Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another LED Turn signal thread (Yes Searched)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another LED Turn signal thread (Yes Searched)

So I set about replacing all my rear turn signal bulbs with LEDs. I have sequentials and I know all have to dig up some info on the best flasher to use. But I just wanted to see how they looked through the lenses. I bought the equivalent 2057 LEDs installed them and boy... They're dim!!! I have heard that I need to go with red bulbs for the red lenses but I went with white instead because the current 2057 bulbs are clear. Anyone else have this issue and a remedy for it? Or should I return these for the Reds
Old 10-14-2017, 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not all LED bulbs are create equal. Many of these LED's being sold as "ultra bright" blah blah blah are just cheap chinese crap. For the turn signal and brake lights, the main issue with these cheaper LED's is that there is virtually no discernible difference between the lower wattage light output for the tails and higher wattage light output for the brake and turn lights. From a distance, people can really struggle to tell you're turning or braking. Id imagine that the issue with yours are simply that the bulbs aren't very good.

Red or white, shouldn't really matter if they're bright enough to do the job. I have fitted both white and red LED's into my honeycombs and apart from colour of the emitted light through the lens, theres no real brightness difference.

Osram, Philips, JDM-Astar are my favourite LED's to use. Some of the JDM bulbs are so damn bright, they could be used as headlights.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:07 AM
Launching!

They're Sylvania LEDs I've heard nothing but good things with them... I'll have to keep looking around for a good LED Bulb

Last edited by Ruken; 10-14-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that is quite odd then because Sylvania are not usually bad!

got any videos of how dim they are in the lights?
Old 10-14-2017, 05:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheNutDriver
that is quite odd then because Sylvania are not usually bad!

got any videos of how dim they are in the lights?

I'm in Ohio right now, I'll be home in Indy tomarrow...ill post a comparison video for you
Old 10-14-2017, 07:53 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Think of a colored lens as a filter/blocker.

With that in mind, get an LED that matches the color of the lens. More of its light will shine through than being blocked. Colored LEDs emit narrow wavelength (White LEDs are "full spectrum", but still not as much as an incandescent bulb). So not matching the LED Color to the Lens Color wastes light (it won't look as bright through the lens).

I have Philips Red 3157 in my Firebird Taillights and they are about as bright as standard incandescent 3157 and fill the housing decently.

In the front turn signals, I have Amber from a different brand that I don't remember and they are brighter than standard incandescent bulbs.

These are the Philips I have (you can get them at Pepboys and Amazon for around $20/pair).

Here is a quick video to show what is looks like having the inner ones standard incandescent and the outer ones LED:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H1Y...ature=youtu.be

There are brighter ones out there too. Just be sure to read reviews and see if there are any real (not fake) ratings and maybe videos to show the difference between bright and dim modes in the case of dual filament bulbs (some have too small a difference to be useful).

I have these in my amber front side makers:
Amazon Amazon

I have these in my red rear side markers:
Amazon Amazon

My brother has these in the amber turn signals on his WRX:
(these are the wrong size for an f-body, but there is a 3157 version too)
Amazon Amazon

Pics are from Amazon, the video is mine.

Last edited by VIP1; 10-14-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

One of the factors I use in replacing incandescent bulbs with LED's is the number of lumens the bulb puts out. The higher the number of lumens, the brighter the bulb.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Couldn't get a video today guys, the weather was nasty when I got home. Ill try to get one up soon
Old 10-15-2017, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

CREE white LED's that a lot of companies use,, Don't have much in the red spectrum, they are heavy in the blue spectrum so they don't shine through a red filter very well, one easy way to see it is use a digital camera that has a editing tool for color, when you first open the pic it shows what frequencies are there.. Red is noticeably missing from the White cree led.. Or if you have photo software and the vendor provides a pic, download it and open it up in the editor. Color saturation is usually a tune-able option.. And you can see what their pic has of the bulb, not exact but unless they tampered with the pic, you'll kind of get a feel for is it a 6500K or a 4500K light source.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:36 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

High brightness White LEDs are typically Blue LEDs with a Phosphor coating that glows white. The phosphor will look like a yellow blob or coating when it is not lit.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:44 PM
Launching!

So I picked up the Zevo Bright Reds and it cured the lighting issue. No onto another issue. While the hazards are on the lights work perfect with sequentials functioning in time and perfect. Turn either turn indicator on and they will not function. Tried swapping out to a EL12 Flasher and I have the same result. Anyone find a two prong flasher model that works. I really don't have much free time. So I don't have time to make an adjustable flasher
Old 10-17-2017, 06:36 AM
Launching!

I think I found a no load two prong flasher. Grote 44891
Old 10-17-2017, 02:39 PM
Launching!

so the flasher I bought works, but the last two lights in the sequential sequence are almost coming on at the same time. I'm thinking going to have to make this flasher adjustable in order to get the sequence Im looking for

Last edited by Ruken; 10-17-2017 at 05:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Another LED Turn signal thread (Yes Searched)