Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How I dry my car without touching it...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How I dry my car without touching it...

A bunch of you guys probably already do this.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spend the money and buy a tool actually meant to dry a car. Metro master blaster, or even the much cheaper sidekick does a fine job.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

A leaf blower works ok. It's not really ideal. You're limited in the control of their air and can't really use it inside the engine bay or cabin (blowers work great at blasting out debris from under seats and other places you can't reach well with a vacuum).

A leaf blower really only makes sense if you're using one that you already have on hand but then you run into the problem of blowing dirt and crap onto your car if you've used the leaf blower for yard work prior. You could dedicate a leaf blower for drying the car. Though, at that point you might as well have bought a dedicated car drying blower and get all the benefits they have over the leaf blowers.

Should you ever actually return, here is some detailed info on a few of the popular options (including the Metro blowers mentioned above): https://www.theartofcleanliness.com/...-drying-a-car/
Old 07-17-2017, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I use a leaf blower on mine as well. Between the Cquartz coating and Carpro Reload the water easily blows away. Just always make sure the ground around the car is wet.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

as an experiment - when I washed my car this past weekend- i just used my air compressor with a blow nozzle on it.

worked great
Old 07-17-2017, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

^^^^^This is how I dry my car. I still need to use towels, but it helps A LOT by getting water out of the million crevices my car has. I just have a stack of small, religiously clean towels at hand. Takes a while but I like it.

I would never use my leaf blower to dry a car. Your blowing all sorts of fine debris into it.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
I would never use my leaf blower to dry a car. Your blowing all sorts of fine debris into it.
Unless said leaf blower is just used to dry the car. I dont use my electric blower for anything else.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are plenty of drying towels out there that if used correctly won't cause any damage to your paint.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bleepster
as an experiment - when I washed my car this past weekend- i just used my air compressor with a blow nozzle on it.

worked great
This is a good option as well. For anyone using an oil filled compressor I'd recommend using an inline coalescing filter. You would be surprised how much oil and water can make its way down the line and get misted out the nozzle.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02
This is a good option as well. For anyone using an oil filled compressor I'd recommend using an inline coalescing filter. You would be surprised how much oil and water can make its way down the line and get misted out the nozzle.
This. And even with a filter some oils still get through.
I have a sidekick and I cant imagine drying my whole truck with it. Itll take a whole lot longer than just using towels. Its great for the rims and all the trim and hard to reach areas like the grill and so forth.
A master blaster is way too expensive for me to justify. You can get a 40 dollar toro electric leaf blower thatll work just fine. Its kinda small so its not difficult to control. Plus usually the ground is still wet when youre drying so its not likely to blow any dirt into the car if you use it properly.

I simply use the sidekick to blow out all the hard to reach areas and water excess, and then run a microfiber towel to cry it completely.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been planning on picking up a small but powerful cordless leaf blower strictly for drying my cars.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

I'm over here like: "I wash it, then just hop in, crank up some tunes and go for a scenic drive."
Old 07-22-2017, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

I think we all agree, leaf blowers are great to get the water off your car. But to the OP, if you care so much about your cars finish, you really should consider drywalling your ceiling in your garage. Think about all those insulation fibers that fall on the car before you wipe it down
Old 07-24-2017, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by silverformula
I think we all agree, leaf blowers are great to get the water off your car. But to the OP, if you care so much about your cars finish, you really should consider drywalling your ceiling in your garage. Think about all those insulation fibers that fall on the car before you wipe it down
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, just saw that.

And no, we do not all agree. I think it's a bad idea. A mini one for crevices is fine.

Did the OP sign up just to show us that video three years later???
Old 07-26-2017, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I try my car by driving it grab a fresh 6 pack from the store. Beads roll off and of the most part. Have to touch up a spot or two of dried on water, but hey, I have new beer!
Old 08-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Doing that while you drive as well. Can't be THAT paranoid
Old 08-09-2017, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tipnitty
I try my car by driving it grab a fresh 6 pack from the store. Beads roll off and of the most part. Have to touch up a spot or two of dried on water, but hey, I have new beer!
A fellow proper drying enthusiast!

Quick Reply: How I dry my car without touching it...