Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Junkman's, The Mother of All "How to Fix Your Paint for Novices" Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Junkman's, The Mother of All "How to Fix Your Paint for Novices" Thread!

That's right boys and girls, The Junkman has went and made paint correction so easy, a caveman could do it! In the following videos, I cover the entire process from start to finish. I have combined the entire process into one long video so get ready to sit for awhile. I am VERY thorough when it comes to detailing videos.

If you have ever been apprehensive about using a machine to rid your paint of scratches and swirls, you will definitely not be worried after watching this video series. I break it down to a level where a 10 year old can watch these videos and start fixing paint. The supplies and equipment that I use are readily available in the USA and abroad (for the most part). If you have a serious desire to finally fix your paint and about 1 hour and 54 minutes, then this video series is totally for you. After you have watched this series, you will not believe how easy I have made this.

So sit back and get out some popcorn, kick up your feet and enjoy. The Junkman is about to burst onto your screen in a way that only the Junkman can!

Here are your before and after shots, which won't make a lot of sense until you have watched the videos, especially when you see how the number "2" ended up in the paint!

BEFORE...

AFTER!

Here is the video. Remember, it was a 5-part series in the beginning but I have since combined it into one, long video. I am going to leave the comments below in place because they break down how the video is structured. Enjoy!
Part 1 - Hey boys and girls! Finally, a video series that takes the process of paint correction from the beginning to the end (from claying to waxing). Although I do not apply any wax at the end, I cover everything else in detail. This series is 1 hour and 54 minutes long so that should give you an idea as to how much detail I go into.

In this first video, I talk in detail about exactly what paint correction is. I also go into detail about the polishing technique you should use as well as the best product on the market that you should buy. I cover other topics too so just sit back and kick up your feet. This video is 15 minutes and 7 seconds long.

Part 2 - In this video, I go into detail about exactly what I use to remove the paint damage within this video series. I name and visually show every piece of equipment as well as all of the products necessary to do paint correction. In some cases, I even offer up a location where you can find the products that I use. I talk about why I chose to use the products that I use as well as what I don't use. If you want a list of these items, WATCH THIS

Part 3 - Okay, in this video I identify the damage that we are going to repair. I even go as far to create some damage just to ensure that my paint will be more jacked up than your paint. I then go into detail about claying, and what it does for your finish. Last of all, I show how to assemble the PC-7424XP so that we can start the polishing process. The video following this video will be in high definition so that you can clearly see the damage and the effectiveness of my repair.
Part 4 - Because I wanted the viewers of this video to be able to see the results of the work that I did in high detail, I uploaded this video in high definition. That took 12 hours!

In this video, I actually go into the proper technique for polishing with the PC-7424XP, showing me using the machine properly. I show the polishes that I use, the pads that each polish is used on, how to work the polisher and how much polish should be used. I also talk about the importance of not using too much polish and clogging up the pores in the pads, which makes the whole process worthless. I go into the discussion of how long to work a polish and when to stop (after a polish flashes). I show which order the polishes are used and explain why you use them in that order.

One thing that I stress in this video is the importance of a solid technique. I talk about and show the technique that I use, as well as how to ensure that you are developing a solid technique. As I say often in this video series, "Technique trumps product 365, 24/7. No matter who's polishes you decide to use, none of them will work worth a darn if your technique sucks. Technique rules!

Conclusion - I recap my process and allow you into my mindset concerning paint correction and caring for your paint.

The Junkman

Last edited by Junkman2008; 04-17-2024 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks junkman for this,been looking for a write up like this forever! Now to get my supplies and go to work! You the man!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another great junkman write-up.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Teching In

good stuff
Old 09-25-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks Junkman. Ive already had a couple go arounds "fixing" my cars paint but Im gonna take the time and watch these videos again. Most I have already seen but it never hurts to gain some knowledge. Thanks again!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just watched all the vids. Great great info in here. Love that there isn't much editing to prove a point and the sense of humor is priceless. Kept me laughing. Great job all around.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Junkman is on ls1 tech? Wow that's awesome.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

Great videos to watch over a lunch.

Def. got some pointers for next time I give my car a whirl.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mac62989
Thanks Junkman. Ive already had a couple go arounds "fixing" my cars paint but Im gonna take the time and watch these videos again. Most I have already seen but it never hurts to gain some knowledge. Thanks again!
These are totally new videos. You'll see once you start watching them.

Originally Posted by porksoda
I just watched all the vids. Great great info in here. Love that there isn't much editing to prove a point and the sense of humor is priceless. Kept me laughing. Great job all around.
We don't fake the funk at 'a brutha' in his garage productions!'

Originally Posted by TwitchZ28
The Junkman is on ls1 tech? Wow that's awesome.
You've missed all my LS1 writeup's? Here's the last one I did on replacing the head gasket on the right side. I've been around, I just never knew there was a detailing section until a little bit ago!
Old 09-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Can't wait to get home and watch this lol.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I will have to check these out. Always good to see posts/vids from Junkman.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
You've missed all my LS1 writeup's? Here's the last one I did on replacing the head gasket on the right side. I've been around, I just never knew there was a detailing section until a little bit ago!
Haha yeah man I did miss them on here. I just stumbled onto your youtube channel. I really was only interested in the detailing videos and the mean o' camino videos are hilarious.

I am a relatively new detailer (couple years part time). Your videos have been great and was where I was first introduced to the foam gun...that's my biggest thanks to you. I love my foam gun haha.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

A lot of people have no clue as to how important the foam gun is to your wash process. If you don't loosen up the dirt that is matted to your clear coat BEFORE you wipe across the paint, you are doing untold amounts of damage every time you wash your car. For those reading this who don't know what a foam gun is, here's a short video of me using one.

The Mean O' Camino is a blast to drive!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

great info man. will this same process work for the damn single stage paint somebody repainted my car with? i have swirls all over my car but im nervous about trying this on my car because i dont have a clear coat. basically ill be taking off the paint. also should i use the same m105 and m205 or should i use something different for a black car?

thanks for the great vids.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hodge9386
great info man. will this same process work for the damn single stage paint somebody repainted my car with? i have swirls all over my car but im nervous about trying this on my car because i dont have a clear coat. basically ill be taking off the paint.

thanks for the great vids.
Just as I explain in these videos, the process is EXACTLY the same with single stage paint as it is with 2-stage paint. I would use a paint thickness gauge just to keep from removing too much paint if your paint is thin but that doesn't appear to be your situation.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great series, lots of great info! Hodge9386 and I just got done with them a few minutes ago. I told him not to worry about single stage and just go at it with the PC but he wanted to ask you for confirmation lol.

Semper Fi!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by djfury05
Great series, lots of great info! Hodge9386 and I just got done with them a few minutes ago. I told him not to worry about single stage and just go at it with the PC but he wanted to ask you for confirmation lol.

Semper Fi!
Smack him for me. lol!

Semper Fi!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does a foam gun really do that much better of a job as say opposed to blasting it with jet stream attachment from a garden hose?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by porksoda
Does a foam gun really do that much better of a job as say opposed to blasting it with jet stream attachment from a garden hose?
There is no comparison.

Imagine a dirty toilet. There's dirt sitting at the water line and there's dirt sitting below the water line. The dirt BELOW the water stays stuck to the bowl regardless of the fact that it is sitting under water! Now pour a cup of Clorox into the water and come back and look at the toilet a few minutes later. All the dirt is gone with NO agitation! The water alone could not do that but adding a cleaning agent lifted the dirt off the bowl. This is exactly what the foam from the foam gun does to the dirt that is stuck to your clear coat. It loosens up the dirt that is stuck to your clear coat so that when you come across the paint with your wash mitt, you are not grinding that matted dirt into your paint! The foam from the foam gun adds lubrication to your agitation of that matted dirt by dissolving it. The foam gun makes it SAFE to come across your paint with a wash mitt. Water alone cannot do that!

So many people are under the misconception that a touchless car wash can get your paint clean when in fact, they always leave a film of dirt on your car, regardless of the water pressure and temperature. Dirt must be agitated off the car unless you use something very harsh and not made for paint. Since that's not an option, you must use something safe and mild, which means that you are going to have to touch that dirt. If you have to touch it, you need to make sure that you do it in the safest manner possible.

That's why the foam gun is SO important!

Last edited by Junkman2008; 09-25-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Junkman's, The Mother of All "How to Fix Your Paint for Novices" Thread!