Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How do I Chrome a Weld-in Cage????!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do I Chrome a Weld-in Cage????!!

I have a Pewter WS6 Vert, and am getting a Wolfe 6 point weld-in cage. NO swingout's, Solid Crossbar (NOT bolt in).

I don't know how to go about chroming it, or at least getting that metal shine! I heard that polished chromoly is not very bright, looks just dull flat metal color. I see on Wolfe's website they have a Vert w/ a chrome six point in it but I don't know....it could be a bolt in.

I just don't wanna have the bars chromed then have them all messed up by welding....is there a certain process for this? Or can Chromoly be buffed up and shining w/ that polished wheel look?
Old 01-31-2004, 08:58 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

You could get the fitment all sorted out in the car, take it out, have it chromed, then weld it in. The parts where you weld could be covered up by carpet. I'm not really sure how else you would do it. I'd probably call wolfe.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I chrome it beforehand, then the welding will show where all the bars come together at they're joints and such. Those are not covered by carpet. Since you will see the cage with the top down, I want it to look as good as possible.

I guess I'll have to call Wolfe if no one else chimes in.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:37 PM
RJF
TECH Fanatic

the only way to chrome it is to get a bolt in cage as im doing at this time.Ihave a friend here in town that has a kit that he used to do his cage he had it chromed and welded it in then used a kit to chrome over the welds.If your right up on it you can tell its a different shade but other than that it looks ok.only way for it to be perfect is bolt in like im doing
Old 02-02-2004, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm thinking that if I "pre-fit" the cage and tac weld it (of course I would order the cage Jig-notched to help out with the process), then take it out and weld it all up to spec. I could then get it chromed and then weld the metal plates to the floor as they would be covered by the carpet anyways.

If anyone else has some ideas, please contribute them.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:59 AM
RJF
TECH Fanatic

they would have to have some very big tanks to fit the cage in I had to call 15 place to find one that had big enough tanks to chrome the bar behind the driver and passenger seats
Old 02-02-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, chroming a complete cage that is put together... $$$
Old 02-02-2004, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Chrome? Have you considered powdercoating instead? A chrome roll cage, in my opinion, is just too much. Just a thought...
Old 02-02-2004, 03:38 PM
RJF
TECH Fanatic

Chrome is just different than what you see all the time thats why im going that way.but it is very expensive to be different
Old 02-02-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

exactly what RJF said. you don't see a chrome cage that often. Plus it'll be a decorative part of the car being a convertible, I want it to gleem in the sun!
Old 02-02-2004, 11:06 PM
RJF
TECH Fanatic

the only thing is I dont think that anyone has a tank big enough to chrome the cage welded together.If you do its gonna really cost alot as stated before It took me a while to find someone with tanks big enough to chrome it un bolted.

Quick Reply: How do I Chrome a Weld-in Cage????!!