Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best way to smoke side markers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 03:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to smoke side markers?

I want to smoke out my front side markers and I'll probably end up doing the side ones as well. What is the best way to do the fronts? I'm going to be using VHT Nightshade to tint them, but I am not sure if I should pull them out or just tape around them. Does the front bumper have to be removed in order to get the whole housing out?
Old 12-29-2013, 03:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely take them out to do them right, and not half-assed. You don't need to remove the bumper. Remove your headlights. Should be one 10mm bolt. Disconnect the bulbs and then they just slide out. Then you can get down to the parking lights. I believe they have 3 bolts holding them in, 2 7mm, and 1 10mm. Remove the light bulb, and then pull the lights out. It takes some finagling and a little force/pressure it get them in and out. But it's not too bad.

Personally I'm not too fond of VHT, though I've used it several times in the past. It has a purple hue to it that I don't care for, and in general I don't like the way the lights look when illuminated. I suggest taking them to a shop to have them sprayed with some clear with a little black mixed in. The cars I've seen on person with their lights tinted this way have by far the best look. I'll be doing the same with some lights in the near future.

But if you stick with the VHT, just he sure to prep the lights right and as always, follow the directions on the can. Good luck! Post some pics when you get done.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for all the info crimson. I'm glad I found out that nightshade turns purple lol I would have been pissed. I'll get some pics up when I'm finished though, thanks again for the write up
Old 12-29-2013, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

No problem. But I wouldn't say it turns purple, it just has a purple hue that you can see when the light bulbs are lit. When the lights are off you don't notice it at all. I kinda liked what the tint did to the colored lenses/ bulbs (red and amber ), as it gave them a deeper color without really noticing the purple. But for clear lenses with a white/ light-yellow bulb (fog lights and reverse lights), the purple hue was noticeable... in a bad way.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO buy new ones. VHT is expensive and you can get new pre black side markers for little more than it costs to VHT them.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
No problem. But I wouldn't say it turns purple, it just has a purple hue that you can see when the light bulbs are lit. When the lights are off you don't notice it at all. I kinda liked what the tint did to the colored lenses/ bulbs (red and amber ), as it gave them a deeper color without really noticing the purple. But for clear lenses with a white/ light-yellow bulb (fog lights and reverse lights), the purple hue was noticeable... in a bad way.
Maybe I'll just use the same tint I did on my rear lights, I believe it was Rust-Oleum black lens tint and I didn't even use a clear gloss over it but was still happy. Either way I just want to get rid of the yellow anything will look better than that.

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
IMO buy new ones. VHT is expensive and you can get new pre black side markers for little more than it costs to VHT them.
I've thought about doing that. But tinting your own lights maybe costs ~$20 for the tint and gloss and I would rather do it myself
Old 12-29-2013, 01:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
I've thought about doing that. But tinting your own lights maybe costs ~$20 for the tint and gloss and I would rather do it myself
New lights would run 20-30 on eBay, shipped. And you get to keep the stock pair just in case you ever decide to return to the original look. Best bang for your buck option.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

op, i nightshades'd mine, and i have to say, wish i would have bought some predone, NS didnt come out great, just ok, and its permanent
Old 12-29-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

window tint.. or just buy the plastic covers that velcro on so they can be removed if pulled over
Old 12-29-2013, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hawk584
window tint.. or just buy the plastic covers that velcro on so they can be removed if pulled over
X2 on window tint, mine has held up pretty good.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

Thought about doing the plastic covers. They're running like 30 bucks. Maybe I should just go with them, I've just heard they look stupid all completely blacked out. I'm looking at the GSCreations blackout kit
Old 12-29-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe not the best showcase being that my car is black.. I have the covers that are removable

Old 12-29-2013, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Vht is what i used
Old 12-29-2013, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hawk584
maybe not the best showcase being that my car is black.. I have the covers that are removable
Are those the GSCreation Akrylic covers? If so I'm going with them.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

the GSCreation's and a few others I found on google searches have the same kit advertised as GSC. The covers I have are pretty much these ones on summit racing. If you happen to get these and if the supplied velcro pieces are black, you can get clear'ish ones at Walmart.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gt...t/model/camaro
Old 12-29-2013, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Gotcha. I really like them, they are clean and look professional. The only thing I'm a little skeptical about is how the GSC covers just slide into the hole. I would be worried they would come out somehow lol.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

From their description, Keeping in mind this is my personal opinion based off the information provided (Unless someone who has actually used the kit could clarify), it reads to me that some sort of painting is involved.

" The kits come with complete color instructions with pictures on how to install via a .pdf file "

So, without knowing exactly what is involved with the kit you could always call tomorrow if they aren't on holiday break. I went the easy route years ago when I bought the removable ones so that if needed I could remove them. I would post a picture without them but there are plenty of pictures like that around , unless you really want me too.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

disregard, as I sit here pondering the GSC kit and those similar, it's just a piece of plastic that gets sandwiched between the turn signal housing and the bumper. As Crimson bird said above, they are probably held in-place with the 3 mounting screws.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

There's a thread on here about the GSC blackout kit. Looks like that's what I'll be going with thanks for all the info
Old 12-29-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

post pictures when it's done or you're fired

Quick Reply: Best way to smoke side markers?