Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gauge LED install - left turn signal and high beam indicator problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Gauge LED install - left turn signal and high beam indicator problem

I completed a couple of appearance projects on the SS - I did the DRL/autolight mod where I soldered between the A&B pins on the C2 connector of the module (behind the radio in the dash).

I also upgraded the gauge cluster bulbs with LED's as my stock bulbs were dim and some burnt out. I used the superbrightled WLED-xHP6 bulbs for the high beam indicator and backlighting and used the WLED-xHP5 for the turn signals.

There are two issues now, and I am not sure if I buggered something up in the !DRL project.

1) The highbeam indicator doesn't seem to work. The actual highbeams do work, and I checked the bulb and it works (put it in one of the backlighting sockets). I also checked polarity. I will be checking to make sure the bulb holder is sitting/fitting snugly against the circuit board.

2) My right turn signal works (seems to flash really slowly, but the Camaro signals were always "slow") - the left one, though, stays on solid. Do I need an electronic flasher? I have incandescent bulbs on the exterior. When I parked the car in November the left turn signal was working perfectly. The only change on that circuit is the addition of the green LED's in the cluster.

Any ideas?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the turn signal doesn't blink it means either your front or back signal light bulb isn't.
with the cluster leds i've faced an issue with Leds that have 2 pins only won't work but the ones that had 4 only worked.. i was going for full red cluster but i ended up with high beam indicator and turn signals as blue .. like it very much makes me feel im in a cop car lol.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool - I'll have to check the front and rear bulbs to see if one is out. I'll wait until the temp is at least in the double digits here in MI. Too effing cold to do anything right now!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

did you check the bulbs to make sure they worked before you installed? ........many i find are dead out of the box
Old 01-23-2013, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
did you check the bulbs to make sure they worked before you installed? ........many i find are dead out of the box
Yup - I verified that the blue high beam indicator bulb worked. It just doesn't seem to work in the right location. I guess I'll have to bust out the multimeter to see if the PC board is providing power, and if so, if the bulb holder has power.

Quick Reply: Gauge LED install - left turn signal and high beam indicator problem