Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

6LE Overlay & Bezel Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6LE Overlay & Bezel Install

I just got my overlays in the mail. It looks great. I was hoping someone had some quick advice on how to put it in.

I also got the 6LE Bezel ABS/Stainless Steel COMBINATION. I was wondering what was the best way to glue them together. Any comments are welcome. Thanks.

Semper Fi,
Ryan
Attached Thumbnails 6LE Overlay & Bezel Install-ryan-copy.jpg  
Old 03-08-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

I was wondering the same thing. The last car I did a gauge overlay on the fuel gauge was never right. Too damn sensitive. If you knick or bump the housing at all it can throw something off. That's why I haven't done it yet. Still have a bad taste in my mouth from last time.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

when ive installed overlays. i usually take a pic of them rested and then a pics of them at full operation. then pull the needles off, put the overlays on then go back to your pics to put the needles back on.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used plastic weld to glue the SS to the ABS then I just used little pieces of double sided 3M here and there to mount the ABS to the overlays...
Old 03-08-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That overlay looks nice
Old 03-09-2011, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

Thats looks familiar, nice...best advice I can give is take your time and be very patient. Also consider adding led bulbs while you have it all torn down. The one thing I didn't do I wish I would have was dropped the steering column down in my car just by unbolting the support bracket that holds the column to the dash, this would make R&R so much easier rather than trying to be a magician to get it out and back in.
Attached Thumbnails 6LE Overlay & Bezel Install-img_4209.jpg  
Old 03-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice everyone

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Thats looks familiar, nice...best advice I can give is take your time and be very patient. Also consider adding led bulbs while you have it all torn down. The one thing I didn't do I wish I would have was dropped the steering column down in my car just by unbolting the support bracket that holds the column to the dash, this would make R&R so much easier rather than trying to be a magician to get it out and back in.
Honestly, this is the first time I have ever saw yours. Mine is alittle different though. That sucks that they are so close. Thanks for helpin me out
Old 03-10-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed mine about a month ago. I may redo it after I get a new face. The metal/ABS didnt line up too well and the metal wan bent a bit. Plus the gap is a bit to much around the edges. But an easy fix once I redo it. Heres mine on a stock gauge with blue LEDs on during the day.
quick video--click on picture

Old 03-10-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Maximus0066
Thanks for the advice everyone

Honestly, this is the first time I have ever saw yours. Mine is alittle different though. That sucks that they are so close. Thanks for helpin me out
Its cool, I think 6LE uses that has their "firehawk" starting point, especially if the car is red...
Old 03-10-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
The one thing I didn't do I wish I would have was dropped the steering column down in my car just by unbolting the support bracket that holds the column to the dash.
co/signs

I just added LED's to mine and it was a PITA for removal and installing back in. I removed the tilt steering lever out of the way but I could of used some more room. I will definately be doing as said above when I get my gauges.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ssteven@6LE
I installed mine about a month ago. I may redo it after I get a new face. The metal/ABS didnt line up too well and the metal wan bent a bit. Plus the gap is a bit to much around the edges. But an easy fix once I redo it. Heres mine on a stock gauge with blue LEDs on during the day.

What LED's did you use?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used superbrights LEDs - 8 WLED-xHP6 Wedge Base Bulb
Old 03-10-2011, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

If you do put led's in the cluster make shied there's a front led facing the gauges I had some like that and they looked good the then 1 took a #### and then I ordered some without a front led and they wasent half as bright
Old 03-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ssteven@6LE

Alright, I am in the middle of doing this thing and I noticed something. Now, you have the silver outline bezel thing right? Your car is a camaro, right? With the Trans Ams they have a black plastic outline the its attached to the clear plastic piece that goes over the gauge cluster. I dont think that there is a way to take it out. What I am trying to say is I think that my silver bezel outline thing wont work for my car.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will have to get a bezel from a Camaro.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Well, damn! Anyone wanna trade or sell me a bezel?

Quick Reply: 6LE Overlay & Bezel Install