Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Koni STR.t/BMR Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni STR.t/BMR Review

I bought all of this back on cyber monday of 2014, Car was/is completely stock when i did the install at 100k which was back in march 2015. now im at 102k, took me awhile for me to do this because i felt like i needed the proper break in period to give an honest opinion about this setup. I uploaded two pics for before and after.

INSTALLATION: Was a pain in the *** because everything came with NO instructions but with a bit of search and logic it was no issue, my only mistake was not applying grease on some metal contact from the metal "cup" and shock thus i get some rare squeak. 7.5/10

APPEARANCE: i really loved the way it turned out, not too low but just perfect, My Y-pipe is starting to sag so i have to go over stuff at a 45 degree angle. But it gives the formula a much meaner stance and profile. 10/10

RIDE QUALiTY: i definitely felt the night and day everyone claimed. I was still kind of dissapointed about how i could still feel the road, the rough ride was calmed but not to a great extent..maybe because i need to replace the bushings etc idk. My tires are decent btw (Nittos & BF Goodrich). But the ride isn't too stiff but rather kind of "bouncy". Handling is much better and i understand now how our cars feel like a "boat". 8.5/10

Overall i think it was a great upgrade. Enjoy the pics and any requests or questions feel free to ask.
Attached Thumbnails Koni STR.t/BMR Review-fullsizerender-1-.jpg   Koni STR.t/BMR Review-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 05-05-2015, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

Nice bro I can't wait to lower mine on bmr and koni str.t. i called sam and bmr but they both are out of stock as of right now.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:53 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad to hear your success and you are liking the parts. I will make you one more suggestion to alleviate some of the bouncy and un-setteled feelings that come after lowering a car. Now that you have driven it some at the new lower stance, put the car up on ramps (or a drive on lift if available) and one at a time loosen the front and rear control arm bolts, and re-torque them. The bonded rubber bushings were originally torqued in place at the factory ride height, and are now in a preloaded position at the new ride height. Doing this will reset the bushings to the new ride height and allow smoother and more even suspension movement. Enjoy your new stance and let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-05-2015, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by balboa25
Nice bro I can't wait to lower mine on bmr and koni str.t. i called sam and bmr but they both are out of stock as of right now.
Thanks man!, try ws6store they hooked me up!

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Glad to hear your success and you are liking the parts. I will make you one more suggestion to alleviate some of the bouncy and un-setteled feelings that come after lowering a car. Now that you have driven it some at the new lower stance, put the car up on ramps (or a drive on lift if available) and one at a time loosen the front and rear control arm bolts, and re-torque them. The bonded rubber bushings were originally torqued in place at the factory ride height, and are now in a preloaded position at the new ride height. Doing this will reset the bushings to the new ride height and allow smoother and more even suspension movement. Enjoy your new stance and let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!
I see so basically for this to work the suspension components needed break in and with the load of weight this will help?, I will definetely do this asap, ill be replacing bushings soon maybe. But thanks for the input.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

I have the same BMR + STR.T setup on my '99 SS and also noticed that it is pretty bouncy as opposed to firm.

I like the bushing re-torque advice, but I feel like the shocks are to blame and that I might need Koni Yellows or Bilsteins... anyone here go from STR.t to Bilsteins or Koni yellows?
Old 05-05-2015, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

Looks good.i really need some shocks and springs
Old 05-07-2015, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

I have the yellow, double adjustable, Sports on now, with very high rate linear springs (700# Eibach 2.5" diameter fronts on a ground Control coil over conversion), and I am looking to go even MORE 'full road race' on a front set up.

IF the; Penske/Moton/Ohlins/Reiger/etc. multi-adjustable, reservoir shocks were not so $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, they would be on the car now with 850# + Hyperco springs over them!

I am going to call JRi and see if they can make something up for a handling/road racing application for 4th gens, which is at least reasonable in price.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

I too am about to order some Koni str.ts and some lowering springs.i really can't find a whole lot of info about them.i would like to know how they stack up against the bilsteins.im kind of torn between the two.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Has anyone here tried both the Koni STR.t against the Koni Yellows and bilsteins? How did they compare?
Old 05-10-2015, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea me to like more info as well
Old 05-11-2015, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

OP what were the previous shocks and springs were you on before the upgrade?
Old 05-12-2015, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I also have the same setup. After having my BRM springs laying around. I finally got theme on a few days ago. The car rides so much better and looks a lot better.Koni STR.t/BMR Review-attachment.jpg
Old 05-14-2015, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMR Lowering Springs
Koni STR.t
LCA relocation brackets
UMI single adjustable LCA's and Panhard bar

Ride is night and day from stock. Handling is crisp and the car hugs the bumps
Old 04-06-2016, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gm02ceta
OP what were the previous shocks and springs were you on before the upgrade?
From the dead, my bad i never kept up with you guys. But the car was on OEM shocks and springs. the before picture looks amazing to me to this day, i kinda miss my car in stock form because it scrapes from the front now..its been more than a year now and my only complaint is a faint squeak noise i hear when it gets hot out, maybe the metal "cup" and strut rubbing together. For what they're worth its an ok upgrade.

Last edited by BEAST_WS6M6; 04-06-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Car looks great.
How does it ride compared to stock?
Harsher but more in-control or about same as stock shocks?

I ll be putting the same set up on my convertible , really hoping I don't bottom out since it has a little more weight.

Do you slam the k member on bumpy roads or just scrape?
Old 04-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Car looks great.
How does it ride compared to stock?
Harsher but more in-control or about same as stock shocks?

I ll be putting the same set up on my convertible , really hoping I don't bottom out since it has a little more weight.

Do you slam the k member on bumpy roads or just scrape?
Compared to stock, it rides way better. The absorption of the shock when hitting a bump is firm and quick at high speed, as far as city driving, it does the job. Not harsh at all. No slamming of the K, just scrape in the front..i mean its only driveways etc. where you have to go maneuver at an angle, it gets annoying but whatever, for what its worth its good. I still have to upgrade plenty of suspension but soon..
Old 04-09-2016, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Probably not even hitting the k member. You're more likely to scrape the front air dam, maybe the bumper depending on what you're driving into/over.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man that sucks I was really wanting to get this set up but what I hearing from u guys with this setup I'll just stay stock
Old 04-10-2016, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

The front air dam/radiator deflector thing is NO big deal, can take A LOT of abuse, and is only about $55.00 to replace IF fully destroyed/scraped to nothing.
The only other things to worry about are VERY high, sharp peaked, speed bumps, and the cement parking curb stones used in some spaces.

I would be much more concerned about destroying the co$tly; stainless long tubes, and huge stainless, low hanging y pipes (or x/h pipes) that everyone and their great grand aunt have on here, yes, EVEN IF still at stock '4x4' ride height.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have more pics of your formula?

Quick Reply: Koni STR.t/BMR Review