Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

safe way to wash my engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation safe way to wash my engine bay?

So i want to wash my engine bay but i know its probably not a good idea to just get a hose and start spraying everything so what would i need to cover up to safely wash my engine bay?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Grab some simple green and dilute it with some water, I'd go 50/50 mix. Also could spary some de-greaser and what not in there. spray it all over the shock towers and pretty much everything else. If you wanted to cover anything, the coils and PCM would be the 2 main ones. If you use simple green make sure you rinse it off pretty quick as its not good for aluminum. use a hose, not too much pressure and just spray everything off. I've actually never covered anything, and I haven't had any issues so far
Old 05-01-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well ive got a bottle of meguires engine bay detailer and it says to wash the engine bay and apply this as more like a polish coat then after you let it soak for a few minutes you're supposed to rinse it off too and i didnt know if there was anything electtrical that water would mess up
Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Launching!

do you know if the meguires has any degreasing agents in it? If not you may want to go with something a little bit more aggressive first, rinse and then use your meguires. And As long as you dont pressure wash over the pcm/coils/ maybe fuse box area you should be okay. I'm sure some otheres will chime in, just from my experience I haven't had any electrical issues by just gently rinsing everything off
Old 05-01-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah it has some greasing agents in it. The first round wash is mainly to remove loose dirt and gunk and then the meguires acts as the penetrating agent but its good to kno just a simple rinse wont destroy my electrical system lol
Old 05-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would cover the alternator and make sure no water gets into the knock sensor area. Just use a degreaser on a towel and start digging with your fingers. Take your time!
Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

I always get **** for this, but I haven't had a problem for the ~7 years Ive been doing it.
Spray it down with degreased or I use Black Magic engine shine, then take a pressure washer to it.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ngine-bay.html

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Avoid Drenching the PCM.

I use Meguiars Super Degreaser which is killer stuff and various brushes.

I sometimes run the motor for a minute to get some heat into the block. A cold surface makes it hard to get off subborn stuff.

Rinse, Spray, Dwell, Aggitate, Rinse, Repeat. Dry with towels and running the engine and let it steam off.

Dress if you like. Gel tireshine will make it look killer or a specific engine dressing. I have used Meg's Hyper Dressing Mixed 1 to 1 ratio.
Meguiar's sells Super Degreaser, works killer. It's a part of their professional line and works great. Honestly I have enough to last me a long time.

The ONLY engine bay you need to worry about is at BEST an LS1 due to the Opti. On LS1's go nuts.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Ive always just sprayed it down with water and dawn dish soap, let it sit, and then sprayed it down. Never covered anything, I just dont directly spray around the PCM, fuse box etc, more of a misting rain kind of spray. Most of that is designed to be pretty waterproof. Alternator is low enough Im sure it gets wet every time you drive in the rain so I wouldnt sweat that.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Becareful with alot of the cleaners,to strong and you can strip paint, i usally get the engine warm, spray it down with a degreaser and let it sit for a few mins. If its real bad get a long soft brissel brush, then just spray off with the pressure gun at the car wash, right after i will hit it with an air hose to dry it real good, then stoners makes a trim spray, i use that and works great, spray it on everything and when it dries everything will look great,some use tire shine etc but that and cd2 engine detailer are the best i have used, also dont be a jackass when spraying it off, dont go to down spraying the living crap out of stuff, ya can hit things pretty good though, post before and after pics
Old 05-02-2012, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The only thing I don't spray head on with degreaser and a pressure washer is my cone air filter.

PCM is in the old a/c box but the connectors should be weather tight anyway. Coils and alternator I've never had an issue with. I always clean it when the engine is hot and let it run right after to help evaporate most of the water quickly.

BTW taking it to the car wash and using the "tire cleaner" setting followed by soap followed by rinse will get nearly everything off easy.

Quick Reply: safe way to wash my engine bay?