Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

99-02 odo, swapped OEM smd leds with white smd leds, +converting odo to OLED screen

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Short on time replying, but just a note. All of the 3 spoke bags are dual stage . I looked up last night and found picture examples of every model car this bag was in.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could ask my Recording arts campus a couple High Speed Cameras, That would be reallly cool to see, but Im a bit worried about causing any damage to my car, or the C6 wheel, to be honest I think of just leaving the Cobalt stock airbag and plugin it on the high power Airbag and thats it, as far as I know and seen some crash test the cobalt airbag is actually bigger than the one from the camaro and there is no reason of why it should not work, but if I got the camera and a couple of Cobalt`s airbags (about 50 bucks each) I could think on tryiing this to help people know if this airbag stuff will work.

Originally Posted by LT4vert
Short on time replying, but just a note. All of the 3 spoke bags are dual stage . I looked up last night and found picture examples of every model car this bag was in.
yeap, all of them are dualstage... some people at the junk yard told me to check on the cobalt from early 2005 ( or first year of 3 spoke wheels) as some of those may came with single stage airbag, but this is not cornfirmed and it was just a guess from guy...

Last edited by SesiomSummers; 03-09-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

The 05-06 Cobalt was dual stage as well. The first cars to get the 3 spoke were the Corvette and G6 in 2006. The 05 Vette and the 05 G6 with their 1 year only 4 spoke wheels were dual stage already before they got the 3 spoke.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If it was me doing it (and I would like to upgrade my wheel sometime) I'd probably end up just wiring to stage 2 of the dual stage bag and leaving it at that. More than likely enough, and stage 2 of a dual stage bag is more likely to do the job than a 17 year old single stage bag!

And really, while I try to be a cautious driver and have no intentions of ever triggering my airbags (never have yet) I still want it there due to the possibility of a worst-case scenario. I don't want to end up in some accident where somebody nails my car, my bag doesn't go off because I disabled the bag on the non-stock wheel, and then insurance refuses to pay my medical bill because of the non-functional bag.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:55 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
If it was me doing it (and I would like to upgrade my wheel sometime) I'd probably end up just wiring to stage 2 of the dual stage bag and leaving it at that. More than likely enough, and stage 2 of a dual stage bag is more likely to do the job than a 17 year old single stage bag!

And really, while I try to be a cautious driver and have no intentions of ever triggering my airbags (never have yet) I still want it there due to the possibility of a worst-case scenario. I don't want to end up in some accident where somebody nails my car, my bag doesn't go off because I disabled the bag on the non-stock wheel, and then insurance refuses to pay my medical bill because of the non-functional bag.
Exactly. The only thing left to do is find which one of the two connectors is the "high power" stage...
Old 03-11-2016, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

43mm x 34mm needs to be the size of the opening in the plexiglass and gauge face correct?
Old 03-14-2016, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm really excited for this, just so cool of a mod. I already added my name to the FB first batch.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mac62989
43mm x 34mm needs to be the size of the opening in the plexiglass and gauge face correct?
The view area of the display is specified as 37.015 mm x 30.012 mm, so this would be the nominal size of the opening in the gauge face.

The opening in the plexiglass needs to be larger to accomodate the OLED glass. The glass is 42.7mm wide, so a width of 43mm is sufficient. I think all F-body plexiglass cutouts are already wide enough. The height is something else. The glass has a nominal height of 34mm, but the connecting circuit foil should not be bent sharply, so the opening needs to be a few millimeters larger. The top edge of the OLED glass sits right at the existing plexiglass opening as observed by one of the beta testers. He enlarged the plexiglass just a little bit to prevent contact. The bottom edge of the plexiglass is the only part that really needs to be worked on.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:00 AM
Launching!

One result of the beta testing is this: you will get a harness with multicolored wires!

Crimping those pesky Delphi terminals without the right tool seems to be tricky, and to keep you all from having to invest $30 each into a crimp tool, I'll do the crimping and supply a harness with wires already installed. The betas have also suggested lenghts, so there should be enough wire to prevent having to extend (in most installation cases).
Old 03-14-2016, 11:36 AM
TECH Junkie

^Great news. I was essentially asking about the dimensions because I planned on ordering a gauge overlay and didn't want to have to cut up a brand new overlay so I was going to ask 6LE if it was possible to customize that a bit if we indeed had to cut into the face. Not worried about the plexiglass as much as the overlay itself.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:59 AM
Launching!

^Great news. I was essentially asking about the dimensions because I planned on ordering a gauge overlay and didn't want to have to cut up a brand new overlay so I was going to ask 6LE if it was possible to customize that a bit if we indeed had to cut into the face. Not worried about the plexiglass as much as the overlay itself.
Rightfully so, the plexiglass is not very critical. If you really scratch it, who cares. But the overlay is what you will end up seeing.

However, I wouldn't cut anything until you have the OLED installed, I can't guarantee that the relative location of the OLED will be 100% identical for all units. (It probably will be, but I just can't guarantee it). That is also a reason why I won't supply a template. I don't want to be at fault if people mess up their face plate.

The OLED's location is pretty fixed - it can be moved left or right, bus just a little. And it can't be moved up or down: if you move it up, it cuts further into the "Oil/Trip reset" lettering and the white line going to the button, and if you move it down it interferes with the backlighting of the gauges below. If you have a custom overlay made, I'd suggest moving the "OIL/TRIP RESET" lettering and the associated line up a little bit so that it's out of the way.

BTW, I have just yesterday ordered 4 more display unit board sets, so hopefully I'll finally have my own to install into my dummy F-body cluster. Anyway this will be the first 3-4 display units for the first batch of DashComputers!
Old 03-14-2016, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Thats what I saw, it cutting into the Oil Trip Reset text. That makes more sense just having that pushed up slightly instead of having the hole made bigger. Great news on the units
Old 03-14-2016, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats what I saw, it cutting into the Oil Trip Reset text. That makes more sense just having that pushed up slightly instead of having the hole made bigger. Great news on the units
The hole still does need to be bigger. The suggestion for you guys having gauge faces made to move the trip/oil rest text up is just to avoid cutting into it. Not sure of placement on the Trans Am, but on a stock Camaro gauge face cutting into the trip oil reset text is not avoidable.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

When will you be confident or satisfied with the beta testing to be over so we can get these into large batch production stage?

I'm first on the FB list that's why I'm asking... lol
Old 03-18-2016, 03:21 AM
Launching!

Default Beta status

Originally Posted by gm02ceta
When will you be confident or satisfied with the beta testing to be over so we can get these into large batch production stage?

I'm first on the FB list that's why I'm asking... lol
That's understandable, LOL ;-)
I've already ordered some display circuit boards, which should be here after Easter. So I'm getting the ball rolling and am not waiting for the Betas on that. I'm also starting on the wiring harnesses.

As for the betas, one of them I know told me his car is still in storage, and it will take him a while before he can start testing, so I won't be waiting for his feedback before ordering 10-20 main boards.
As for the other two, I know one of them has it pretty much installed and is in the process of wiring up the oil/trip reset button. But he recycled terminals from the junkyard and those made flaky contact, so he ordered a crimp tool to use the terminals I supplied. The other had also ordered a crimp tool, and just updated me that he got the radio out ;-).

This feedback is why I decided to supply a crimped harness to future buyers to make installation easier for them, even if it adds a lot of work making harnesses on my end. So this is exactly the beta feedback I was hoping for, making life easier for the next folks, and it's why I think it's worth the wait.

Other feedback I received is regarding mounting of the box. I may get a different box that has mounting tabs. I'll test order a sample and see how that looks, and that'll hopefully make installation easier for you too.

Another bump we hit was installation of the USB drivers for Windows Vista, which is no longer officially supported, so Windows didn't download drivers automatically. Things like that... But after the drivers were installed the beta was able to flash the unit and like I said now he's about done...

Last edited by Fieroluke; 03-18-2016 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Updated status
Old 03-21-2016, 05:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dang you. I just got my 6LE gauges and didn't consider that option. Granted the gauge guy messed up and having to make another.. Still waiting on my HVAC, headlight and shifter faces still. I'd try to change it but at this point I'll just be glad to get everything in my hands.

That's great news, sounds likes it's getting close. Can't wait to get mine, will be an awesome addition and something I get to see everyday!
Old 03-23-2016, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Default Boards ordered

Okay, I bit the bullet today and ordered a stack of 20 main boards! So enough for everyone currently on the list and then some.
I'll keep you updated on the progress here.

Happy Easter everyone!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

hell yea!!!
Old 03-27-2016, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Came across this thread last night. Think I feel asleep by 3am lol. Today ordered LED's, PLX DM-100, Tamyia paint and am looking around for venture needles. I really dig the dual screens on each side. Have interest in gauge face too. And steering wheel w/ controls. I drove from Phoenix to Chicago last summer in a 2014 Silverado, this takes me back lol, was just playing with menu stuff a lot of the time. Loved it!

Last edited by ls1king000; 03-27-2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:19 PM
Teching In

great looking mod. will definitely be doing this one.

Quick Reply: 99-02 odo, swapped OEM smd leds with white smd leds, +converting odo to OLED screen