Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

BLS 93-97 Camaro Bi-Xenon Projector Retrofit - Install Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they look great! definitely ready to buy a set!

the only thing that worries me a little is the install. i'm running a procharger, and i got all sorts of plumbing running through the bottom of my car including inside the front bumper. might be very difficult for me if some things must be done through the bottom. is it possible to get an electronic copy of the install instruction once you have it written out all nicely with pictures? don't know if you can post it on here?

definitely want a set, but would like to know how difficult it will be for me personally since i have a bunch of aftermarket stuff taking up space that is empty on a stock car.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

They were installed for the most part from the top, only the passenger side had the bottom plastic removed, and that was just cause I could.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mtedenajimenez
they look great! definitely ready to buy a set!

the only thing that worries me a little is the install. i'm running a procharger, and i got all sorts of plumbing running through the bottom of my car including inside the front bumper. might be very difficult for me if some things must be done through the bottom. is it possible to get an electronic copy of the install instruction once you have it written out all nicely with pictures? don't know if you can post it on here?

definitely want a set, but would like to know how difficult it will be for me personally since i have a bunch of aftermarket stuff taking up space that is empty on a stock car.
Great and glad you like the finished product.

I have a procharger as well and can understand the amount of piping those systems take up. Are you running a front mount intercooler or the twins? If you can see the back of the headlights from the bottom of the car, then you should not have a problem. On the top side, you may have to remove your main charge pipe to access the area behind the drivers side headlight. It can be accessed from the bottom as well.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

i'm running the twins. i don't have the bottom plastic splash panels anymore cause that's where the twins sit.

i'll have to take a look under there later today, hopefully i can see some daylight, or figure out some way where i can get some combo of extensions and joints to work. i just know trying to change out the front marker bulbs leaves my forearms looking like i got into a fight with an angry cat and lost, haha. i'm of a thin build though, so i can get into some places that look impossible to get into, haha.

Last edited by mtedenajimenez; 12-11-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

The two far outside housings may be tough without going from the bottom, but, with patience and good tools, it should be fine.

I did the passenger side with the bottom removed and the driver without, so its doable either way.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

So, all 4 headlamps are Bi-xenon lamps?
Old 12-11-2011, 05:04 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cgroh89
So, all 4 headlamps are Bi-xenon lamps?
Correct. Each headlight is a bi-xenon projector so if you went with the 4-light setup, you would have 4 low beams and 4 highs.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

well. i stand corrected. with all 4 installed in black..... they look pretty good.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Could I buy a un-assembled kit or just the brackets to use my own projectors so I can modify the cut-offs and foreground limiter etc. The problem I see is using the fog lights as well. You may get pulled over for a police officer thinking your high beams are on and alot of places limiting your vehicle to having 4 lights on at a certain time. Congrats on doing the work and if I pick up another camaro this year instead of a transam you have a customer right here.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:05 PM
FormerVendor

Could I buy a un-assembled kit or just the brackets to use my own projectors so I can modify the cut-offs and foreground limiter etc. The problem I see is using the fog lights as well. You may get pulled over for a police officer thinking your high beams are on and alot of places limiting your vehicle to having 4 lights on at a certain time. Congrats on doing the work and if I pick up another camaro this year instead of a transam you have a customer right here.
We can discuss an un-assembled kit once we get rolling but these housings are made around this particular projector. I would hate to see you buy something that when modified, simply will be a bunch of wasted material/money.

As for the issue of all four lights being on, the wiring would not be horribly difficult to modify. You could run the low beam position projectors and then have the highs come on when you hit the switch. If you want, you could also run halogen lamps in the high beam projectors rather than a HID lamp to be operated just as a described.

These can be offered without a HID kit if others wanted to source their own components. The harness and associated connectors would be recommended so everything works as it should.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

I was just wondering as I have done my own retrofits in my Subaru and I am hopefully going to be starting to work on making my own cut offs and what not. What are they using something like mini h1's or d2s's?
Old 12-11-2011, 06:39 PM
FormerVendor

I was just wondering as I have done my own retrofits in my Subaru and I am hopefully going to be starting to work on making my own cut offs and what not. What are they using something like mini h1's or d2s's?
The Morimoto Matchbox units, the mini's are too big to fit without major modification.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

That's a nice clean install.

However, I'm concerned that having all 4 on at once may be too much foreground light which will make things in front of you look really bright but stuff in the distance look darker (effectively limiting distance vision).

Can you take pics with just 2 on and do the back forth flip gif with stock/2-on/4-on?

Or maybe add a foreground limiter (or a more aggressive one it there is one already) on the inner (high beam location) ones so more light is in the distance and not so much right in front. Might also be a good idea to aim them lightly differently (basically aim the inner ones slightly higher and narrower with the outer ones slightly lower and wider but all 4 still within proper aiming spec).

Sorry if I sound demanding or critical, I'm just trying to help to make sure its as good as it can be. If I had a 1993-1997 Camaro, I would be interested in buying a set (but I have a 2001 Firebird with a custom projector setup).

Keep up the good work.

Last edited by VIP1; 12-11-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by VIP1
That's a nice clean install.

However, I'm concerned that having all 4 on at once may be too much foreground light which will make things in front of you look really bright but stuff in the distance look darker (effectively limiting distance vision).

Can you take pics with just 2 on and do the back forth flip gif with stock/2-on/4-on?

Or maybe add a foreground limiter (or a more aggressive one it there is one already) on the inner (high beam location) ones so more light is in the distance and not so much right in front. Might also be a good idea to aim them lightly differently (basically aim the inner ones slightly higher and narrower with the outer ones slightly lower and wider but all 4 still within proper aiming spec).

Sorry if I sound demanding or critical, I'm just trying to help to make sure its as good as it can be. If I had a 1993-1997 Camaro, I would be interested in buying a set (but I have a 2001 Firebird with a custom projector setup).

Keep up the good work.
Nothing wrong with comments. You know lighting so these are all good points. As I mentioned earlier, we didn't finish aiming as it was late and seemingly getting colder. We had guys literally putting there hands on LT1 valve covers to stay warm haha.

Having just two headlights on was softer (read: less intense) but we simply forgot to block off two of the lights and take a picture. I will see if our buddy with the camera and the car owner will take some additional pics. We can work to tweak the output a bit but as mentioned, we are going to test these out for a few weeks before anything is put up for sale.

Our additional goal is to bring the price down as much as we can. The housing material and machine work is where much of the cost is so if we get that reduced, the savings can be passed on to potential customers.

Just to reiterate, the customer can choose to purchase just two of the housings and does not need all four. As you know, this is a challenging market however the one nice bonus is it doesn't take much to blow away the stock headlights.

Here is a pic with the same camera used for our other headlight kit pictures. It may give a little bit different perspective.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cut off looks great and so does the light out put.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:51 AM
Staging Lane

i took a look at the bottom of my car and know exactly the area you guys are talking about to get to the headlights from the bottom. that's exactly where my twin intercoolers sit, hahaha. for anybody that is procharged with the twin setup, it's a 100% no-go from the bottom. unless you want to take that all off which is a pain in the bleep (i did the install, and many a cussing was done during, haha, on a lift it would be easier to do that but still no simple task).

that being said, i looked at the top and i'm pretty confident if you take out all the stock stuff and then install the low beam area first, that with the right tools it can be done without damaging anything. i have no idea which tools those would be until i see the instruction and exactly how they hook up to the headlight panel and adjust.

i'm guessing these adjust from the back? which might mean, you need to be happy about low beam install and adjustment before you move to the high beam position install (if installing through top). again, i'm just guessing.

i'm still very much in for a hid quad set though. i've been waiting too long, and this looks like such a great upgrade once installed.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think I can wait weeks. I may have to try freezing myself....
Old 12-12-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Can empty housings be purchased? And if so what size bulb do they take?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:53 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mtedenajimenez
i took a look at the bottom of my car and know exactly the area you guys are talking about to get to the headlights from the bottom. that's exactly where my twin intercoolers sit, hahaha. for anybody that is procharged with the twin setup, it's a 100% no-go from the bottom. unless you want to take that all off which is a pain in the bleep (i did the install, and many a cussing was done during, haha, on a lift it would be easier to do that but still no simple task).

that being said, i looked at the top and i'm pretty confident if you take out all the stock stuff and then install the low beam area first, that with the right tools it can be done without damaging anything. i have no idea which tools those would be until i see the instruction and exactly how they hook up to the headlight panel and adjust.

i'm guessing these adjust from the back? which might mean, you need to be happy about low beam install and adjustment before you move to the high beam position install (if installing through top). again, i'm just guessing.

i'm still very much in for a hid quad set though. i've been waiting too long, and this looks like such a great upgrade once installed.
I have the twin intercoolers as well but this on a Firebird, not a Camaro so its good you mentioned this. The housings are fastened to the headlight panel from the backside so space is limited. It may be just easier to remove the front bumper for someone like yourself and your mods.

If you are doing the install, it will be recommended you work on the low beams first before moving onto the highs. You get some space when removing the high beams.

Looking forward to earning your business!

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
I don't think I can wait weeks. I may have to try freezing myself....
I'm sure a shop in the area would let you use their bay to do the install

Originally Posted by pancho toco loco
Can empty housings be purchased? And if so what size bulb do they take?
I don't see why we couldn't offer them like that and the projectors take H1 lamps.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BLSolutions
I have the twin intercoolers as well but this on a Firebird, not a Camaro so its good you mentioned this. The housings are fastened to the headlight panel from the backside so space is limited. It may be just easier to remove the front bumper for someone like yourself and your mods.

If you are doing the install, it will be recommended you work on the low beams first before moving onto the highs. You get some space when removing the high beams.

Looking forward to earning your business!
unfortunately removing the bumper is too risky for me. it's not a driver, i have final show quality paint on, and i spent forever making sure the gaps are as good as they get with the bumper relative to everything else and the front body kit pieces.

if i install these on my car, it's gonna have to be from the top. if Shownomercy did it, then it's gotta be possible. i really don't mind spending another 100 bucks or whatever, if that's what it takes, on some special small tools or something. much easier to do that then deal with dropping the intercoolers or bumper.

i wish i knew what kind of hardware was back there so i could plan and be ready for when they go on sale. would be nice if you could share a close up pic behind the housing or share what size and type of hardware i will need to tighten down. it's cool though, if you can't yet release that info until these go on sale.

Quick Reply: BLS 93-97 Camaro Bi-Xenon Projector Retrofit - Install Pics!