Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need opinions/info on 98-02 camaro headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need opinions/info on 98-02 camaro headlights

I like the look of 6000k hid lights but I'd hate to blind people on the road. What if I painted the whole headlight housing black, do you think it will cut down on glare reasonably so it's not blinding? Or would it not give enough illumination of the road? More importantly, is it illegal to have no reflectors in the housing? I've never heard of anyone that has tried this. I like the look of the whistler mod but I've got different plans for my headlights.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't think by you painting the whole housing black you will gain anything by using HID's or factory style bulbs at that. I know there was a guy on here not to long ago tried painting the whole headlight black and I don't think it worked out for him. I can't remember if he was using HID"s or factory style lights but I don't think that would help or not. Just my $0.02 though.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So you're saying it doesn't matter if I paint them all black, they will still give a lot of glare to oncoming traffic?
Old 09-06-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will reduce your visibilty at night and look like crap during the day IMO. I say don't do it. Considering how low these cars are the glare from HIDS is not too bad... nothing like a truck or SUV, those ones I can't stand!
Old 09-06-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
It will reduce your visibilty at night and look like crap during the day IMO. I say don't do it. Considering how low these cars are the glare from HIDS is not too bad... nothing like a truck or SUV, those ones I can't stand!
Couldn't have said it better. I say go for the Whistler if nothing else that way it'll still maintain stock like function but look a little more updated than the completely stock look.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Painting the reflector black will decrease output noticeably and make the upgrade to HID pointless and increase heat build-up in the housing.

If you want to cut glare, get projectors. Either buy aftermarket housings or retrofit HID projectors into your current housings.

Quick Reply: Need opinions/info on 98-02 camaro headlights