Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sunoco Wide Body... The time has come. Who's ready to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 05:15 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Sunoco Wide Body... The time has come. Who's ready to buy?

SO, since we started this business 6 years ago, "everyone" wants to buy a "Sunoco Wide Body Kit".

There's been crappy "wide body kits" since then, some completely fake (just took people's money) others you wish they were fake by the time you got the crappy pieces that didn't even have the Sunoco contours at all...

Well, that's all about to change!

We've spent honestly six years looking into this, doing one wide body car off of the crappy kit (McNord's car) and also just studying wide bodies and how to make the BEST product that's the easiest to install (our rear quarters kill us since they're welded on).

After completing our first ALL ORIGINAL WIDE BODY KIT for our Silverado for SEMA this year (it's our version of the answer to the Raptor, no pics until after SEMA) we've learned a lot from the friend who built it for us... who just so happens to work at 5 Axis, so he knows his stuff

Here's what the finished product would entail:

1) Front Fenders- COMPLETE replacements. We're scanning a stock car then paying a CAD designer to recreate the Sunoco, 3D printing the parts, making a glass part out of that to turn into a plug and making molds so that you will have completely symmetrical "Sunoco" wide body front fenders.

2) Rear Fenders- The design process will be the same HOWEVER, here's how the finished part will come to you...

It will be an OUTSIDE SKIN of the bulging area. The INSIDE will not just be hollow, leaving you with $2k worth of body work to get it right, it will be CAD designed on the inside as well so it FORM FITS to your quarters.

All you have to do is use the same glue sticks GM uses on the Vette panels to glue it on, then blend in. It will stop at the bulge (instead of going into the tail lights like the crappy kits) so all of your OEM lines STAY OEM (just like the Sunoco) you just have to feather and blend edges.

You will have NONE of the work involved in the crappy kits and pretty much ANY body shop can put it on for you.

It will be identical to the Sunoco except STRONGER. This is the HIGH END PROFESSIONAL method used to make wide body fenders THAT LAST and don't easily crack.

When you're done, you can knock on the fiberglass AND IT WILL SOUND LIKE METAL. This process makes it as strong as it can possibly be, easy to install and NO DOWN SIDES, it's win/win.

It's still a wide body fender, you still can (need to) fit a wider tire and rim, it's just starting with a MUCH HIGHER QUALITY FINISHED ON BOTH SIDES PART you're going to spend 1/4 what you would in body work with any traditional type of wide body piece.
Here's what it would look like for those that don't know...

If you want it, you can now have it.

There's three options (ALL ASSUMING WE HAVE 10 PRE-SOLD ORDERS SO WE CAN GET THIS PRICING, after the pre-sales prices will go up at least $500, it's just how all the private label fiberglass manufacturing companies work, USA, Mexico AND China):

1) Made cheap in CHINA. It will take 6 - 8 months to get. It will also require a little more work to get right because even though our work in the plugs will be as perfect as possible, their methods overseas leave work to be desired, basically you'll be doing a lot of blocking for waviness since it is DURAFLEX (chopped glass sprayed in). $2000.

2) Made decent in MEXICO. It will only take 1-2 months to ship. Their glass is a little dry sometimes BUT it's real HAND LAID fiberglass. MUCH stronger product and MUCH less work. Still some blocking but not near as much as China. $2500.

3) Made in the USA. Still will take 1-2 months (just depends how busy RK Sport is as that's who would be private labeling it). However the front fenders you will just BOLT ON AND PAINT. The rear quarters you just glue on, blend in AND PAINT. This will honestly save you $1000 in body work (or more) over the first option (to get show car quality) or $500 over the second option. $3000.
Either option you choose you're looking at spending $4000 total ($5000 if you have a more expensive shop) to get the parts (not including shipping as we have no way to determine that yet) get them installed and painted.

Also, SO YOU KNOW, even OPTION 1 (cheap China) will give you a BETTER FINISHED PRODUCT than the "other wide body cars" you've seen out there. You're getting replacement parts as opposed to cars like the Sunoco that were HAND BUILT (aka: lots of bondo).

Basically, any of these options give you RELIABLE body panels ESPECIALLY due to our method of molding the INNER SKINS as well.

Remember, it sounds expensive but you're getting FOUR LARGE PIECES with INNER and OUTER structures. In other words, it's similar to buying four hoods (smaller but also more complicated).

All that being said, WOULD ANYONE ACTUALLY BE READY TO BUY THESE? If so, which option?

I'll put a poll up for general input but please if you're someone who would be interested in purchasing these, say by the end of August, PLEASE REPLY IN THIS THREAD or shoot me an e-mail at mark@6LEDesigns.com so I can keep you on a list.

If we have enough interest we'll start the process then put up the pre-order ordering page.

Alright, I think that covers it, we already offer the front bumper and spoiler, if you want to recreate that car, here's your chance... Any takers or all talkers?
Old 07-18-2015, 05:17 AM
Banned

I forgot the poll lol... Just post which option and if you'd be part of the pre-order by August.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Is RKsport who you had making the Super Car bumpers? If that's the case I would like to wait and see how that bumper fits when I finally get it to make a decision in who to make the wide body. I am extremely interested in these but my job doesn't start until August so I won't be able to throw in until November or December but I want to be the first one to have them, so a private loan to "build credit" may be in order haha.

And would the fiberglass super car bumper be able to stretch to meet the new front fenders?

Also how will the kit form into the wheel well area. I ask mainly for us lowered guys who have rolled fenders. If we want our rear wheels to sit further out, either with adapters or buying larger wheels. I'm just trying to imagine what you guys were thinking for that. I am imagining something like this where the stock QP is grinded or cut away a inch or two higher and the inner skin ends there where the two meet and the outer skin protruded further outwards and lower.

This is a cross sectional view of the highest part of the wheel well.

Dunno if this will work with the cutting of the QP because I think I have heard that the QP is multipiece with strategic welds, or us lowered guys should not be so lowered lol.

Last edited by jaxcam02; 07-18-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

As hard as it is to get people to get in line for a hood a complete bodykit will probably be a nightmare. I hope it does become a reality and would like to see them on the street. Im still waiting on the 93-97 Supercar bumper to get here and I truly hope its quality. So good luck with the new project***
Old 07-19-2015, 02:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
Is RKsport who you had making the Super Car bumpers? If that's the case I would like to wait and see how that bumper fits when I finally get it to make a decision in who to make the wide body. I am extremely interested in these but my job doesn't start until August so I won't be able to throw in until November or December but I want to be the first one to have them, so a private loan to "build credit" may be in order haha.

And would the fiberglass super car bumper be able to stretch to meet the new front fenders?

Also how will the kit form into the wheel well area. I ask mainly for us lowered guys who have rolled fenders. If we want our rear wheels to sit further out, either with adapters or buying larger wheels. I'm just trying to imagine what you guys were thinking for that. I am imagining something like this where the stock QP is grinded or cut away a inch or two higher and the inner skin ends there where the two meet and the outer skin protruded further outwards and lower.

This is a cross sectional view of the highest part of the wheel well.

Dunno if this will work with the cutting of the QP because I think I have heard that the QP is multipiece with strategic welds, or us lowered guys should not be so lowered lol.

Depends on what you want to do. You can hack up the metal quarter, just trim off the inner piece, or leave as is (it may rub but it will rub FG instead of metal so it won't cut the tire the first round, see where it's hitting and adjust or cut )...
Old 07-19-2015, 02:24 AM
Banned

Oh, sorry, YES the bumper will stretch to it, just take a look at McNord's car and you'll see it in action
Old 07-19-2015, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I say do the RKsport version and I'll do my best to get the cash asap

Also is the kit going to have the flattened edge running around the wheel well. I would prefer it to not exist and just have the edges just like stock without the little contour the sunoco car has just because none of the stock and aftermarket bumpers have it and it would look weird if the fenders and QP had them and neither the front or rear bumper did. The flat contoured area I am talking about is outlined it the pic below.

Last edited by jaxcam02; 07-19-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Sprint Cup exhaust outlet would be cool as well, but probably not street legal in many states.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:16 PM
Banned

Well I say do the RKsport version and I'll do my best to get the cash asap

Also is the kit going to have the flattened edge running around the wheel well. I would prefer it to not exist and just have the edges just like stock without the little contour the sunoco car has just because none of the stock and aftermarket bumpers have it and it would look weird if the fenders and QP had them and neither the front or rear bumper did. The flat contoured area I am talking about is outlined it the pic below.

We'll make it however the paying guys want it lol, so going of your history, however YOU want it lol!

My thoughts were to simply include a piece you add to the bumpers to continue the line (since you'll have to paint blend them anyways)...
Old 07-19-2015, 09:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dailydriver
That Sprint Cup exhaust outlet would be cool as well, but probably not street legal in many states.
I love it as well. Did it on my Grand National...
Old 07-19-2015, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
We'll make it however the paying guys want it lol, so going of your history, however YOU want it lol!

My thoughts were to simply include a piece you add to the bumpers to continue the line (since you'll have to paint blend them anyways)...
Lol, well I think it should just be as simple as can be. Just have it match with stock bumper lines. The less body work the better.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:13 PM
Banned

Lol, well I think it should just be as simple as can be. Just have it match with stock bumper lines. The less body work the better.
Are you sure? I thought it added a little modernization. You're already widebodying the car lol, what's a little more glue and feathering lol?
Old 07-19-2015, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you sure? I thought it added a little modernization. You're already widebodying the car lol, what's a little more glue and feathering lol?
I'll let someone else chime in, but if its me I don't really care either way I just wanted to know how it was going to blend, if you provide a small piece to get it to work right I'm down. I'm just more interested in the wide body itself.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

This is awesome!
Old 07-20-2015, 12:04 AM
Banned

I'll let someone else chime in, but if its me I don't really care either way I just wanted to know how it was going to blend, if you provide a small piece to get it to work right I'm down. I'm just more interested in the wide body itself.
I wish you were closer. We'd just build it on yours and if no bites on making molds send you on your merry way lol...
Old 07-20-2015, 05:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wish you were closer. We'd just build it on yours and if no bites on making molds send you on your merry way lol...
Yea I don't think I could possibly be any further away from y'all. That would be so tight. How about this, if I win the lottery I'll pay for the whole project and come live there for a year. But life isn't that kind. Ha

Last edited by jaxcam02; 07-20-2015 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cant seriously be the only dude interested in this. lol
Old 07-21-2015, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For those of us with the lt1 front end, will the rears be available for purchase on their own?
Old 07-22-2015, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark this is awesome. I want it to put in the basement to eventually build a DH replica car. Hell, I already have the Profil 13s.

I, like most people on this site have a tough time to justify that much money on body work. If I were to go with it, it would be the cheapest overall option.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBadWhitey
For those of us with the lt1 front end, will the rears be available for purchase on their own?
That wouldn't be a problem...

Quick Reply: Sunoco Wide Body... The time has come. Who's ready to buy?