Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sound deadening

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Sound deadening

I'm wanting to make my camaro quieter inside(road/exhaust noise/raido). I'm thinking about Dynamat or some thing like it. I've seen spray in **** but dont really don't know anything about it. I don't want to do any strange **** like I see on U tube. I would like to hear from ya'll about your experiences and any tips that might be useful
Old 02-24-2017, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

No one....I ordered Dynamat it should be here tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've used both Dynamat and Xmat from Eastwood. Both are good products. There are a few other thread on here that might be a good read for you.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dynomat alone won't do a whole lot. Dynomat is just a sound dampener meant to quell panel vibrations and resonance in the cabin. You'll get the best results using a sound dampener along with a closed cell foam (CCF) and mass loaded vinyl (MLV). The typical plan of attack is to cover about 25% of the cabin surfaces with a sound dampener and then cover 100% with closed cell foam (as a decoupler) and mlv (the actual sound barrier/absorber).
The following users liked this post:
ws6outlaw (07-11-2023)
Old 02-24-2017, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dynamat also makes a product called Dynapad. It's basically what Rebel just described.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I am using dynamat xtreme
Old 02-25-2017, 09:55 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
No one....I ordered Dynamat it should be here tomorrow.
There are plenty of threads on sound deadening. A quick search will find them.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a product called Fat Mat and you can find it on Amazon. It is a lot less expensive than Dynamat, and in my opinion, it is just as good as Dynamat. Now, asking someone the "best" sound deadening is the same as asking the best cam or exhaust system; you are going to get a bunch of different answers. I probably put over 225 sq feet of Fat Mat in my car, basically putting it on all exposed metal in my car: floor, sides, roof, hatch, doors, etc. Now, I did run out of Fat Mat and I put Dynamat on the interior door skins while I put Fat Mat on the interior of the door on the exterior door skin.

In order to do it right, you need to gut the whole interior. Not only that, when I put in my carpeting, I put down extra insulation and my carpeting has "mass backing". That is a rubberized coating on the back of the carpet. Got the carpeting from stockinteriors. Now, adding all this sound deadening will add weight, but I wanted a quiet interior.

You can see my Fat Mat install in my thread for my Redline Goods Interior thread, post 21.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/1815257-my-redline-goods-interior.html

There are a lot of threads discussing this, so look through them and see what matches your needs.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02
Dynomat alone won't do a whole lot. Dynomat is just a sound dampener meant to quell panel vibrations and resonance in the cabin. You'll get the best results using a sound dampener along with a closed cell foam (CCF) and mass loaded vinyl (MLV). The typical plan of attack is to cover about 25% of the cabin surfaces with a sound dampener and then cover 100% with closed cell foam (as a decoupler) and mlv (the actual sound barrier/absorber).
this is perfectly accurate. I did have some luck tho coating the entire hatch and doors, both the meat and plastic pieces with cutting exhaust drone, and speaker rattles.

Quick Reply: Sound deadening