same thing (TC3) You might have to use the swirl cutter or the Nano polish after the SIP. The dark colors need it for sure. The buffer kit is a great deal. I have used the same one for years with the 6.5" pads with no problems at all. The smaller pads get in the tight places but I would not want to buff the enitire car with the 4" pads. After the SIP and before the polish I use a quick wipe down with a 50/50 mixture of water and alcohol in a spray bottle. That gets the paint super clean and ready for polish. After the wax there is no need to re-wash unless you just want to. I didn't see the detail soray on your list. I use after the polish/wax to get rid of any residue. Your list looks good. It will take some time but like stated above the results will be worth it. Where are you located?
Old 05-02-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99zee
Tropi-care's sealant/polish are the same thing (TC3) You might have to use the swirl cutter or the Nano polish after the SIP. The dark colors need it for sure. The buffer kit is a great deal. I have used the same one for years with the 6.5" pads with no problems at all. The smaller pads get in the tight places but I would not want to buff the enitire car with the 4" pads. After the SIP and before the polish I use a quick wipe down with a 50/50 mixture of water and alcohol in a spray bottle. That gets the paint super clean and ready for polish. After the wax there is no need to re-wash unless you just want to. I didn't see the detail soray on your list. I use after the polish/wax to get rid of any residue. Your list looks good. It will take some time but like stated above the results will be worth it. Where are you located?
I'm located in Long Island, about 30min from NYC.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't get a kit that comes with 6.5" pads. 6.5 will work, but they won't be near as nice or as effective as the 5.5. If you were going to buy a flex polisher, that would be different. I have used both sizes.

The PC is too low power and works much more effectively with 5.5" pads, a smaller HD backing plate would be preferable.....The 4" would cut the most effectively, but that would def. suck to do the whole car with it.

You need one Orange CCS 5.5" for the SIP and one Blue 5.5" for the Nano

It should go

Wash
Clay Bar
Wash
Menzerna SIP w/PC
Remove Residue using Quick Detailer
Menzerna Nano 106 w/PC
Remove Residue using Quick Detailer
Sealant
Remove Residue
Wax.
Remove Residue
Done.

You are definitely going to need more quick detailer than what is provided with the clay bar kit, I suggest picking up a couple bottles just in case, plus that stuff is good to have around in general.

I have never used bonets for removal, just did it by hand. I wouldn't bother with them.

Last edited by ThumperNC24; 05-02-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

Looks like you got your stuff together! I have a PC and the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish too. I used it on the orange pad, then the white pad, then used some swirl removed to finish up. I still had some light swirls left, but after I applied 3 coats of Zaino, I swear, my finish was FLAWLESS. If you wanna try something new, try Zaino, It's amazing:

See how wet and flawless the paint looks? You should give it a try. And yes your process is correct, let us know how it goes!

Oh! And by the way I'm from long island too, what part are you from? I'm about 30 mins from NYC too. My friend just said he might have seen your car before haha.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thing about zaino is it is super expensive and is a lot of work to use all the steps.

it does work and looks great, but there are easier and cheaper ways to get a similar finish IMO.

after you use the sealent check out P21S/S100 for the was, it is super easy to use and shines great, you need to use it like once a month though, it is so easy that it isn't a problem though.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:55 AM
11 Second Club

I do agree with it being a tad on the expensive side, but all you really need is ZFX (which is what makes the polish dry in about 20 minutes) and Z2 or Z5. I don't use anything else and it comes out awesome, just apply it, wait, and buff off.

But I'm sure there are other stuff out there just as good, but this is just my experience.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98 WS6

Oh! And by the way I'm from long island too, what part are you from? I'm about 30 mins from NYC too. My friend just said he might have seen your car before haha.
I'm currently in Farmingdale, Exit 44s on the LIE and exit 7E on the 135.

Edit: your car looks nice
Old 05-03-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

Do not use dish detergent to wash a car. It is very harsh on waxes. NXT, Gold Class or Armor All soap are good choices.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Aetos
I'm currently in Farmingdale, Exit 44s on the LIE and exit 7E on the 135.

Edit: your car looks nice
Thanks! I live 5-10 minutes away from Farmingdale lol. And btw you shouldn't have to use dish soap. I know some people say to use it to get the wax off, but if your buffing with a PC and Menzerna, it's good enough to eat through the wax.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a clay bar will remove the wax too.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Quick question; do I have to/is it good to use the carnauba on top of the sealant xp?

Quick Reply: Buying products for first time good wash; need suggestions!