Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Whats everyone using for LEDs in the gauge cluster these days?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 04:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Whats everyone using for LEDs in the gauge cluster these days?

All the old threads I bookmarked linked LED bulbs that are all discontinued. Has anyone bought LEDs recently that can steer me in the right direction? Planning on changing up the dash shortly and this is the missing piece.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In for answers too...
Old 02-29-2016, 01:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I buy all my LED's from Diode Dynamics. I am using their HP3's in my 99 Grand Prix's dash. They are great LED's.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:40 AM
TECH Junkie

^Would HP3's work for us?
Old 02-29-2016, 12:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

superbrightleds.com
Old 02-29-2016, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mac62989
^Would HP3's work for us?
Yeah they should. They come in 194's that will fit.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're looking for the whitest LED, make sure the bulbs have 5630 LEDs, also known as Samsung LEDs.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
If you're looking for the whitest LED, make sure the bulbs have 5630 LEDs, also known as Samsung LEDs.
Doesn't matter how white they are, the gauges will still light up red. As long as he doesn't try putting a different color behind them like blue or something.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stealth355tpi
Doesn't matter how white they are, the gauges will still light up red. As long as he doesn't try putting a different color behind them like blue or something.
He didn't say he was running stock gauges, he could be running 6LE gauges so he can make them any color he wants....hence the recommendation for pure white LEDs.

OP, any color you go with I'd recommend 5630 type of LEDs. They should be the best all around bulb.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
Agreed. They make the 5630 LED in all the standard colors including white.

Originally Posted by stealth355tpi
True, but you can scrape off the red tint as well as the blue-ish tint on the Camaro. It's a lot of work and I didn't take any pictures during the process when I did mine. I've seen a few pics floating around during some searches though. It's relatively straight forward as scary as it seems. Everything is printed on the front except for the colored tint. As for the HVAC and headlight overlay, you're screwed. Everything is printed on the back and impossible to remove just the color.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Ya plan on getting 6LE gauges shortly so I wanted to do the bulbs as well. Only problem was all the old threads I saved, all the bulbs listed were discontinued on superbrightleds. Hotwhip helped me out and I'm looking on fleabay for what I want as we speak.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya plan on getting 6LE gauges shortly so I wanted to do the bulbs as well. Only problem was all the old threads I saved, all the bulbs listed were discontinued on superbrightleds. Hotwhip helped me out and I'm looking on fleabay for what I want as we speak.
I have 6LE gauges that'll go in this weekend and what I personally plan to put in, white of course.

Name:  619573685_o_zps8b5a1092.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  250.8 KB
Old 03-02-2016, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

I wonder if 6LE is making the gauges any different than way back then. I have them on my nice car along with their blue gauge needles. While it looks good in the daylight sitting still, I hated everything else. I've tried fixing as much problems as I could.

Where should I start?

5630 LEDs are pretty recent so that might make a good difference. I tried using the LEDs that were recommended back then and no matter what I'd have hot spots that bugged the hell out of me. As for white LEDs, they always appeared yellowish even though they were cool white. I'm now thinking that may have to do with the yellowish colored plastic the light is reflecting off of.

Good luck trying to see any of the warning lights. I ended up cutting up the 6LE gauges and using the stock pieces for that. The cuts are hidden behind the TA cluster. Before that, I went and replaced the yellow and red LED's for much brighter cool white LEDs. That only made the 6LE overlay for the warning stuff look purple and still barely visible.

How about them needles? Since they aren't weighted like the OEM ones, they bounce around like crazy even on slight bumps. Oh and since they aren't made from right plastic, nor have the right cuts for light refraction, they barely light up no matter the LED color. I installed a SMD LED underneath both big needles and it did help, but wasn't good enough for me. I ended up modifying a set of blue needles made for a GM truck. They are shorter, but at least they are designed properly not to bounce and made of the right plastic so they actually light up.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Thats discouraging. I was planning on getting some needles to go with overlay
Old 03-02-2016, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Thats discouraging. I was planning on getting some needles to go with overlay
Yea, you may want to look at my old thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...l#post16271348

This is how I ended up fixing my hot spot issue and needles. I plan on making a better write up one day

PVC rope light LEDs. Don't mind the LEDs in the stock location. I took them out in place of 5630 chip LEDs, not pictured.

SMD LED behind the needles, although these new needles probably don't need it.

New modified needles...

You'll have to take my word that it looks much better in person. It's too bright to take a proper picture.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:54 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
I wonder if 6LE is making the gauges any different than way back then. I have them on my nice car along with their blue gauge needles. While it looks good in the daylight sitting still, I hated everything else. I've tried fixing as much problems as I could.

Where should I start?

5630 LEDs are pretty recent so that might make a good difference. I tried using the LEDs that were recommended back then and no matter what I'd have hot spots that bugged the hell out of me. As for white LEDs, they always appeared yellowish even though they were cool white. I'm now thinking that may have to do with the yellowish colored plastic the light is reflecting off of.

Good luck trying to see any of the warning lights. I ended up cutting up the 6LE gauges and using the stock pieces for that. The cuts are hidden behind the TA cluster. Before that, I went and replaced the yellow and red LED's for much brighter cool white LEDs. That only made the 6LE overlay for the warning stuff look purple and still barely visible.

How about them needles? Since they aren't weighted like the OEM ones, they bounce around like crazy even on slight bumps. Oh and since they aren't made from right plastic, nor have the right cuts for light refraction, they barely light up no matter the LED color. I installed a SMD LED underneath both big needles and it did help, but wasn't good enough for me. I ended up modifying a set of blue needles made for a GM truck. They are shorter, but at least they are designed properly not to bounce and made of the right plastic so they actually light up.

Fortunately those issues we got rid of 2 revisions ago...
Old 03-03-2016, 03:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 6LE gauges and needles...zero issues. Simple install and looks great!
Old 03-03-2016, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Fortunately those issues we got rid of 2 revisions ago...
What about the needles? Can you help me out?
Old 03-05-2016, 04:01 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^Needles we have no source for any parts anymore unfortunately, that's why they are off the site...
Old 03-05-2016, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Damn that blows

Quick Reply: Whats everyone using for LEDs in the gauge cluster these days?