LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Appearance & Detailing (https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing-18/)
-   -   Problems with sequential tail lamps (https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/1272388-problems-sequential-tail-lamps.html)

99_Z_155 04-24-2010 05:47 PM

Problems with sequential tail lamps

First off, i read a couple of write ups on this, and i havent seen anything to remedy my problems. so dont tell me to search. i read the write up by brent franker, and read other writeups on similar trans am setups.
Ok, so there are two projects going on at one time here. i have an LS1 car, and i am installing LT1 tail lights. so, as of right now, i have 3-dual filament sockets wired to the car on the left side. so essentially the socket part is all done.
i am given mixed advertisements from webelectric products it seems. in the ad, it says i can wire to have my brakelights "burst" in sequence when i hit the brakes, and still have the turn signals work, only if i wire it that way . however, in the instructions it says that this module is already setup to burst.
I installed the STS-1 module from webelectricproducts. i test-wired the module in place. the problem is this, it will sequence the turn signal, and burst the brakes, but wont do both at the same time. this is because there is only one signal wire (red) that goes into the module (also, it can only burst three filaments at once anyway). so i twisted the turn signal wire and brake light wire to the red wire on the module. the lights stay on solid when the brake is depressed and when i hit the turn signal, they stay lit, and my turn signal in the dash stays solid.
so, it appears you can have one or the other, but not both. which makes this kit worthless to me. could someone explain to me the problem with my logic? is this even possible to do?

EDIT: OK, problems partially overcome. i put some correct spec diodes on the brake signal wires so that the turn signals can feedback through the brake system. so now i can use my turn signals, however, i cannot brake and signal at the same time unfortunately.

Also, the vids i saw on youtube that guys had, didnt ever show a demo of the brakes depressed, and the t/s on at the same time. so i dont even know if they are supposed to work that way.

99'CajunFirehawk157 04-24-2010 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like the term burst! See my video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIbEunZU0kI

FWIW, before you ask:
The module was made by a guy I found on fbody.com, he made these while he was in college studying to be an engineer, he made the proto type and then sent out a bid request for a vendor to make them and an initial lot of so many were made. He sold them all off, graduated college, went to work and never made any more. I searched for a long time to find the one I have and paid $100 for it and also found a second one and bought it as a spare. I cant test out the seq effect while the brakes are on cause my car is torn down and the battery is not connected but hopefully soon it will be up and running. A pic of the module is below.

99_Z_155 04-24-2010 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157 (Post 13235016)
I like the term burst! See my video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIbEunZU0kI

yes, i did see yours. so what happens when you hold down your brake and hit your blinker? thats what i want mine to do, but am unable for some reason. there will be an accident if there is no turn indicator while braking.

99_Z_155 04-24-2010 06:35 PM

so obviously im screwed here, and the product doesnt work as i thought it would. what a rip (on myself that is, the product works as it was designed to). it seems to me for this thing to work, i would have to have two sockets at each location. this module cant differentiate between a brake signal and a turn signal.

99'CajunFirehawk157 04-24-2010 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by 99_Z_155 (Post 13235033)
yes, i did see yours. so what happens when you hold down your brake and hit your blinker? thats what i want mine to do, but am unable for some reason. there will be an accident if there is no turn indicator while braking.

I am quite sure thay work as their suppose to although I looked thru all of my pics and videos and don't see any showing this, but I have had my car to the inspection place and it passed so I am sure they work...fwi

99_Z_155 04-25-2010 01:29 PM

so yesterday i decided to say fuck it and continued the project. i did what the schematic on the module instructions said to do, which is to put the turn signal and brake signal both to the module input lead. so now when i turn on my left blinker, both rear lamps sequence because the turn signal is feeding back up through the brake signal wires. so this also makes my third brake lamp blink. jesus.

LILWS6 04-26-2010 02:08 PM

now if i'm not mistaken don't you have to have 2 modules? one on each tail lamp? i may be missing something but if you turn on the left blinker and they all blink somethigns not right??

99_Z_155 04-26-2010 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by LILWS6 (Post 13243118)
now if i'm not mistaken don't you have to have 2 modules? one on each tail lamp? i may be missing something but if you turn on the left blinker and they all blink somethigns not right??

correct. the problem is that the way they require you to wire it is kinda stupid. they make it so that you put the brake power wire and the turn signal wire to the module input lines. so when i hit the blinker, the power back feeds into the brake system. so i put diodes on the brake power wire so that it will not feed back to them. so the only problem i have now is that i cant have the turn signal work properly and hit the brakes at the same time.

99'CajunFirehawk157 05-07-2010 03:20 PM

FWIW: I was out in the garage last night after midnight with my engine running after some testing/tweaks and thought about you, here is the updated video you asked about earlier in this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS9d4CkAqRk

99_Z_155 05-07-2010 03:54 PM

thanks for posting that vid firehawk. im actually working on these in the shop right now. i spoke with Lawrence at webelectric products, and i think we have found a solution for my problems. i will post up once this is solved, and may have the answer for anyone else who wants to do this conversion on a 98 and up camaro.

99'CajunFirehawk157 05-07-2010 04:50 PM

Cool, I tweaked the video again, just refreshed it a lil...:cheers:

Originally Posted by 99_Z_155 (Post 13297500)
thanks for posting that vid firehawk. im actually working on these in the shop right now. i spoke with Lawrence at webelectric products, and i think we have found a solution for my problems. i will post up once this is solved, and may have the answer for anyone else who wants to do this conversion on a 98 and up camaro.

99_Z_155 05-09-2010 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157 (Post 13297754)
Cool, I tweaked the video again, just refreshed it a lil...:cheers:

awesome! i actually finished up this project yesterday, and it all works like a charm. i will do a better write up when i have some time. ill let you guys know how i got it to work.

01 Bad Mutha F***** 05-12-2010 12:12 AM

Really want to see the write up on this and how it looks on the newer Camaros.

99_Z_155 05-12-2010 06:25 PM

my car is a mess for doing a writeup, but i could give you an idea on what to do. you cant use the sts1 modules from webelectric products on their own. you have to make your tail lamps into combination turn signal/brakes. so you have to get some lt1 tail lamp housings, and dremel it so that you can fit 3 sockets that are for 3157 bulbs. at this point you need to go to a parts store and get a trailer lamp converter. this makes it so that your brake signal wire and turn signal wire can function as one. so you run through the trailer module first, then you run it through the sts1 modules. only then will it work, sir.

99_Z_155 05-12-2010 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Im not a super badass at schematics, but here is how mine worked, and the colors of the wires are correct, except for the middle positive that comes from the sts1 modules, which are actually white. i will take any questions you have though.

Also, make sure you get a "powered trailer converter". the regular ones are 2.1 amps per channel, which is not enough for all the bulbs. you will need like at least 5-7 amps i would imagine. i went with the 7 amp version.

EDIT: I made a seperate post with this information as well.