Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Prof Prod Coil Covers FTL

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Prof Prod Coil Covers FTL

I bought a set of the Professional Products coil covers for a 2002 Z28 with a Typhoon Intake (also a PP product). I wanted something kind of unique, so I masked and prepped a set of the non-polished brushed metal covers to paint sections of it anodized blue. I was very pleased with how the coils came out... but then it was time for installation.

THEY JUST DON'T FIT!

The drivers' side rubs on the brake booster line, and I couldn't even get it far enough back without forcing the brake booster line back toward the firewall! So I tested the passenger side. Not only do they require that you mount a bracket on the bottom of the back coil (lol, you expect me to screw something to that with the cover in place?!?), but the oil dipstick is not accounted for in the shape of the cover! In fact, the spot for the oil dipstick is on the DRIVER side cover! It's obvious these covers were developed on a motor on a stand, never installed in the car.

So questions: Has anyone installed these successfully on an F-car? How much additional modification was necessary? Is this worth it? I'm about to scrap these beautiful, blue anodized $230 covers
Old 08-15-2011, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Aaaaand I've discovered their coil covers are specifically for Corvettes. Seems like false advertising to me to claim these will fit LS1, LS2, LS6 motors without specifying what car... anyone interested in a set of coil covers in anodized blue for a CORVETTE?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:02 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Post up some pictures so we can visualize what you're talking about.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Post up some pictures so we can visualize what you're talking about.
Will do. I was in a fury, had to step away before throwing the covers when I realized they wouldn't work.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Soooooo... you painted something before test fitting and now you can't return them. Awesome.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by carlos64030
Soooooo... you painted something before test fitting and now you can't return them. Awesome.
Yup, exactly what I thought as I went to fit them. But I happen to know i have an LS1, and these covers were made for LS1/2/6 engines. From the PP website:

"These Coil Covers are designed specifically for use with Professional Products manifolds designed for the LS1/LS6 and LS2 engines. The Coil Covers are made of extruded aluminum and mount to the fuel rails and to the stock GM coil brackets with supplied brackets and hardware. The Coil Cover mounting brackets are designed so that they can be adjusted to accommodate the stock coils or taller aftermarket coils such as the MSD units. The Professional Products Coil Covers are currently available in two finishes. One features highly polished panels set off by a bright red trim. The second design is a fully polished finish. These Coil Covers provide a very classy finishing touch to any engine equipped with one of the Professional Products Typhoon Manifolds for the GM LS1, LS6, or LS2 engines. Each kit includes one pair of Coil Covers and all necessary mounting hardware and brackets.

NOTE: Coil Covers fit passenger cars only. No trucks or SUV engines. Coil Covers available second quarter of 2008.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:58 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

All I can say is, welcome to the hobby of hotrodding where nothing fits or works without some sort of customization or moddifying.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to cut a couple bits out on the corvette covers to make them fit in f-bodies. I think I've seen a template floating around. Afterthoughts sells them already modified to fit: http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/ls1...il-covers.html
Old 08-16-2011, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here are the promised pictures. Notice the DS brake booster line touching, a full 3+ inches before the holes lined up. Also, the notch on the bottom of that cover should be on the PS for an LS1 Camaro oil dipstick. The PS side I couldn't get even close to getting it in position, so I just took a picture to show how packed it was in there. I understand some modifications should be necessary for a project like this, but if I used these covers, it would only be in spirit... and the PS would only have 3 brackets used.
Attached Thumbnails Prof Prod Coil Covers FTL-100_0830-c.jpg   Prof Prod Coil Covers FTL-100_0831c.jpg   Prof Prod Coil Covers FTL-100_0832c.jpg  
Old 08-16-2011, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Throw'em in my trash can, ..., I'll dig'em out & make'em fit, ...
Did you do ANY research on Fuel Rail Covers on here before jumpin' in with both feet?!?
If so, you'd know there are a ton of threads about modifying the Corvette FRC's to fit.
But hell, send'em to me & I'll make the changes required to make'em fit, & send'em back. For a fee of course! :o)
Old 08-17-2011, 05:17 AM
Captain Double Post

yeah bud you have to do a few lil mods to them to make those fit lol ,doesnt take much lol,
Old 08-17-2011, 05:19 AM
Captain Double Post

you did a good job on them though , but you can easily get those things to fit ,search,search,search

Quick Reply: Prof Prod Coil Covers FTL