Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

redid my door panel and wife dosen't like it!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just think that it looks pretty odd.. Its cool to be different, but i would prefer just a plain interior.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it looks all that bad,the painted part looks pretty good,insert does have to go,it is a hard color to match,that red int in the ta looks sick though,I plan to do red and grey in my white ss,it came with grey seats and red inserts from the factory it just looks old,I pretty much finished the outside,so int and engine bay are next
Old 04-13-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lose the painted piece. Find a darker blue vinyl. Do the top portion as well. Should look hawt.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the all mighty uterus! As said lose the paint and fill both patches with the blue suede stuff.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

I like it, its subtle but adds a nice custom touch.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same opinion as your wife. Why did you paint the door handle area? Why did you use vinyl where the carpet goes? Looks really cheap to be honest, like something that would come on a Smart car.

If you want to two-tone it, do it the same way as 95greenbird on this forum. His door panels have blue vinyl instead of graphite/ebony and blue suede instead of charcoal carpet.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Found a pic of 95greenbird's I saved and uploaded.

The quality of what he did could be better, but the basic looks is good. I'd probably leave the suede part as carpet though.

Use this as inspiration too:

And you can't beat the quality of this custom job, this is really what you should strive for:
Old 04-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Launching!

dont forget your 2 options that you always have available; you can always change the car -or-- change the wife.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Launching!

i might flow better if you did the top panel too...but that color vynl just doesn't look quite right. honestly I don't think any color suede would look good either other than black
Old 04-13-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

The red inserts are beautiful. I'm looking to do that to my bird someday. As for the OP's work, the control panel is supposed to match the rest of the handle. It all flows together as a unit because of the contours. By coloring one, the rest must match. Try doing the inserts in a dark blue and leaving the panels alone. If you still want to use the panels however, perhaps emulate something minor like this:
Old 04-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Launching!

I like it! Good work bro!

Vince
Old 04-13-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sdm1234
The red inserts are beautiful. I'm looking to do that to my bird someday. As for the OP's work, the control panel is supposed to match the rest of the handle. It all flows together as a unit because of the contours. By coloring one, the rest must match. Try doing the inserts in a dark blue and leaving the panels alone. If you still want to use the panels however, perhaps emulate something minor like this:
Ooooo, I hate to say it, but I have to HEAVILY disagree with you! There's nothing trashier than a painted speaker cover, and it really doesn't make sense to paint the window switch plate either. Something I learned in all of my years of art and design classes is that you use color to bring attention to things you should want to bring attention to. The speaker cover isn't beautiful and doesn't deserve extra attention. Neither does the window switch plate. Painting those red is like a woman putting lipstick on her chin, nose, and ears. It just doesn't make sense to draw attention to them.

That said, the vinyl upper panel being changed in color is pretty cool, as it's a nice soft piece that looks good when recovered properly. The carpet on the door can go either way. I'd personally not change it, because I don't see why the carpet or little door pocket needs extra attention. The only reason I would change to red or another color is if the carpet in my car was also red.

Here's another pic of that same car.

You or other people may disagree with my opinion(s), but as a designer, I hope I have a good eye for this type of thing!

I think if the original poster/topic starter wants to start from scratch and really integrate blue into his interior, he should get navy blue carpet, extra matching carpet for the door panels, and a matching navy blue vinyl for the upper door panels. The icing on the cake can be a navy blue shift ****, but everything else should be completely left stock. If he really, really wants to go the extra mile, he could have the flap in the hatch reupholstered in matching blue fabric.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

Painted bezel kills it for me too.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Teching In

thanks BRANGETA for all the added inspiration. Those door panels flow very well with the red accents. I do like the idea of a navy blue carpet option. The reason I chose to paint the bezel is the same reason everyone else does. It's easy and looks like it should be accented. I think I am going to try to do the navy blue insert, with the navy blue top and use the ebony bezel to see what that may look like.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brangeta
Ooooo, I hate to say it, but I have to HEAVILY disagree with you! There's nothing trashier than a painted speaker cover, and it really doesn't make sense to paint the window switch plate either.
There isn't much we can do with these panels so I was just throwing it out there. The speaker cover DOES finish the flow of the lower door. It's not just a randomly placed circle like some vehicles have, so I can see it complimenting if done properly. Maybe not necessarily red with gray, or black, or NBM, or whatever, but the OP sounded like he wanted simple and easy so I tacked it on. I'm a graphic designer as well and I agree with the color-matching idea, but the carpeting may be too much. It's just too overpowering. Rarely is a lighter/more saturated color appealing to use for grounding, even if it is a dark blue against gray.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want, you can just color the whole damn thing like Dodge did with their Charger haha. Plus, THAT made the list on Ward's top 10 interiors!
Old 04-13-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

have you thought of hydro forming the window switch peice in a blue cardon fiber or marble look?
Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sdm1234
If you want, you can just color the whole damn thing like Dodge did with their Charger haha. Plus, THAT made the list on Ward's top 10 interiors!
That two tone (red and blue) actually works really damn well....
Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Ehhh I would just keep the whole thing original, don't want to look like a ricer, but then again the pic that Brangeta posted looks pretty damn sick.

[/QUOTE]
Old 04-14-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DADSLS1
All right, so I decided to do something out of the ordinary for my NBM SS. I tired to "color match" the NBM well the wife looked at it and didn't like it period. I figured I'd let you guys take a look and see what you guy's take is on it.
if you like it keep it bro...I think it look fine to me. Oh and start telling the truth about your wifes hair now to lol or weight jk lol

Quick Reply: redid my door panel and wife dosen't like it!