Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Swapping out the grey buttons in the Firebird interiors.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 09:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping out the grey buttons in the Firebird interiors.....

Hey guys, I'm looking into swapping out the grey buttons in my 02 WS6 to the black buttons that are in the Camaros like the steering wheel radio controls, the a/c controls and the window switches. Since my interior is Ebony Black, I thought this would be a nice touch to get rid of the grey. I'm sure the A/C controls just pop off and I can swap those, but has anyone else swapped the window switches and the steering wheel radio controls? I haven't messed with them too much, so I'm just seeing if anyone else have done this and maybe pick up a little pointers or advice.

Last edited by StealthWeaponLS1; 05-07-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've swapped out the buttons before. Its not that bad of a job. There is a YouTube video that shows you how to pull the air bag to have better access to button wiring harnesses. Everything else should be plug and play. You will want to change the hvac lights,etc as they will be green. Check your local you pull its, you should be able to get parts cheap.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

If you pull the air bag, disconnect both battery terminals first and touch them together to totally discharge the electrical systems otherwise your airbag could deploy.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Excellent advice guys. SMG267, for changing out the window switches - do the window switches themselves clip on to the window switch module or does the whole window switch module need to be replaced with the Camaro window switch module? Also what color do you recommend i change the light bulbs for the HVAC ***** to?
Old 04-24-2018, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by StealthWeaponLS1
Excellent advice guys. SMG267, for changing out the window switches - do the window switches themselves clip on to the window switch module or does the whole window switch module need to be replaced with the Camaro window switch module? Also what color do you recommend i change the light bulbs for the HVAC ***** to?

The side mirror switch is different from what I remember. I know that the Camaro and Firebird used a different switch to move the mirrors. There was a thread on here years ago for a Camaro to Firebird door panel swap. I believe in the end the guy just fabbed the Camaro side mirror switch on to the panel. I'll see if I can find it.

*Found it

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...l#post15264720

"Its a pretty easy swap, there is 1 hook that you have to cut off the TA door panel to get it to fit, its easy to figure out which one it is once you hold the door panel up into position. The lines at the dash line up just fine, The door handle & lock assembly is the same & the only issue with the electric buttons is the mirror adjustment. The windows & locks plug right in. With the mirrors you will have to cut & rewire to get the TA switch to work with the camaro plug. I on the other hand redid the bezel so I could get the camaro button to work on the TA door. Some people just get the mirrors where they want them & then leave it un-plugged.

Raptor..... Don't you already have TA door panels? " ~ McNORD

Last edited by smg267; 04-24-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Hey guys, I'm looking into swapping out the grey buttons in my 02 WS6 to the black buttons that are in the Camaros like the steering wheel radio controls, the a/c controls and the window switches. Since my interior is Ebony Black, I thought this would be a nice touch to get rid of the grey. I'm sure the A/C controls just pop off and I can swap those, but has anyone else swapped the window switches and the steering wheel radio controls? I haven't messed with them too much, so I'm just seeing if anyone else have done this and maybe pick up a little pointers or advice.
how did you make out of the steering wheel buttons?
Old 04-29-2018, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

I did mine last night with the help of this post. After putting in the black ones and testing them out, I realized the lights were white. I wanted red for sure. I found more info on how to correct that. I had to pry the electric board in the back of the controls and swap them out. It wasn’t to hard, just a little nerve racking because they don’t just pop out. But with a little prying they can come out.

Swapped them out and now they are black buttons glowing red. Thanks for the help.

Heres a picture for anyone else curious

Old 04-30-2018, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Maximus0066

how did you make out of the steering wheel buttons?
I've been busy lately and haven't got around to doing it yet, but I do plan on doing this. Still trying to find all the buttons lol
Old 04-30-2018, 01:46 PM
Launching!

I did mine last night with the help of this post. After putting in the black ones and testing them out, I realized the lights were white. I wanted red for sure. I found more info on how to correct that. I had to pry the electric board in the back of the controls and swap them out. It wasn’t to hard, just a little nerve racking because they don’t just pop out. But with a little prying they can come out.

Swapped them out and now they are black buttons glowing red. Thanks for the help.

Heres a picture for anyone else curious

How hard is it to change out the lights? Probably as easy as changing out led lights?
Old 04-30-2018, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

How hard is it to change out the lights? Probably as easy as changing out led lights?
It isn’t hard. It just takes patience to pry that board out. I used two small screw drivers.

In the first picture you can see two blue “cone”shape things. Those are the lights for the buttons. I suppose you could replace the bulb but I just switched the boards instead
Old 05-01-2018, 08:10 PM
Launching!

It isn’t hard. It just takes patience to pry that board out. I used two small screw drivers.

In the first picture you can see two blue “cone”shape things. Those are the lights for the buttons. I suppose you could replace the bulb but I just switched the boards instead
I think I`ll switch out the boards, sounds a lot easier doing it that way lol
Old 05-07-2018, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Well I finally got a chance to sit down and put the Camaro switches in my T/A switch bezel and I knew the switches would be smaller, but wow they are a LOT smaller. I have been doing some research and found that a way to make the switches look better is to use plastic filler for flexible plastics to change the size of the switch openings, can you anyone suggest a good plastic filler to use to achieve this?

Last edited by StealthWeaponLS1; 05-07-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:29 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I swapped to the camaro ones as well.