LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Appearance & Detailing (https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing-18/)
-   -   Replacement Camaro headlamps (https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/1891352-replacement-camaro-headlamps.html)

JimMueller 02-07-2018 10:49 AM

Replacement Camaro headlamps

Mine are a little worse for the wear, and I want to look into converting to a more efficient headlamp style. It looks like LED's are preferred over HID, but other than that, the various CCFL, halo, projector, and other various terms have my head swimming. I'm basically looking for the OEM look, with the best natural and effective lighting solution that is simple to install. I want it to be low maintenance, but prefer functionality over bling.

Any specific feature combinations or models you can recommend?

jaxcam02 02-07-2018 12:42 PM

DEPO Black housing headlamps. Cant beat them really for price, looks and performance without going absolutely bonkers fitting HIDs or LEDs in them.

JimMueller 02-07-2018 03:54 PM

These? If yes, I see comments about the following... I'd rather pay more for a better designed product.

From comments:
1) poor weather seal, comes loose soon after installation
2) poor adjusters, needing to move over the OEM adjusters
3) better to use the OEM lamp bracket
4) Review: The picture shows one of the headlights with a clear lens and black painted inside forward facing bezel with standard reflective surface surrounding the bulbs. An awesome and functional look. The actual headlights had a clear lens with most of the inside reflective surfaces painted black, including the bulb surrounds, thus cutting down on the overall brightness of the bulbs.

HCI2000SS 02-07-2018 04:02 PM

I have the whistler depot headlights from Amazon. While the fitment isn't quite as good as OEM it's still close enough. As far as any real issues I haven't had any in the 2 years that I've owned them. Of course they look much better than stock

clinebarger 02-07-2018 06:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You can save your original lenses......
Remove the Headlights.
*Use a heat gun to remove the rubber weatherstriping.
*Use 1000 grit sandpaper & WET sand the lenses to remove the oxidation, Keep the sandpaper WET! (I prefer 3M).
*You can now switch to 2000 grit IF you want to best possible finish (Keep it WET!).
*Use 3M Machine Polish & Polish the lenses at low speed with a drill & Buffing Wheel. Use enough polish to keep from burning the lens.
*Reinstall the weatherstripping with 3M weatherstripping adhesive.....Super Glue also works.
*Top it off with some new headlight bulbs.

Mine were VERY oxidized.....Caulky White from the Texas sun, I just did the 1000 grit & machine polish & didn't spend the time to make them perfect as my car is going to get painted in the next year.

Attachment 717744
Attachment 717745

jaxcam02 02-07-2018 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by JimMueller (Post 19828744)
These? If yes, I see comments about the following... I'd rather pay more for a better designed product.

https://www.amazon.com/Depo-335-1122.../dp/B005XRQ694

From comments:
1) poor weather seal, comes loose soon after installation
2) poor adjusters, needing to move over the OEM adjusters
3) better to use the OEM lamp bracket
4) Review: The picture shows one of the headlights with a clear lens and black painted inside forward facing bezel with standard reflective surface surrounding the bulbs. An awesome and functional look. The actual headlights had a clear lens with most of the inside reflective surfaces painted black, including the bulb surrounds, thus cutting down on the overall brightness of the bulbs.

I bought mine from 6LE a few years ago. I have never had any issues described above. Those look like knockoffs to me. I paid something in the $300 range.

JimMueller 02-08-2018 10:01 AM

I've used headlamp cleaner before, but the trouble lamp I have was previously clear coated and removing the peeling clear coat has been a challenge. Besides, some of the plastic mounting tabs on the rear of the headlamp have cracked off and making them a little loose.

I'll check out 6LE's options. I've already chatted with BLS on their HID solutions.

SparkyJJO 02-08-2018 11:36 AM

6LE at one point was painting OEMs, maybe...? or he was just selling the Depo lights at a big markup.

I have BLS lights on my car, which uses the Depo lights as a foundation they work off of. No moisture issues with them at all. I think I may have adjusted the "non-adjustable" post to close the gap some. It is just a screw post. I don't recall if I just pushed it outward a bit or I may have put a few washers in to space it out some.

JimMueller 02-08-2018 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO (Post 19829271)
6LE at one point was painting OEMs, maybe...? or he was just selling the Depo lights at a big markup.

I have BLS lights on my car, which uses the Depo lights as a foundation they work off of. No moisture issues with them at all. I think I may have adjusted the "non-adjustable" post to close the gap some. It is just a screw post. I don't recall if I just pushed it outward a bit or I may have put a few washers in to space it out some.

Ae you using the Bi-Xenon or HID kit? If the latter, where did you place the ballasts to keep them away from heat & moisture?

SparkyJJO 02-10-2018 12:18 PM

HID. I put the ballasts on the flat metal support/frame/thingy behind the lights. They fit perfectly there. I used industrial velcro to hold them in place. They are weatherproof so if they get somewhat wet they're fine.

ChopperDoc 02-10-2018 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by jaxcam02 (Post 19828578)
DEPO Black housing headlamps. Cant beat them really for price, looks and performance without going absolutely bonkers fitting HIDs or LEDs in them.

+1 for black housing headlights.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...24bd38eea8.jpg

ATXSS 02-13-2018 11:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Depots from Amazon, happy customer here.