Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Bay Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Engine Bay Opinions?

It's come a long way in a year but I'd like to get some fresh opinions.

What would you change?

Before:

After:

Just re-located the catch can:

Old 09-21-2009, 01:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Wanna do mine lol. Looks damn good
Old 09-21-2009, 06:25 AM
EW1
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks really good.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Resident

looks tons better then it did very nice job. I would get rid of the sticker on the drivers side fender well and relocate that ground right by there too. Otherwise it looks good. Maybe get some polished covers for the fuse box, battery, and pcm.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Two things I would do, that would be basicaly free...1st paint the plastic bumper support body color. Its easy to take off and you would be amazed at the difference that makes. Then finaly its really small but hide the grounds on the drivers side fender too...I mean you hid everything else, do those too! But it already is very nice and HUGE improvement over where it was!
Old 09-21-2009, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

The zip tie on your MAF wire loom is really bugging me
Old 09-21-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up

Looks good man! You've brought it a long way from where it was before. Agree with 97ramsst with the bumper support, the stock gray piece sticks out & looks unfinished on these cars.

The only other thing I would recommend is polishing the shock towers, front radiator support etc. Even though it requires a little elbow grease & some time, it's worth it.

Here is mine that I did by hand with 3M Finesse-it II just followed with Meguairs wax.

My paint looked even rougher/thinner that yours when I got it, but polished up nice.

Shay
Old 09-21-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98-mongooSSe
Looks good man! You've brought it a long way from where it was before. Agree with 97ramsst with the bumper support, the stock gray piece sticks out & looks unfinished on these cars.

The only other thing I would recommend is polishing the shock towers, front radiator support etc. Even though it requires a little elbow grease & some time, it's worth it.

Here is mine that I did by hand with 3M Finesse-it II just followed with Meguairs wax.

My paint looked even rougher/thinner that yours when I got it, but polished up nice.

Shay
What products/method did you use. I always thought your engine bay was cleared!

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
Two things I would do, that would be basicaly free...1st paint the plastic bumper support body color. Its easy to take off and you would be amazed at the difference that makes. Then finaly its really small but hide the grounds on the drivers side fender too...I mean you hid everything else, do those too! But it already is very nice and HUGE improvement over where it was!
I already painted the cover black. It looks decent, but it would probably look better in body color.

I never thought to relocate the grounds. I'll definitely do that!

The zip tie on your MAF wire loom is really bugging me
Me too! It's just temporary though.

looks tons better then it did very nice job. I would get rid of the sticker on the drivers side fender well and relocate that ground right by there too. Otherwise it looks good. Maybe get some polished covers for the fuse box, battery, and pcm.
I'm tempted to take off the sticker, but it's a $365 ticket when I get caught. I'll definitely do the ground. I'll get around to the covers eventually.

Thanks for the compliments!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

It's looking really good man. I thought it was awesome, until Mongoose posted his pics. lol. I love how mongooses lid, and valve covers all match, as well as the strut tower brace. It would be tough for me not to color match the brace on the OP's bay. Using Finesse It on that bay must have taken HOURS!!!!!!!!!! Looks great though.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

First of all, it looks 1000x better!! I saw the first pic and was like uhoh this is gonna take awhile.. lol. The only critiques I have is the red plastic cover by the fuse boxes is distracting, and would be better if your eyes didn't go there. I know its suppose to be red, but that doesn't mean it has to be Also I would get rid of the white stickers on the driver side shock tower.. they are also distracting..
Old 09-21-2009, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Shay
Hey where did you get the SLP sticker/ vinyl on the drivers side shock tower? Also you bay is gorgeous but you should hide the ground on your passenger side bc it doesn't fit the beauty of everything else..
Old 09-21-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
What products/method did you use. I always thought your engine bay was cleared!
Nope, no clear. Honestly, all I did was use the 3M on a cotton wax pad by hand with a lot of pressure on each area until it was shiney enough for my taste. I went over each spot about three times & then applied a coat of wax. I wouldn't recommend using anything other than the Finesse-it II since the paint is pretty thin in those areas. A rubbing compound would have done the job quicker, but you would have to be much more careful not to wear though the paint. Finesse-it is a pretty light cutting polish.

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
Using Finesse It on that bay must have taken HOURS!!!!!!!!!! Looks great though.

It look me about 2 1/2 hours because of all the breaks I kept taking (hands/fingers kept getting tired). That was done 7 years ago when the car was new & the picture I posted was taken about 2 months ago, so the finish will last if you take your time & do it right.

It's a lot easier than painting it, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by Magnet
Hey where did you get the SLP sticker/ vinyl on the drivers side shock tower? Also you bay is gorgeous but you should hide the ground on your passenger side bc it doesn't fit the beauty of everything else..
Thanks. Yeah, I have been meaning to do that. Not sure why I didn't do it when I did the wire harness. There was a guy on this board years ago selling those decals named Orange Peel. I don't know if he's even a member here anymore though. You could try a search for him, but I don't have any of his info anymore, sorry.

Shay
Old 09-21-2009, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

!ABS !heat !AC shave/paint/clear strut towers...just me though. lol

Nah man looks damn good!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks very clean (nice). How about some type of cover that hides the radiator opening. . .
How about relocating the linelock so it's more hidden/recessed and that cleans up the brake lines?

Coil relocation?

Smoothing/painting the FAST?

Need the STB?
Old 09-21-2009, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

Great progress. Next I would:

relocate the battery
drop the fuse boxes into the hole and cover it
relocate the coils
relocate the ground and smooth the fender wells
paint and clear the fender wells
make/buy a cover for between the bumper and the front of the radiator

This is what I want to do to the engine bay of the next F-body I own.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Alex41

relocate the battery
relocate the coils

all of this stuff and relocate the fuel evap solenoid. If you don't want to relocate the battery/fuses, check out emblempros.com. They make some SLICK covers:

They also make etched stainless steel versions of the stickers on your strut towers.

BUT, honestly, if you're looking for immediate and definately noticeable results for not very much money, relcate the coils and evap solenoid
Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Nope, no clear. Honestly, all I did was use the 3M on a cotton wax pad by hand with a lot of pressure on each area until it was shiney enough for my taste. I went over each spot about three times & then applied a coat of wax. I wouldn't recommend using anything other than the Finesse-it II since the paint is pretty thin in those areas. A rubbing compound would have done the job quicker, but you would have to be much more careful not to wear though the paint. Finesse-it is a pretty light cutting polish.
Thank you! I'll run out and grab some. The results speak for themselves!

Originally Posted by tbird31
!ABS !heat !AC shave/paint/clear strut towers...just me though. lol

Nah man looks damn good!
LOL! I was going to get rid of AC (I don't even have the belt) but didn't bother. I might though. I need heat though - I live in Canada !

Looks very clean (nice). How about some type of cover that hides the radiator opening. . .
How about relocating the linelock so it's more hidden/recessed and that cleans up the brake lines?

Coil relocation?

Smoothing/painting the FAST?

Need the STB?
I haven't found a rad cover that I actually like

Where would be a good place to re-locate the line lock?

Coil relocation would lead to new valve covers which would be stealing from my 9" fund

I'll paint the FAST next year and put on some new fuel rails too.

relocate the battery
relocate the coils

Battery: YES! Good call!
Fuses: Yes! Do you have a write-up?
I'll move the ground, but smoothing the fender wells is far beyond my ability or goals.

Originally Posted by 2002_SS
relocate the fuel evap solenoid. If you don't want to relocate the battery/fuses, check out emblempros.com. They make some SLICK covers:
I didn't even think of that! I'll definitely do that!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good man...

Mongoose... Your engine bay looks awesome too.. I wanna get mine that clean... Any pointers? Shoot me a PM lol
Old 09-22-2009, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

I don't have a write up on the fuses but from what I know you have to unwrap the wire loom and loosen it up. There is a hole under the boxes that the air pump belongs in. I would assume it is already gone since its inop anyway. You have to work the boxes into the hole one at a time and then make a plate to cover the hole and make it look clean. Make sure you have a way to access it since they are fuses after all.

Good luck. I would start a thread titles fuse box removal or something like that so you get people who have already done it to chime in and help you.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think it looks great already, but I think the stb clashes a little. I'd say paint it body color or match it to the FAST intake.

Quick Reply: Engine Bay Opinions?