Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How Hard Would You Say 2002 Trans am Paint Is?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Hard Would You Say 2002 Trans am Paint Is?

I have a 2002 trans am WS6 and I am about to fully detail it. I have seen where some cars are harder to get swirls out because the paint is harder and takes more passes and some cars have soft paint and is easier to get out swirls and scratches out. What would you say my black 02 trans am has?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The 4th gen paint is definately at the harder end of the spectrum . Ive done full corrections from 94's up to 02's, and its been the same on every one .
Old 07-23-2010, 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT4vert
The 4th gen paint is definately at the harder end of the spectrum . Ive done full corrections from 94's up to 02's, and its been the same on every one .
Do you think Meguiar's UC with a Flat LC 5.5 Orange Pad will be enough for a first step of my car?

The steps I am taking is:
Meg's UC
Zaino PC Fusion
Zaino z5
Zaino CS
Zaino Z8
Old 07-24-2010, 02:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i got all of the swirls out of my paint with a harbor freight rotary and polishing compound. cost me $40 and 2 hours.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a NBM 02 ws6 at one time. out of the 4 f-body's i've had, the 02 had the worst factory paint. huge orange peel, and ultra thin clear. the gfx looked like painted over sandpaper, they were so textured. i tried wetsanding, and sanded right thru the paint very quickly. tried to buff some areas, and ended up burning thru the clear in no time. nothing like i have ever experienced before. i went to body school, and my best friend is a professional body/paint tech. he helped me repair the damage. we both agreed the car had never been painted before, no signs of any overspray, or paint/orange peel mismatch. he also agreed with the sandpaper and compounds i was using, this shouldn't have happened so quickly. it was on a 35000 mile car. we repainted over half the car to get it looking good. the best paint was on the ws6 hood. i sanded it lightly and polished to perfect shine without problem. we had to repaint gfx, both bumper covers, tail wing and both doors, blended to rear quarters.

long story short, my experience was that 2002 paint sucked!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jon87transam
i had a NBM 02 ws6 at one time. out of the 4 f-body's i've had, the 02 had the worst factory paint. huge orange peel, and ultra thin clear. the gfx looked like painted over sandpaper, they were so textured. i tried wetsanding, and sanded right thru the paint very quickly. tried to buff some areas, and ended up burning thru the clear in no time. nothing like i have ever experienced before. i went to body school, and my best friend is a professional body/paint tech. he helped me repair the damage. we both agreed the car had never been painted before, no signs of any overspray, or paint/orange peel mismatch. he also agreed with the sandpaper and compounds i was using, this shouldn't have happened so quickly. it was on a 35000 mile car. we repainted over half the car to get it looking good. the best paint was on the ws6 hood. i sanded it lightly and polished to perfect shine without problem. we had to repaint gfx, both bumper covers, tail wing and both doors, blended to rear quarters.

long story short, my experience was that 2002 paint sucked!!!
Were you using a rotary?

I think my car was repainted because it has drips of paint that hardened on the t top bar (I bought my car last year at 40k miles). I wouldn't think that would come from factory...
I will post pictures later today.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mesterious
Were you using a rotary?

I think my car was repainted because it has drips of paint that hardened on the t top bar (I bought my car last year at 40k miles). I wouldn't think that would come from factory...
I will post pictures later today.
If your car has been repainted than you'll find out how hard the clear is when you start correcting it.

If it wasn't:

Since you have a WS6, the hood came painted separately from ASC. The paint on the hood is super thick and very hard.

From my experience and talking to other f-body detailers, the WS6 hood is the hardest, the fenders and bumpers clear coat is much softer. The door panels, trunk lid, sail panel and rear quarters are in between.

Menz SIP with an orange LC Pad should work well, it's not that abrasive as M105 if your use a PC. You can then use a swirl cutter or M205 on a white pad.

If you can't get all the defects out, don't worry about it, it's better to have a defect than to thin the clear coat too much.

Good Luck!
Old 07-24-2010, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SteelCityYaga
If your car has been repainted than you'll find out how hard the clear is when you start correcting it.

If it wasn't:

Since you have a WS6, the hood came painted separately from ASC. The paint on the hood is super thick and very hard.

From my experience and talking to other f-body detailers, the WS6 hood is the hardest, the fenders and bumpers clear coat is much softer. The door panels, trunk lid, sail panel and rear quarters are in between.

Menz SIP with an orange LC Pad should work well, it's not that abrasive as M105 if your use a PC. You can then use a swirl cutter or M205 on a white pad.

If you can't get all the defects out, don't worry about it, it's better to have a defect than to thin the clear coat too much.

Good Luck!
Thanks man!! I will look at using SIP instead of UC for sure!

Quick Reply: How Hard Would You Say 2002 Trans am Paint Is?