Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Couple of questions about first real wash/wax

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of questions about first real wash/wax

I've just started buying some stuff to clean my car for real. I wasn't aware how involved cleaning your car properly was.

I have black powder coated OE rims, I just want to ensure that Sonax wheel cleaner is safe on them? This seems to be one of the better wheel cleaners out there.

Also, I bought some blackfire gloss enhancing polish and wax, is it ok to use Adams detail spray and clay on it? GoFast in his thread said to use the same stuff, I wasn't aware that all of Adam's stuff is USA made, this is why I am consider switching.

Also any other tips on my first real clay/wash/wax? (I'm aware of the 2 bucket grit guard washing and am going to get a foam gun).

My car is white btw
Old 02-22-2013, 05:14 AM
On The Tree

Anyone?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion it doesnt matter what soap you use to wash the car or wheels, except for Purple Power, DO NOT use that on your car. It will eat the clear coat off. The quality of cleanliness comes from how mush effort you put into it. A good hand job goes a long way no matter what soap you use!

I have bought expensive signature soaps before and they did well. I also used Baby Shampoo & Dawn and got the same results for more than half the price. The only difference is that the signature soaps are not as harsh and will make your last wax job last longer. But thats why they sell detailer wax in a spray bottle, you wash the car with Dawn and then hit it with a detailer spray wax and your good to go! Wax the car twice a year and you have a good protective coating.

This is just my opinion but I have 3 vehicles that I maintain in this manner and they all shine like new money!

Chad

Last edited by ss4chad; 02-22-2013 at 06:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-22-2013, 06:57 AM
On The Tree

I also have an Arctic White Camaro SS and I find Meguiars to work very well... needing to wax mine here this weekend. White sure is a PIA to keep clean!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:47 AM
Launching!

Just a small tip if you've never used the clay bar before, Don't rub too hard, the clay will leave a white residue which isn't that bad, but it needs to be buffed out or it will leave an odd looking patch on your car. Just make sure you keep the bar wet and the car and everything should come out looking great
Old 02-22-2013, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

I've never used a clay bar before so what are the steps?

Wash, clay, wax?
Old 02-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ss4chad
. A good hand job goes a long way no matter what soap you use!

Chad
Amen..........

Old 02-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD2theBONE
I've never used a clay bar before so what are the steps?

Wash, clay, wax?
Yes. But keep the surface to be clays very soapy and wet.....or you'll damage the clear coat.

Wash, clay, wash again, then polish/wax.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep a little container of water with a couple drops of dawn in it for while I am claying.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:45 PM
FormerVendor

Glad to hear you are considering our products!

Our Car Wash Shampoo is pH neutral, so it's a extremely gentle, yet effective cleaner for wheels with a delicate finish. Being pH neutral also insures that it won't degrade any protection that's currently on your finish.

If you need a little more aggressive cleaning power, our Green Wheel Cleaner fits the bill. It's designed to remove metallic-based contaminants (think brake dust) from wheels while still remaining safe for use on delicate finishes.

Our Clay Bar and Detail Spray work perfect together and will not react with any other products.

You're on the right track with the two bucket wash method. Be sure to use high quality wash pads/merino wool mitts to ensure you aren't inflicting and damage into your finish.

Lastly, detailing products don't care what color your paint is, you're only working in the clear coat. Most of the color specific products on the market contain dyed fillers in them that quickly degrade over time, so beware of those.

P.S. keep an eye out for a new product we will be releasing VERY soon that is an alternative to one of the ones I mentioned above.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

If you aren't planning on doing any polishing try and get the finest grade clay you can. Use lots of detail spray. Glide it over the paint and don't try to push down to hard. If you try and press too hard it can cause micro marring.

Quick Reply: Couple of questions about first real wash/wax