Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

aftermarket seat review/thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default aftermarket seat review/thread

I figured i would put up a review of my aftermarket seats. I know everyone has different tastes and I looked for over a year before i decided.
Lots of opinions, and aftermarket seat track reviews for these cars seem to be bad at best.

I decided on corbeau sport seats with corbeau seat tracks with double locking sliders. i think i got a decent deal on them.

the seat tracks installed pretty straight forward. they are not a perfect fit but i did not grind, cut, drill, etc. When mocked up three of the four corners set flush. one was not fully sitting on the floor. like a table with one leg a little too short. the tracks are very strong and thick and when bolted down, i didnt notice wobble or anything.

the seats simply bolted to the track. this must be done before seat track is bolted to floor. the track sits VERY low to the ground. as low as possible. the seat bolts directly to seat track with no room to spare. This also makes moving the seats forward difficult since the track catches on the bottom of the seat upholstry. this isnt a big issue...as the seats pretty much have to remain most of the way back for anyone over 5'8" to fit. pretty much like the stock seats.

the seats sit way low...but with the extra cushion in the seatpad you still sit higher. noticeably higher. again, not as bad as i was expecting. the seats are big, a heavy guy could fit just fine. They certainly arent sporty, but they are very comfortable and day and night vs. stock seats. the bolsters on seat are noticeably better than stock, but not too racey. getting in and out is easy. easier than stock.

the headrest is adjustable on these seats. but they mostly have to stay all the way down to not hit the roof. thats ok, even all the way down they still provide plenty of height for me and im 6 ft even.

the place i ordered from.....they had everything shipped directly from corbeau in utah. from order to door took less than a week including weekend.

hope this helps at least a little with the millions on seat questions on here.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

This is my criteria for seats:

- Not interested in fabricating my own brackets, sliders, or any of that nonsense to get them to sit at the stock height and function properly. I expect whatever brackets I purchase to not need to be further modified. They need to be able to tilt forward and backward, and slide like the stock seats and be at stock ride height. I'm not interested in hitting my helmet on the roof or the seats sitting so high that I have to stare at the sun visor.

-Need to accept 5 point harness and have an anti submarine slot. Double locking slider preferred.

-Need to have a seat belt guide to also accept factory seat belts. Must be
sewn in and supported that won't rip off the sides.

-Material needs to be durable. Not interested in having to replace the covers because of cheap material.

-Comfortable or more comfortable that stock OEM camaro seats

-Must weigh less than stock seats

If these basic conditions can't be met, than I might as well modify my stock seats to accept a 5 point harness.

Seems like either the Corbeau LG1s or the 6LE seats meet my criteria.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Another criteria people should consider is crash testing. I don't think many places like 6LE or especially the ebay companies will do crash testing to ensure you aren't going to be injured or kill but the seat breaking or collapsing on you in a crash. Money aside, this is the biggest reason I haven't moved to aftermarket seats.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

A 5 point harness in stock seats would mess one up pretty bad with a 10 point cage.

Look at FIA certified seats. Check out FIA Homologation 8855-1999