Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Morimoto MH1 7.0 Retrofit - '00 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Morimoto MH1 7.0 Retrofit - '00 Camaro

Last weekend I Whistler modded my headlamp housings and installed my Morimoto Mini H1 7.0's with 5500K bulbs. I was going to retrofit G37's, but these are a little more plug and play! They literally just screw into the 9006 bulb hole. Just pry the holder out and you're set.

I did the high/low beam mod and also use my stock halogen highs, so it's quad high beams when the shields drop.

Other lighting mods include LED's all around, including front switchbacks, brake/tail lights, rear turn signals, marker lights. Fogs are stock Blazer's with 50w bulbs and the lens sprayed with amber glass paint. I basically just use them as DRL's. I also have yellow halogen high beams, mostly because they looked cool. Good attention grabbers though.

For those interested, I'm using the Keep It Clean FF552NLF no load flasher and it works well with full LED turn signals. My hazard lights work perfectly with my stock hazard flasher.

Lowbeam + fogs

MH1 highs + halogen highs

Last edited by Neko; 05-10-2016 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

And before anyone says it, just pretend my calipers are the same colour.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Great job! The headlights came out great! Did you have to do any cutting?
Old 05-11-2016, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by badtzmarui
Great job! The headlights came out great! Did you have to do any cutting?
Thanks! And nope, no cutting at all except removing the original 9006 bulb holder and shield with a pair of pliers. The locking nut that screws on the projector is just small enough to seat perfectly in the back of the headlight. Ideally you'd want to Dremel out the surrounding plastic to make it easier to screw on, but I was able to tighten it down on a rubber grommet no problem.

One thing I still have to do is get a cover to go over the back of the bulb where it enters the projector. It's exposed, so you do run the risk of water getting in there and causing moisture or bursting the capsule. TRS sells them.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

I'll also add that I did shim my bulbs to fix/optimize the hotspot, which is common with these Morimotos. Not a big deal, and you can find more info on it on HID Planet.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that is some good light output!
Old 05-11-2016, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
Now that is some good light output!
Literally night and day over stock. I get more distance out of them than the pictures really show. There is also minimal glare since I'm using projectors, so it stays out of other drivers faces and stays on the road.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nicely done!
Old 05-14-2016, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Kind of surprising that you had to shim the Morimoto bulbs. I could see having to with some generic cheap bulbs like DDM junk, but you'd think Morimoto projectors + Morimoto bulbs would not have this problem.

Wonder how mine will look on my Silverado when I get them done.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Kind of surprising that you had to shim the Morimoto bulbs. I could see having to with some generic cheap bulbs like DDM junk, but you'd think Morimoto projectors + Morimoto bulbs would not have this problem.

Wonder how mine will look on my Silverado when I get them done.
It's pretty common on MH1's, but it's more of a nitpicking thing. I just wanted to get the hotspot aligned properly with the cutoff to maximise distance. But I agree, id expect perfection by 7.0 lol. But even my G37's with OEM Philips D2S bulbs put the hotspot behind the shield on one of the projectors. The few 7.0 threads on HIDPlanet I believe had guys shimming them as well.

After running with 5500K for a week, I might go with 4500ish or whatever TRS is offering at the moment. I find it really hard on the eyes, honestly.

Overall the 7.0's are nice though, so I think you'll be happy. The output is wide and they have a nice high beam. Distance is far better than my cell phone pictures show, especially since the road dips. I've aimed them up a bit since and they are fantastic. Nice colour flicker too, even in stock form, if you're into that.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
Nicely done!
Danke!

Quick Reply: Morimoto MH1 7.0 Retrofit - '00 Camaro