Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

No bullshit the easiest side molding removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Okay guys, I decided to post this up since I was reading all these how-to's about the stupid side molding. I've done this on 3 different cars and it takes less than 15 minutes to do the whole thing if you do it this way. I was going to take a video of removing the molding but I accidentally didn't put a memory card so I only have the part of how to remove glue if its left over.

Its really, really simple. You know those hooks you put on your wall that hold hundreds and fiftys of pounds of stuff, but you just pull the tab and it comes off? SAME THING.

This glue will come off 100% easily if you pull PARALLEL to the surface of the car. No 90* peeling, no WD40, no fishing line, no blistered thumbs. All you do is peel up enough so you can get your hand on it, then pull either forwards or backwards with your hand as close to the car as you can get it, it will slowly pull off leaving nothing behind but the dirt that was around the edges. If there is some glue left over, you pull it the same way, roll up a little so you can grab it with your fingers and gently pull straight forward or backward depending on which side you are sitting on. I've done this in temperatures ranging from 50* to 90* it works the same way each time. If its real cold you might have an issue with it but I don't think anyone is trying to do this in Antarctica .

Heres a vid, I was at a bad angle to do it since I was trying to keep out of the way of the camera so I kept breaking it but you can still get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPdwIPR55GA
old thread but it says the video is private...
Old 05-17-2015, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uziguy18
old thread but it says the video is private...
really no need for a video if you have the right tools, wash the area first, a heat gun helps a lot, use it to soften the tape, then use a plastic spreader or what ever you can get to begin lifting one end of the molding, once it's started enough to grip it with your hand just pull it off, once it's off clean the area again to remove any dirt from the remaining tape, then get one of those rubber eraser wheels and use it to remove any remaining tape, then clay bar the area to remove any contaminants and compound and polish (I used the Meguiars Paint restoration kit).

I did the old pain in the but way with my firebird using a string to cut it off and then clean up the tape by hand, then used this method on my Trailblazer and despite being more then TWICE as much tape it went far easier and faster.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

A lot of elbow grease, a clay bar and 2 huge blisters on the thumb and mine is done. 2nd car Ive had where they have had to come off. It should have been this way from the factory!
Attached Thumbnails No bullshit the easiest side molding removal-dscn0094.jpg  
Old 05-25-2015, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 536 Likes on 383 Posts

I did mine on a very hot day. Then a bucket of hot water was sprayed over the molding. Then I started to pull slowly. After the molding was off my too warm soapy was to remove the glue along with using goo gone on my fingers. Looks awesome too.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Digging up an oldie. Kinda growing tired of my door molding and was curious if anybody had removed theirs on a Camaro fairly recently. Just looking at it the molding appears like it is resting on the paint and Ive been too afraid to see what it might leave if I rip them off.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:45 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Yeah mine on my M6 car are looking mangey, and while I wanted to keep this car original, I'm thinking of getting rid of them along with the raised lettering.

Since the video is gone, I'm not sure what the OP meant when he described his technique?

Quick Reply: No bullshit the easiest side molding removal