Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

adding a little flair to my grid taillights

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default adding a little flair to my grid taillights

So a little while back I was trying to do something a lil different to my taillights that would not permanently damage the lights. I came up with using an LED strip in red to light up the reflector like some of the newer high end cars. Its kinda hard to see the recflector here cause I used nghtshades on them but you get the idea.

so I took the handy little dremel and cut out a 3/8" stip out of the back plastic

I probalbly wont have time to continue working on this until next weekend but I got a pic with the lights on it so you get a better idea.

Im thinking of adding more LED's to the outer ends so it will be more visible from the side.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting idea. So would you then make it that the running lights instead of the bulb dim filaments be the LED strip instead, and just use the bulbs for brakes?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

havent decided that yet. I was thinking of just using them as an addition and leaving the original ones alone or maybe a turn signal. Dont really wanna do turn signals b/c I want it to stand out and turn signals arent on all the time so I wouldnt be able to show them off. lol

I like your idea though. I guess Ill try it out both ways when they are installed and decide then
Old 04-02-2011, 12:22 AM
Launching!

interesting idea.

how did you get the reflector part off? and i like how you VHTed it too. looks alot better then with the red sticking out so much.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks nice.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rg501
interesting idea.

how did you get the reflector part off? and i like how you VHTed it too. looks alot better then with the red sticking out so much.
To get the reflector off you remove the taillight and from the back you will see the 2 clips holding it in. the 3rd clip is just a slide in style so then you just pull the strip out. I VHT'd it for that same reason... the red stuck out way too much and also because I had'nt seen it done yet.

Quick Reply: adding a little flair to my grid taillights