Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Which HID lamps (brand) fit fogs on a 98-02 Camaros?

Old 02-15-2016, 10:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which HID lamps (brand) fit fogs on a 98-02 Camaros?

This may be odd coming from us but we had a customer purchase a complete fog light Morimoto (TRS) HID kit for their Camaro. The HID lamps are the usual 880 base style but unfortunately it seems these are a bit too long to seat properly into the housing. TRS tells me their lamp length has not changed in 5 years so we are scratching our a heads a bit on this one since we have sold these in the past without issue.

I did some digging and see some lamps are fitting but don't see a reference to the brand. I also noticed some folks remove the 4 screws and get the lamp to fit. I am looking to provide some options to this customer so any insight from folks who have done the retro would be very helpful.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:07 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

What do you mean too long? Was the capsule was too long and hit the shield? Some people reported that in the past with different brands.

Re-based HID kit bulbs are a crap shoot with no real standards so there is variance among brands which can lead to different fitments and worse, different beam patterns.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Capsule hits the top of the housing. Camaro fogs use an odd right angle design and the lamp is long by maybe 1/8". I read through the various posts, some fit, some don't but was looking to provide a solution for those that wish to purchase a drop-in kit. Until we know for sure what works, we will likely forego offering 98-02 Camaro fog light kits. For the one customer with the issue, he has decided to purchase a set of C5 fogs and keep the kit.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Basically you have to bend the bulb. It will contact the inner housing. They work once you put them in there but light output is still pathetic. You still can't tell when they are on or off unless you look at your reflection from the car in front of you
Old 02-16-2016, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I stuck some Xentec HID bulbs into my fogs last year and they have been fine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which HID lamps (brand) fit fogs on a 98-02 Camaros?