Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Interior idea. Steerin Wheel button color AND writing change.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 06:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interior idea. Steerin Wheel button color AND writing change.

I am making the interior-to-black swap. I considered the normal "swap to Camaro buttons on the steering wheel." However, I pulled mine out and noticed that the gray paint was coming off. It wasn't difficult to peel it off to reveal the clear plastic. So here is the thought...
The stock buttons aren't setup well for those us with aftermarket stereos as the writing like SEEK and AM/FM don't really go with what we are doing. With the button down to clear plastic, I am looking into laying vinyl lettering down and painting black over the buttons with the new lettering laid down. Next, pull off the vinyl and spray a few clear coats to help prevent peeling around the cleared lettering. The end result, custom writing and custom color buttons.

Ideas on how to pull this off? I do have access to a "cricut" to cut out the vinyl. The alignment of the letters/symbols would be a problem, I suspect. Also, getting the vinyl off without the paint peeling might not work out well.

Any thoughts or ideas on pulling this off would be really helpful!
Old 02-21-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

In all honesties I would just use the Camaro or 95-99 Monte Carlo/Lumina buttons and change bulb condom from the blue chevy to the red pontiac . it will save a ton headaches for virtually the same end result .

What you wanna do is possible , but omg would it would be tedius . With the script you could have a vinyl sign shop set up transfers with wording that small , that would handle everything being lined up properly . The proplem would be peeling up overlays so small without peeling up paint with it . And 2 its so small it would be really tedius to not have any bleed issues . If you do choose this way . Sand off all the color . Spray the button with a translucent white underlayer to set up the wording color . Add your wording transfers , the spray with a opaque black . If everything goes ok by then and the transfers remove ok , the spray a top coat of dupont velvasheild over the buttons . It would be a much more durable alternative to standard clearcoat as its designed for interior surfaces and areas that will be touched .

The factory buttons are a silkscreen type process with a translucent white base . Sometimes the white base is eliminated with the button being molding in white thats translucent .
Old 02-21-2010, 09:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, do you know EVERYTHING??? I'll probably go with the black buttons and mull over this project for the next few years.
Thanks for the info.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

idk... light coats and some time with an xacto knife sounds like itd do the trick..

i like it

Quick Reply: Interior idea. Steerin Wheel button color AND writing change.