Old 04-09-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whistlered my headlights...

Before...

After...

I'll try and get better pics soon.

A few notes from doing this mod...

- I used the "delicate" low adhesive painters tape, stuck it on my jeans first, and it STILL pulled a little of the chrome reflective stuff off. It was just a couple tiny spots, but still. Be careful.

- One of my headlights was factory and the other was aftermarket. I can't remember which was which, but they had two very different types of adhesive that were holding them together. One was a thick, silicone-like glue, the other was like a rubbery seal. That one was harder to get apart, and I chipped a little piece off the edge of the housing when I was prying it apart because it was more brittle than the other one.

- When you put them back together, make sure you get all of the adhesive off the old lens, and when you put a bead of silicone in the groove on the housing before you stick the lens on, don't use too much. I had a little bit squeeze out and you can see it at the bottom of the lens where it meets the housing. Only noticeable if you're up close, but it bugs me.

Overall, I'm very happy with how they turned out. I think they look a lot better than the stock ones. They seem to flow better with the rest of the car. I ordered some black housed turn signals, but I'm not sure if I'll use them or not. I actually like the way the ambers look.

Anyways, let me know what you think
Old 04-09-2010, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Looks 100 times better!!! Great Job!! Clean camaro too, Nice touches
Old 04-09-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks aLOT better, did u paint ur rims that gun metal color?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by YURVIEW
Looks 100 times better!!! Great Job!! Clean camaro too, Nice touches
Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by ls1jorge
Looks aLOT better, did u paint ur rims that gun metal color?
Thanks! No, the rims came like that, they are Z06 Motorsports...

I need to get tires with a thicker sidewall though, especially since I want to lower it soon.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

Looks great
Old 04-09-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

dam they look really nice I'm in love with ur rims, ya think a company can paint my zr1 stars that color?
Old 04-10-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i just did mine too and the same thing happend to me, i had one small piece of the chrome **** come off but you'll never be able to see it... also had the glue squeeze out and you can see it at the bottom of the housing if your right on top of the car but other than that, it looks good! it really set off the front end of my car, along with yours!!!
Old 04-10-2010, 03:16 AM
TECH Addict

Wow I love those rims! I still dont know about the whistler mod... i think they almost look just as good as stock from most pictures, so i dont know,, maybe I just need to see it in person!
Old 04-10-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

Those heads lights are fantastic man i'm buying new stock headlights next week because www.K2Motor.com is junk asian owned bullshit guys do not buy projectors from these guys they are ******* ****** an will not refund broken halo headlights. Brand new they were together $205.67 when i called on tuesday he said no warranty on them an a new one to replace it was 175.98!!!! That was with his fried rice greezy finger short dick discount to guys don't buy anything from these guys because when one of your headlights take a **** an decide not to work trust me your gonna wana be bombing these triad *****!! lol Whistler mod not only looks better, but here in st. louis i haven't even seen one car until two months ago with this mod. I like the darked out look better with a HID kit. What materials did you have to you to get it all finished?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1jorge
dam they look really nice I'm in love with ur rims, ya think a company can paint my zr1 stars that color?
Thanks, yeah I'm sure someone could paint them for you. I've seen plenty of black ZR1 rims with a polished lip, but never gunmetal, I think that might look really good

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
i just did mine too and the same thing happend to me, i had one small piece of the chrome **** come off but you'll never be able to see it... also had the glue squeeze out and you can see it at the bottom of the housing if your right on top of the car but other than that, it looks good! it really set off the front end of my car, along with yours!!!
Yes, EXACTLY the same happened in my case, you can only tell if you're up close and looking for it. Thanks man, and agreed!

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Wow I love those rims! I still dont know about the whistler mod... i think they almost look just as good as stock from most pictures, so i dont know,, maybe I just need to see it in person!
Thanks! I love the stock look of the headlights, but in my car's case they looked a little out of place. I think the whistler mod really flows well with the rest of my car

Originally Posted by LSWNDR
What materials did you have to you to get it all finished?
I went by one of the write-ups on here, and I used about three layers of high heat gloss black spray paint
Old 04-11-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

I may be the minority but I prefer the look of the clean bright stock style headlights like in your first picture over whistler'd headlights.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oChristiano
I may be the minority but I prefer the look of the clean bright stock style headlights like in your first picture over whistler'd headlights.
as the car sits right now, i agree. the stockers just fit better.

but, if you swap out the ambers for some blacked out/smoked corners, than it'd look a lot better, and tie the front end together more (headlights, corners, grill)
Old 04-11-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
as the car sits right now, i agree. the stockers just fit better.

but, if you swap out the ambers for some blacked out/smoked corners, than it'd look a lot better, and tie the front end together more (headlights, corners, grill)
I didn't think the stock headlights matched anything. Everything about the car is red/black, and the wheels are gunmetal. if I had polished or chrome wheels that would be another story, but the stockers just didn't really fit well IMO. They looked a little out of place.

I do have black turn signals for it, I just haven't put them in yet. I always thought that black signals stood out too much on red cars, but I'll probably change my mind once I have them installed. I'll be sure to post up some more pics shortly.

Oh and btw, before anyone mentions it, YES the car needs lowered badly
Old 04-11-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Looks good
I need to do this to my car.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

yea everytime I see someone do this mod it makes me want to throw those shitty USELESS halos away and do this.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sykokilla
yea everytime I see someone do this mod it makes me want to throw those shitty USELESS halos away and do this.
DO IT!!!!!
Old 04-12-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks way better!!!
does anyone know where the name "whistler" mod came from?? I didnt know it was called that
Old 04-12-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

A member named Whistler started this mod, as well as many other mods.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=471

Didn't he even use to be a mod?
Old 04-12-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jcurrieta
Looks way better!!!
does anyone know where the name "whistler" mod came from?? I didnt know it was called that
keith whistler, the guy who did everything first
Old 04-12-2010, 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

Came out great!

Quick Reply: Whistlered my headlights...