Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Red LED interior lights always on?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 04:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Red LED interior lights always on?????

Hello everyone I recently wanted to switch my interior lights over to led and after seeing a member put red leds in I was sold. So I converted my dome light and the 2 lights in my rear view mirror but noticed something odd. After I had closed my doors and allowed my lights to turn "off" I noticed they were in fact just still slightly illuminated. Has anyone else had this problem? My car has always drained the battery faster than i thought it should and I'm wondering if this was the culprit. Attached is 43mm 212-2 12-smd-3528 rigid loop (I attached 2 of them together for more dome light) from amazon after they are supposed to be off.
Attached Thumbnails Red LED interior lights always on?????-20141023_032720.jpg   Red LED interior lights always on?????-20141023_032028.jpg  
Old 10-24-2014, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

yeah something isnt right.. I have Red Led dome lights in the same location and they both go off completely when the lighting goes off..
Old 10-24-2014, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

There is enough residual power left in the circuit to slightly power an led. Its a common occurrence in alot of cars when replacing the incandescent bulbs with leds. Stick a diode between the positive an negative wires to the map lights and the problem will go away.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LT4vert
There is enough residual power left in the circuit to slightly power an led. Its a common occurrence in alot of cars when replacing the incandescent bulbs with leds. Stick a diode between the positive an negative wires to the map lights and the problem will go away.
So when you say residual power, does that mean it isn't actively draining the battery? I've had some battery issues lately (maybe 2 months ago) but the LEDs have been installed for half a year now.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dchia
So when you say residual power, does that mean it isn't actively draining the battery? I've had some battery issues lately (maybe 2 months ago) but the LEDs have been installed for half a year now.
No, its not draining the battery at all. The leds are responding to a very low amount of milliamps that is always left in the line. You never noticed it before because that small amount of mA is not enough to do anything to a incandescent bulb. LED's are really sensitive and can be very dimly lit with just a couple milliamps. The power left in the line will typically dissipate after an hour or so. Its normal and no indication of a problem.

I wrote the wrong thing above, didnt mean to write diode. Its a resistor you need to use. 1 leg to positive and one leg to negative in the bulb socket. A 1K ohm 1/4 watt resistor should work fine. The resistor mimics the load of an incandescent bulb and will get rid of the glow when the lights are turned off.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:56 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4vert
No, its not draining the battery at all. The leds are responding to a very low amount of milliamps that is always left in the line. You never noticed it before because that small amount of mA is not enough to do anything to a incandescent bulb. LED's are really sensitive and can be very dimly lit with just a couple milliamps. The power left in the line will typically dissipate after an hour or so. Its normal and no indication of a problem.

I wrote the wrong thing above, didnt mean to write diode. Its a resistor you need to use. 1 leg to positive and one leg to negative in the bulb socket. A 1K ohm 1/4 watt resistor should work fine. The resistor mimics the load of an incandescent bulb and will get rid of the glow when the lights are turned off.
This. Common thing with many cars. My DD did the same thing, added a resistor and no more glow. Been on there for a year with no problems.

Just to give you an idea

Red LED interior lights always on?????-b68bgc7.jpg
Old 10-26-2014, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happens in my 97 civic. I figured it was because of the led dome light I put in. I wouldn't worry about it
Old 10-26-2014, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

Well thank you all for the quick informative responses. Do you think just leaving them alone will cause reduced lifespan of my leds? I had a heck of a time just getting the bulbs into the mirrors, the dome light would be easy tho. If it doesn't I'd rather just leave it alone. I don't mind it now that I know nothing is wrong.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:11 AM
Teching In

its normal. i wired some custom leds up for my interior light by the hatch. they stay on very dim when theres no power. its some kind of residual voltage in the circuit. its harmless though. mine have been in there for like 5 years with no isssue.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:20 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000TransAm24
Well thank you all for the quick informative responses. Do you think just leaving them alone will cause reduced lifespan of my leds? I had a heck of a time just getting the bulbs into the mirrors, the dome light would be easy tho. If it doesn't I'd rather just leave it alone. I don't mind it now that I know nothing is wrong.
It might reduce the lifespan a little, but LEDs last for-freakin-ever anyway. I wouldn't worry about it if the glow doesn't bother you.

Quick Reply: Red LED interior lights always on?????