Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Interest Thread - 93-97 Camaro Projector Setup - Input Needed

Old 10-04-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So this set-up will be a single bi-neon projector?
Old 10-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLSolutions
The specific problem with the low beam area is the lack of depth for the projector. If you look behind your low beam, there is very little room to allow the whole unit to sit far enough back. Moving it forward would be the solution but then you run into going beyond the hood line which will not look good from any angle. The high beam location offers enough room for the projector while allowing for adjustment and depth for the projector bowl/lamp.

When you refer to balancing the looks of the front end, that is always the challenge when installing a projector. The look is something that does not lend itself to an easy workaround. What we can do and you see one option there, is to smoke or tint the other headlight. Another could be to offer a simple plastic film with a circle cut out in the middle to simulate a projector eye. I personally would prefer the first option.

The purpose of the housing around it is to try and "square up" the projector so it flows with the rest of the front end. To us, this solutions offers the least amount of modification to the vehicle while providing the best light output for the space available.

We will still be tweaking the design for aesthetics. Wiring will be simple with a nice plug and play harness. You would simply move the replaced high beam lamp into the low beam position and swap the connections. As I mentioned already, the projector is a bixenon so you will have dual high beams to retain all lamps being functional.
thanks for the response, i will definitely take a long look at the clearances and what's around the low beam light when i get home today.

i might be a special case, but i'm just exremely particular about the looks since i'm not building on a budget, i'm building a true show car (which doesn't really happen with early 4th gens). the only area where i think looks might be improved from where i'm at now is the headlight area, but i gotta have twin housings on each side.

where it stands now, i think if someone was going to keep the stock light in the low beam position, tinted would be the way to go, and i'm sure you got more tweaks up your sleeve to further incorporate them with the stockers.

as far as getting a dummy projector in the low beam area by any means necessary (meaning it doesn't need to be adjustable or functional, it just has to be there), is the back of the projector hitting the metal frame back there? or do you think something can be done if we're willing to open up the plastic (or fiberglass?) headlight mounting panel?

i'm just trying to get a feel whether you think it's too much work or too risky to fit a dummy projector in the lowbeam position (i draw the line at having to cut the metal frame behind the lights, or the bumper cover), or if it's just a matter of carefully working some dremel magic on the headlight mounting panel and making some custom brackets? or perhaps we can hack another set of projector housings to get them to just back in farther and sit in place? thank you.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:36 PM
FormerVendor

Yes the setup is designed a single bixenon projector for each side of the car.

I am very picky about aesthetics as well even though the function needs to be there. Keeping it simple, the projector will contact the metal behind the low beam headlamp. A fake one could be mocked up but its not something we would pursue with the new kit. We have helped many customers with different setups in the the past so its something we can discuss if you wanted something custom to suit your needs.

I would prefer to not have customers modify there car in a way which would make someone uncomfortable installing the lights. Our customers are happy that their lights require no permanent modification to install. Not everyone is handy with a dremel. This kit will require a few holes to be drilled and slight modification to the headlight panel which is a 10 second mod.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh man im on the fence now, I love the quad headlight look.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Oh man im on the fence now, I love the quad headlight look.
Man i'm with you! All this wait and thats the what we got? No offense, i appreciate the effort but i might as well just do like the Hella 90mm style setup. I need four lights too and they have to match,oh well!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the response BLS, i will talk to you about custom possibilities through PMs.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mtedenajimenez
thanks for the response BLS, i will talk to you about custom possibilities through PMs.
This would be best, Im down for 4 of those headlight units 2- high, 2- low. Willing to cut the hell out of my car to get them in of course.

Either way my car is seeing a cutoff wheel. Not BLS fault GM designed these poor headlights, as if they didnt learn from the turd gens they had to go and make the lens smaller haha.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:40 PM
FormerVendor

Based on the responses, not many loved the quad projectors in the front of these cars. If customers are willing to perform heavy modification on their car then a quad low/high beam projector setup is doable. The hella 90s are better than stock, hell anything is, but out of the box they are just decent. Modding them produces some nice results but for simplicity, there are better options. My buddy has the 90mm Hellas and had to modify the headlight panel and front bumper significantly to make them fit. I have a strong assumption that most of the market is not as open to this as some of you are.

This is good discussion but we will work to get the aesthetics a bit closer to the final product and then an output comparison.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Based on the responses, not many loved the quad projectors in the front of these cars. If customers are willing to perform heavy modification on their car then a quad low/high beam projector setup is doable. The hella 90s are better than stock, hell anything is, but out of the box they are just decent. Modding them produces some nice results but for simplicity, there are better options. My buddy has the 90mm Hellas and had to modify the headlight panel and front bumper significantly to make them fit. I have a strong assumption that most of the market is not as open to this as some of you are.

This is good discussion but we will work to get the aesthetics a bit closer to the final product and then an output comparison.
Good to see sponsors standing behind their work, looking forward to seeing the comparison.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

BLS, have you looked at any mini projectors to put in the low beam spot? There is one nicknamed the "matchbox" over on HID Planet. Its not quite good enough for a low beam, but it can be used for a fog light or remove the shield (maybe even mount it upside-down) and have it come on with the high beams as another high beam (since the projectors you are using are bi-xenon); and if you leave them as halogen, they can be flashed during the day without having the headlights on. There are a few other options which may also work. Take a look at some fog projectors. They tend to be smaller and may fit. Again, they aren't good enough for a low beam, but in this case, that's not how they will be used.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:58 AM
TECH Addict

I don't have the hood/aesthetic issue with my modified non-pop-up lights.

Would I be able to just throw these in my low beams anyway?

I already have round high beams that came with my kit years ago.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:05 AM
FormerVendor

VIP - yes I have looked at those and before I saw their output, I was thinking these are the hot ticket. These could still be an option but I wasn't impressed enough with their output to see these as truly viable. Kind of like the sonar and ebay projectors for the 98-02 Camaro's. They have the look but the performance leaves much to be desired. Fitment would be much easier but maybe I am being to picky.

Would the public prefer a single bi-xenon at a lower cost or want quad housings giving you four low and four high beams? The cost would be much more to do another set of housings including the additional wiring and HID kit costs.

Dragon - yes these could be put in the low beam position if you wanted to significantly modify your vehicle.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

Dragon - yes these could be put in the low beam position if you wanted to significantly modify your vehicle.
BLS,
From his post and looking at his sig, it seems that he has a Firebird.

Dragon,
Do you have the Breathless non-popup kit or did you do something custom? If its the Breathless kit, what did you modify in it since in your post it sounds like you customized it? I haven't handled the Breathless kit myself so i don't know what can fit in there. You'll have to take some measurements and compare to the measurements of these and other projectors. If possible (depending on your skills and tools availability), it may be a good idea to make a new shroud to replace the one in the Breathless kit. What I am talking about is the shroud that is visible through the clear lens cover. It may look better to make a new one with 2 round holes to accommodate the existing round high beam and the new projector or 2 new projectors instead of the current configuration with a round and square hole.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like them.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Hacking up the front bumper and light bar for a "better" look.

Wow, didn't think LT1 owners were that *** backwards.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Hacking up the front bumper and light bar for a "better" look.

Wow, didn't think LT1 owners were that *** backwards.

Its not about looks, its more towards light output and we just happen to want something that also looks good.

You scared to cut your car or something?
Old 10-05-2011, 01:29 PM
FormerVendor

Posting from mobile theme website so I didn't see the sig.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

VIP - yes I have looked at those and before I saw their output, I was thinking these are the hot ticket. These could still be an option but I wasn't impressed enough with their output to see these as truly viable. Kind of like the sonar and ebay projectors for the 98-02 Camaro's. They have the look but the performance leaves much to be desired. Fitment would be much easier but maybe I am being to picky.

Would the public prefer a single bi-xenon at a lower cost or want quad housings giving you four low and four high beams? The cost would be much more to do another set of housings including the additional wiring and HID kit costs.

i've been in for option #3 since the beginning, and i see that so were a bunch of other people from re-reading the first few pages. that's what i thought we were getting all along, the 98+ quad projector look with rectangular housings.

then i thought there would be two options like in your 98+ kit. one for the budget folks, which would only give them the low beam replacement, and they would have to rock their stocker in the other position (gotta pay to play). then, one for the folks that just want the best looking and performing option and don't really care about cost (a high price that's comparable to the 98+ quad kit). we would then have the quad projector option.

if you go the current route, i will definitely talk to you about mocking up a fake projector in the low beam spot. if you switch it back up to quad projectors, then great for me! haha. i will wait until you come out with your final product, though, to talk about a custom set up, if needed. until then, i'll keep giving input and be hoping for quads. this still continues to be the most exciting thread on ls1tech for me, haha. hoping for the missing link to these cars.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Well figure its time for a few spy shots of our latest mock-up. This is not the finished design but we are getting very close. If you are curious about the headlight being in the high beam position, the reason is simply the lack of room to mount a decent projector in the low beam spot without major modification to the vehicle. This is using a bi-xenon projector in case everyone is curious. The housing will have the edges rounded along with a number of other cosmetic touches. Just wanted to let everyone know we are dedicated to getting this done.
I felt it was important to point those things out to those who may have missed it.

Progress is looking good, cant wait to see the finished product! Will there be a wattage option?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by That Camaro Guy
I felt it was important to point those things out to those who may have missed it.

Progress is looking good, cant wait to see the finished product! Will there be a wattage option?
I read that but it still doesnt change the fact that its a 1 projector unit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interest Thread - 93-97 Camaro Projector Setup - Input Needed