LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Appearance & Detailing (https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing-18/)
-   -   Low seat brackets - fourth gen (https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/1889656-low-seat-brackets-fourth-gen.html)

PhoneniX 01-15-2018 04:07 PM

Low seat brackets - fourth gen

I cant believe there is no write up comparing aftermarket seat brackets...
These cars have been around for 20 years. Surely there must be an aftermarket low bracket for the tall owner.

Anyway I have a 2000 T/A and the stock seats are shot after 100k (seams ripped out, bolsters flat and airbladders deflate). Now I do have aftermarket generic racing seats in storage. And after making my own custom bracket out of 1" square steel stock I am unhappy with sitting so high, even being under six foot tall. I am looking to buy a professional set. Something that sits low for the driver, and just as importantly slides the passenger about 4 inches back (my passengers always check if the damn seat is all the way back).

I saw a write-up by a tech member who made custom flat steel stock brackets, in which he complained that it flexed and needed gusseting.

And I've seen write-ups on Planted and Wedge brands. Both are said to require modification to push the seat back.
Can we get a sticky worth comparison of aftermarket racing seat brackets? Direct comparable data on height and distance pushed rearward? As vendors do not give this info.

silversrtman 02-09-2018 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by PhoneniX (Post 19811417)
I cant believe there is no write up comparing aftermarket seat brackets...
These cars have been around for 20 years. Surely there must be an aftermarket low bracket for the tall owner.

Anyway I have a 2000 T/A and the stock seats are shot after 100k (seams ripped out, bolsters flat and airbladders deflate). Now I do have aftermarket generic racing seats in storage. And after making my own custom bracket out of 1" square steel stock I am unhappy with sitting so high, even being under six foot tall. I am looking to buy a professional set. Something that sits low for the driver, and just as importantly slides the passenger about 4 inches back (my passengers always check if the damn seat is all the way back).

I saw a write-up by a tech member who made custom flat steel stock brackets, in which he complained that it flexed and needed gusseting.

And I've seen write-ups on Planted and Wedge brands. Both are said to require modification to push the seat back.
Can we get a sticky worth comparison of aftermarket racing seat brackets? Direct comparable data on height and distance pushed rearward? As vendors do not give this info.

i was the one who made that thread with the flat stock brackets. Funny, until I read your post I 100% forgot that I made that write up lol

eb110americana 02-09-2018 08:53 PM

I have Planted brackets and Cipher seats in my car. I had to custom drill holes in the brackets, as using the universal ones put the seats 1 inch too far outboard each. These seats don't have a ton of travel fore/aft, but I don't see why anything should stop them from sliding all the way into the rear seats if the tracks were long enough.

My issue with the brackets were the angle was not steep enough. I added coupling nuts to raise the front of the seat about an inch higher. The rear of the seat could be lower too. Due to the height of my headrests and the rear of the bracket, the first time I flipped the seats forward I whacked the sun visor and broke it. I learned to live with the height--I'm 5'9"--but I could see a taller person needing to lower the back of the bracket.

Considering all of the modifications, I feel that for a sheet of steel with 4 tabs welded on, they are way overpriced. At least they are solid though. I don't worry about what will happen to them in a crash. I can't speak to any other brand of bracket though, or how they match to another aftermarket seat.

JoshHefnerX 10-11-2018 06:31 PM

Been lurking a while here, and finally picked up a 4th gen. Seats are done in - fabric is all good but the foam is shot. Figured there'd be some solutions on here for seats and there's a funny distinct lack of aftermarket seats mentioned in this forum. I've seen the Ciphers and they more or less fit, but most are too large from what I gather - and sit too high.

Any tips would be appreciated.

How are the Cipher seats holding up?

eb110americana 10-11-2018 10:40 PM

Mine have held up pretty well. I used them daily for about 3 years, now the car has been sitting for over 2. There are only 2 issues. When I got them, i noticed little tiny black dots on the light gray "leatherette." I don't know if they are injection points or what. If I wiped hard enough with ArmorAll, they would go away, but now that seems harder or impossible to do. It is only cosmetic, but the tiny dots about the size of the period at the end of this sentence are odd blemishes. The other is that the plastic pass-through for a harness on my driver's seat has a crack in it. It looks like the foam from the seat pushed up against it for long enough that it cracked. Those bits look cheap, so if I have to replace, hopefully it is not hard or expensive. That is also cosmetic, since it is only at the edge. The leatherette is still softer than any leather that was ever in these cars, and the foam is still good. I would never go back to the factory seats.

JoshHefnerX 10-12-2018 10:11 AM

Thanks for the update!

Good to hear some seat info. Never really understood why there wasn't much info. These are fairly hard to fit for other seats due to the height.

hokeplaya05 10-12-2018 11:30 AM

corbeau makes brackets that fit in our cars, I have a set of corbeau forza fixed back seats with their double locking sliders in my car and really like them. I know there are a couple guys on here with fx1's in their cars too.

bluestreak98 10-15-2018 09:09 AM

I have a set of Recaro Speed seats in my hardtop SS on a set of wedge engineering brackets. I sit very low and comfortable.

In my turbo car I have Corbeau seats with the Corbeau brackets and i sat way too high. I had to modify them.