Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

98-02 Camaro splitter prototype. My digital design brought to life.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Default 98-02 Camaro splitter prototype. My digital design brought to life.

To start, Im not a business and I will not be producing this, so no questions about how much or when it will be ready to buy. The prototype was derived my photoshopped pic below. It has received positive feedback from about anyone whos seen it and comments from Mark at 6LE about possibly producing it. When I did the digital design it wasnt with cad software, so its easy to make the design look correct. But that doesnt mean it will work in real life. Lots of shapes and math thats hard to account for in a 1 dimensional environment. Normally a prototype like this would be made with wood, shaping foam then hardening it with fiberglass or clay. I do all of my detailing in my garage so I dont want all the dust of sanding that stuff. Soooo, I went ghetto fabulous and used cardboard, masking tape, a sharpie, scissors and an exacto knife Cleanup was a breeze and it effectively told me what I wanted to know. Does it work on the car. Yup!

Heres the original PS

Nice little mess, lol. It really was not that bad. Start to finish I spent maybe 3 hours. A few in process pics.

Now for the finished images. This is were I ended up, but modified it. I felt the lip was just too big.

Sooo, I trimmed it back a little. Now I am happy, and thats where I left it.

Lastly a few far away images.

Off the car

I hope ya decide to produce it Mark
Old 07-15-2014, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

umm, yeah that looks awesome .
Old 07-15-2014, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man. It would look alot better on a lower car. I still have the factory level 2 bilsteins/eibachs on mine, its not 4x4 like non level 2 cars, but still pretty high. That about to remedied though.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good work. I think molded splitter's with a shape like yours looks great on 4th gens. I'm not so fond of the flat plastic piece that 6LE sells...it just doesn't fit the contours of these cars well enough. Perhaps if I am bored on a weekend I will try something like you have done here on my TA. I have access to CNC's and water jets, so maybe I could even have something whipped up once I have a shape outlined. Again, job well done and thanks for the inspiration.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

looks sweet
Old 07-15-2014, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks awesome.... similar to the WW/Sarona lip for the TA
Old 07-15-2014, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice job! i hope these get produced, i would snag one in a heartbeat
Old 07-15-2014, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a way to flatten it out a little more? It looks to big in my opinion. Right now it looks a lot more like the wings west body kit instead of a splitter. It's not as extreme as the wings west but I feel it should be more flat. Like your photoshop..
Attached Thumbnails 98-02 Camaro splitter prototype. My digital design brought to life.-image.jpg  
Old 07-15-2014, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looks good, would love to see what this would look like an a LT1!
Old 07-15-2014, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FamousZ
Is there a way to flatten it out a little more? It looks to big in my opinion. Right now it looks a lot more like the wings west body kit instead of a splitter. It's not as extreme as the wings west but I feel it should be more flat. Like your photoshop..
Seems to be a mix of the lighting and color of the tape throwing it off a little, but it is pretty flat. If you going to integrate a splitter into this bumper design, there are issues getting "too" flat. For one, the bottom of the bumper is not level with the ground, it has an up sweep. With this design I tried to manipulate that and make the splitter level with the ground to get rid of the up swept appearance of the stock bumper. 2, the bottom of the bumper is so rounded off, simply laying a flat piece on the bottom, 6LE's splitter for instance, leaves HUGE gaps to fill.

I was trying to avoid this kind of design.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:26 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I think that to really solve the issue of how rounded the bottom of the bumper is you would have to cut the curve off the bumper and butt the splitter up against the flat section left after it's been cut. It looks good though. Would be cool to have this produced, but definitely wouldn't be cost effective judging by how much their other bumpers/splitters cost.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

looks real clean. if this went into production, think people would buy it.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I like it. At this point you might as well slap some fiberglass on it and make of a finished product for yourself.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by scj
I think that to really solve the issue of how rounded the bottom of the bumper is you would have to cut the curve off the bumper and butt the splitter up against the flat section left after it's been cut. It looks good though. Would be cool to have this produced, but definitely wouldn't be cost effective judging by how much their other bumpers/splitters cost.
I get what your saying. Cutting that off loses all the mounting points for the splash gaurds and such though. I was thinking as far as producing it, rather than make an injection mold, it may be more cost effective to use the plug to make a mold for a vacum bag and use carbon fiber. I see this tends to be a popular method with low volume stuff. Mark would need to chime in in that though. Since its obviously going to be low volume, I would imagine vacum bag forming them would be the most cost effective. Im a manager at an injection molding facility, a huge mold like this would need is BANK.

Crimson- I might do just that. I wanna nip tuck a little. The more I look at it, its still to prominent. Maybe its the blue tape throwing off perception though. Im gonna paint it black tomorrow and see if perceptions change.

Furious- awesome man, I hope ya take the plunge and try it, I think it would look amazing on a Trans Am

Thanks for the opinions everyone.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Your PS was the only splitters and canards that I thought actually looked good.

Good job at bringing it to life.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks great. i always thought these cars needed something like this. That first car tho...is sex.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4vert
Maybe its the blue tape throwing off perception though. Im gonna paint it black tomorrow and see if perceptions change.
do a grey color. that way you'll be able to see contours and the way it flows better. black will hide a lot of that.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to see how the canards you put in the PS would look with this mock up.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:03 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4vert
I get what your saying. Cutting that off loses all the mounting points for the splash gaurds and such though. I was thinking as far as producing it, rather than make an injection mold, it may be more cost effective to use the plug to make a mold for a vacum bag and use carbon fiber. I see this tends to be a popular method with low volume stuff. Mark would need to chime in in that though. Since its obviously going to be low volume, I would imagine vacum bag forming them would be the most cost effective. Im a manager at an injection molding facility, a huge mold like this would need is BANK.
If I were making it I would probably try and incorporate the factory "splash" guards into the splitter as if they were either one piece or use the existing splash guard bolt holes to make this like a factory installed piece. I'd say wrap it in some Fiberglass and get it to a finished product before anyone commits to producing it. Not that the cardboard mock up doesn't give us a good idea, but a finished painted product to showcase what the consumer would be getting would make it or break it. Either a lot of people will like it and want their own making the demand enough for mark to produce it, or the flip side.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, very nice! I agree on everything you are saying - first pic was too prominent, and second still looks a little more large than I would like, but it could be the blue tape.

For me to look at doing this, I would need a rear valence as well (I know 6LE already has them out), and I think I'd need the side skirts. For me it's kind of an "all or nothing" - looks incomplete otherwise.

Really nice fab skills though, you have some great ideas in your head and the talent to actually show them well.

Quick Reply: 98-02 Camaro splitter prototype. My digital design brought to life.