23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

98+ Firebird/Formula plasti-dip idea

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98+ Firebird/Formula plasti-dip idea

OK I posted this over in the main Plasti-dip sticky in the paint and body section but I think more people look in this section.

I had an idea I hadn't seen done before so I decided to try it and to be perfectly honest part of me likes it and part of me doesn't so I wanted your honest opinion (if you hate it say so, just say why you do).

Also I know my paint lines are crap, it was done at 2 in the morning with 2" wide tape which is the wrong stuff for taping a curved line and with a porch light and led flashlight that straps to your head for lighting. If the decision to keep it is made it will be redone properly.

part of this was to help in deciding a future bumper mod I want to do one day, I want to get a honeycomb mesh made to go in front of the DRL and fog lights, so the lower section is to plan out the shape of the mesh basically.
Attached Thumbnails 98+ Firebird/Formula plasti-dip idea-img_1184.jpg   98+ Firebird/Formula plasti-dip idea-img_1185.jpg   98+ Firebird/Formula plasti-dip idea-img_1186.jpg   98+ Firebird/Formula plasti-dip idea-img_1187.jpg   98+ Firebird/Formula plasti-dip idea-img_1188.jpg  

Old 09-16-2013, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
OK I posted this over in the main Plasti-dip sticky in the paint and body section but I think more people look in this section.

I had an idea I hadn't seen done before so I decided to try it and to be perfectly honest part of me likes it and part of me doesn't so I wanted your honest opinion (if you hate it say so, just say why you do).

Also I know my paint lines are crap, it was done at 2 in the morning with 2" wide tape which is the wrong stuff for taping a curved line and with a porch light and led flashlight that straps to your head for lighting. If the decision to keep it is made it will be redone properly.

part of this was to help in deciding a future bumper mod I want to do one day, I want to get a honeycomb mesh made to go in front of the DRL and fog lights, so the lower section is to plan out the shape of the mesh basically.
I am in the same boat as you...yes or no.....leaning toward yes .Ithink it is something you have to ponder for a while and keep looking at it to decide. Maybe doing a better tape job and redoing it will help you make your mind up.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

i dont like the headlight area done but the foglight/turn signal looks decent .
Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
i dont like the headlight area done but the foglight/turn signal looks decent .
I did not even notice the headlight area and defintetally not like it. But like I said the other area has potential.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Honestly, I really like both the headlight areas and the fog light/running light areas. To me, at least, it's a new, fresh, and creative take on the front end of those cars. If I had a Firebird, I would probably apply the same treatment to its front end.

No matter what you decide, thanks for taking the time to give us all a fresh perspective of possible updates to the front of these cars. I wish you my best in reaching your decision.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Launching!

I like it. The headlights not as much but the fog lights look good
Old 09-16-2013, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

I like it but needs more black to tie it all together. Maybe do the bird on the license plate cover black also?
Old 09-16-2013, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1999transamls1
I like it but needs more black to tie it all together. Maybe do the bird on the license plate cover black also?
I think it would definitely sit better if the car had a CETA modded T/A rear bumper, so you have a front to back balance, might give the bird a try sometime and see, would like to see this on a dark blue firebird and maroon, I think it would go well with those colors.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Looks good!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

It's actually not bad. If the tape lines were a little cleaner it'll look better tho.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

I don't like the headlights but the foglight/turn signals have promise. The only thing that jumps out is that Firebirds / TAs are all curves and no hard edges... The far outside, near the fog light looks great because the natural body line was followed. The part closes to the license plate are is just a straight line with hard corners and IMO just doesn't flow right with the cars contours (although i completely understand why you ended it there). But it would take a better man then i am to figure out how to finesse that area. Overall though i like the idea.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen hundreds of pics of plati dipped stuff so far. There has been 2 thatI thought looked good. urs is one of the 2.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

I always thought of doing a vinyl inlay in the fog light area but never did it. Your Plasti Dip in that area is just like what I pictured the vinyl to look like. What I did is... I have New fog light covers that are a perfect fit. They are not available anywhere for the "Firebird" yet but soon will be!! Soon I am going to post a thread with where to buy if you are a Firebird guys 1998-2002.

Last edited by ws6man29; 09-18-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I think it would definitely sit better if the car had a CETA modded T/A rear bumper, so you have a front to back balance, might give the bird a try sometime and see, would like to see this on a dark blue firebird and maroon, I think it would go well with those colors.
You could always try the CETA Formula mod. I have seen a couple others and it looks decent.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Brutal Boba Fett
I don't like the headlights but the foglight/turn signals have promise. The only thing that jumps out is that Firebirds / TAs are all curves and no hard edges... The far outside, near the fog light looks great because the natural body line was followed. The part closes to the license plate are is just a straight line with hard corners and IMO just doesn't flow right with the cars contours (although i completely understand why you ended it there). But it would take a better man then i am to figure out how to finesse that area. Overall though i like the idea.
if/when I redo it with the right tape I would try to match similar curves to the inside edges of the headlights.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

looks like your car has 2 black eyes with the headlights done. fog lights dont look too bad.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

makes the car look like a giant raccoon!
Old 09-19-2013, 07:55 AM
TECH Regular

I had a similar idea when i had my camaro

Old 09-19-2013, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure I am a fan.

I went the other way with mine and painted the headlight buckets body color. I always liked how the black TA/Formulas looked with the black on black.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
Not sure I am a fan.

I went the other way with mine and painted the headlight buckets body color. I always liked how the black TA/Formulas looked with the black on black.

I had thought of going that route with the headlights till I saw a picture in here of a pewter one (like mine) painted like that and decided I did not like that look.

Quick Reply: 98+ Firebird/Formula plasti-dip idea