Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Firebird Radio Bezel size?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firebird Radio Bezel size?

just wondering if a Firebird owner can help me out and give me the measurement of the bezel that goes around the stereo and AC. all I found was this

looks to be just over 18cm tall, if any one can confirm that and possibly give me the width as well, i'd really appreciate it, thanks
Old 07-22-2011, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll get them for you tonight, in MM.

Which dimensions do you need?
Old 07-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Launching!

I think our radios are din and a half (stupid GM lol) so...that might help you out to determin what the size is. Just throwing that out there.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZexGX
I'll get them for you tonight, in MM.

Which dimensions do you need?
mainly the width of the bezel, and verify if the height is 18cm as it is in the picture (only because the angle is kinda off and I want to make sure)

Originally Posted by StealthWeaponLS1
I think our radios are din and a half (stupid GM lol) so...that might help you out to determin what the size is. Just throwing that out there.
yeah they are 1.5 DIN but i wanted to do something custom that would use up an even larger area than the radio opening, larger than Double DIN too. It looks like the Firebird has a much better working area than the Camaro does, behind the bezel as well. Thanks guys
Old 07-25-2011, 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

Sorry I didn't get those for you, been forgetting to look (busy weekend). I'll get them tonight for sure.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

PM DOUBLEDMODS and he can tell you exactly what you need to know since he makes custom bezels for our cars and many others.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-139-99-a.html
Old 07-25-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Yup I was gonna say hit up doublemods on here. They do bomb *** work and have killer deals all the time!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:41 AM
Teching In

I had a kinda offbeat idea, and haven't seen too many f-bodies do it, so i'll share what exactly I want to do.

A few years ago, I wanted to replace the stereo system in my '97 Z28 with an lcd touch screen and stuff a computer either behind the screen or back in the rear left trunk area where the disc changer normally is. Well I ended up selling the car and im saving up for a LS1 car, and still wanted to do it, cause im about as much into computers as I am into cars. Only problem with the carpc is that it can get very expensive, and complicated as far as wiring goes, for the power, screen, gps, etc. So I am thinking of using a tablet instead, they have everything built in, i'd only really sacrifice in storage but I could also take it out and use it outside the car, unlike the carpc. they only weigh anywhere from 1-2 lbs, less than the stock radio, can connect to OBDII, maps, and all that other good stuff, Android even has a car mode app.

Anyway, the Firebirds radio area has a much better layout for this than the Camaros does, so I could either go for a 'Bird or more likely do a dash swap. Just trying to see what kinda area i'd be working with. That will kinda determine which tablet I can go with. heres an idea in case anyones wondering what im getting at here. it's still a ways down the road but i'm really curious and dont have a Firebird nearby to measure.

Galaxy Tab in Car

Torque App

iPad 2 in F150 most likely wouldnt do an iPad but I love the clean install and would want to use a dock connector too, most likely on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 if it has the same functionality as the ipad does (charging, audio connection)

edit:

Archos 80 G9 ok, most likely will use this tablet, can't beat what it offers. 1.5Ghz dual core cpu (fastest in a tablet, for now), 250gb (most in a tablet, and awesome for a car pc), 4:3 aspect ratio which i feel is better suited for something like this, and more features for less money than the galaxy tab 8.9, and the size is perfect, 8" check it out!

Last edited by SS_Wannabe; 07-28-2011 at 06:18 AM. Reason: adding stuff
Old 07-27-2011, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

Not sure if you're still trying to get the dimensions, but here they are (roughly)...
Width: 280mm
Height: 180mm
This is for the whole piece - from above top of radio to below the bottom of the HVAC controls.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:13 AM
Teching In

thanks a lot zex! the width is bigger than i thought, lots of room to fab something up. I appreciate it!
Old 07-28-2011, 02:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS_Wannabe
thanks a lot zex! the width is bigger than i thought, lots of room to fab something up. I appreciate it!
Yup. If you wanna see the piece to trace it or test fit anything, I'll be at the Bob's Big Boy in Burbank this Friday night around 10PM with some other F-body owners.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Yup. If you wanna see the piece to trace it or test fit anything, I'll be at the Bob's Big Boy in Burbank this Friday night around 10PM with some other F-body owners.
I miss that place. It's awesome.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by VIP1
I miss that place. It's awesome.
It's the "usual spot" for the weekly PHK/6LE meets. Always nice cars there. Too bad the food isn't anything special, lol. If you ever visit SoCal, you're more than welcome to join us. Unless you're talking about Big Boy in general...
Old 07-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I definitely meant the Big Boy in Burbank. I lived in Irvine,CA for 8 mo and went to that Big Boy once or twice.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:42 AM
Teching In

ok so I went to the junkyard since I was gonna be nearby, it was 50% off day too so I got 2 bezels for a dollar each, an even $3 for both after local and state taxes. It turns out the bezel isnt 280mm wide, but rather 245 (24.5 cm). So that means I cant use my Gtablet for this project, but will probably be able to squeeze the Archos 80 after some custom work to the bezel and finding a way of securing it safely, it will have to be entirely custom. anyway, here are some pics, the angle of the camera may make it look longer or shorter but its 245mm horizontally, and 178mm vertically. theres also 15mm of space for the attachment clips on both left and right sides, so you really only have 215mm horizontally unless whatever your working with is less than 20mm deep. im hoping i can make this work!

Horizontal

Vertical

Quick Reply: Firebird Radio Bezel size?